Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:48:10 AM EDT
yekimak mentioned them in another thread and it got wondering who else has any Star pistols.

I have a Star Firestar 9mm, the first conceal pistol that I know of, although they're awfully heavy by todays standard. I also have a Star Model 30 one of the first "Wonder nines" as they refered to them, a 15+1 capacity pistol that kind of  resembles a CZ. It's picky about ammo though, and that sucks.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I have a nickel Firestar.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got an old Star BM.  It was my Jeep pistol for a while, but I replaced it with a wheelgun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Dan's Ammo had a bunch of Star B's for ~ $200.  Not on the Kaliban list tho..
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Star Mod 30 good stuff. I also bought 5 extra mags in addition to the 2 factory ones, before the manufacturer stop making the guns and the importer Interarms of Alexandria VA went out of business.   I still have the blue box with all the cleaning brush and instruction manuals.  I have never had a problem with ammo in my Model 30.  My Mod 30 shoot all kinds of 9mm factory ammo, plus all of the ones I reload.  It never fails to go bang, if I keep it clean.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought the C&R Model B. Didn't like hollowpoints so I sold it to a friend.
He loves to show people that they do make 1911's in 9mm.
I would like to get one of the Wermacht stamped ones.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Firestar M-45.

As T_B_S said, very nice little gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Star Modelo B in 9mm Largo.  Cool little gun. I bought the 9mmX19  replacement bbl. from FAC and that works okay with factory loads.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Just finishing a nice little conceal carry project I'm doing with a Star Model S in .380.   Its actually a locking breach system, like a 1911 -- so its light and the slide is thin.   Very nice and decently accurate too.   I've checkered the frontstrap (did it myself, total pain in the ass), and grooved the rear of the grip.   Made some custom australian sheok grips, and am fixing to give it a coat of moly resin in the next few weeks.

My big debate right now is on sights, as I kind of want to put 3 dot sights on it if I can (which would require getting the slide cut with a front dovetail).

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a BKM, which was the alloy-frame model, and still have a BM.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to have an Astra...does that count?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Next to the Tokerov and Makerov various models of Star pistols are next in line for most common over here. A small .22 seems to turn up quite often.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well, it is from Spain, so it's close.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I think Star merged with either Astra or Llama.  I remember reading a press release.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#17]
had a star pd. sweet little piece!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Used to see these often at a local sporting goods store.  While they looked good and felt good (handling them in the store), I was reluctant due to price (read: get what you pay for mentality).
Good to hear they many have a decent opinion of them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
had a star pd. sweet little piece!

This gun was the forerunner of many ultra-small 45ACP guns that you see today.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#20]

I picked up two Star BMs for $300 a couple years back.  Found some magazines for about $15 each.  Nice little guns.  Comfortable, not bad on the recoil, REAL nice trigger.  MAN I wish Star didn't go out of business!  A nice BKM would probably be a great carry pistol!  

One of the pistols I got would not go into battery the whole way.  Of course, the guide rod screws into a base, and it would NOT budge.  I think I found that Numrich had complete recoil spring/guide assemblies, so I ordered one, and now it locks up good.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to carry a Star PD in 45ACP for a little while back in the 80's.
This used to be the smallest and lightest single action 45ACP pistol until the Colt Officer series came out.  Star was a decent little piece and was reliable with JHP ammo of the time which was saying a lot in those days.  The alloy frame didn't hold up for very long when you shot factory ammo a lot.  It wasn't a target gun accurate but it was good enough for carry gun.
Decent pistol for the time.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a Firestar M40 (.40 S+W) in the nickel (Starvel) finish.  I bought it when I worked in a north Houston wine/liquor store.  I only carried it for a few hours at a time while at work.  I felt a little uncomfortable with only 6 + 1 capacity so I also always had an extra magazine with me.  It weighs more than my SIG P220, but is much more concealable.  I now have a P229, so I haven't fired my Star in a few years.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Star Modelo B in 9mm Largo.  

Me too, got it for free.  But the slide spring is kinda week and results in malfunctions.  Definitely not a "go to" gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Star Modelo B in 9mm Largo.  

Me too, got it for free.  But the slide spring is kinda week and results in malfunctions.  Definitely not a "go to" gun.

Me too!  They guy it was bought from in California was converting them to .38 Super.

Ony YEARS later did we find out that was not such a hot idea.

We had some trouble finding good magazines for it, but once I found a couple reliable mags I actually used it as a home defense gun in my last couple years at school in Riverside.

Now its not operable.  The slide release broke, one of the reasons WHY you should not shoot .38 Super in that gun, pieces will fall off.  The slind now closes after the last round onto the mag follower which DOES hold it open, but then requires you to manually hold the slide back to get the mag to drop out!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]
i have a m40, and a friend bought one used. mine broke the extractor 4 years ago, got it fixed. my friends broke the extractor on the first shot when he bought it. cant find the extractor anywhere ( 1 year ago ). i have sense found out the extractors on the 40 like to break. and they are N/A

do a search there are wanted posts on a lot of sites for the extractor, now mine sits, but i love the gun
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a BM.. Other then it not feeding hollowpoints, I've never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Megastar .45acp!

Also doubles as a boat anchor, paperweight for tornado alley, traction weight for the back of the truck in winter, and a mighty effective club.  My first handgun, I owe my massive biceps to it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have a BM.. Other then it not feeding hollowpoints, I've never had a problem with it.

I have had zero problems with my Star Mod 30 feeding all sorts of multiple bullet nose configurations, ie hollow points, flat nose, round nose, truncated point, SWCs.  This gun is a good comptetior to the Beretta 92s, Sig 226s etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a Star PD .45, sold it to my father-in-law.  It is feather light, accurate, and dependable.  I love that gun and hope that I can trade him back out of it someday.

Mags are a little hard to find and expensive when you can find them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Star Firestar Plus in 9mm. Eats up anything I feed it, NEVER had one FTE or FTF in over 4 years and 1000's of rounds, I even put some night sights on it and used it for my carry gun for awhile. It's so damn heavy though that now I carry a nice, light Kahr PM9. But for the record, I would never sell this gun just based on the fact that it is accurate, dependable, and I bought it pretty cheap! I just wish they made spare parts for it still. . . .
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Just finishing a nice little conceal carry project I'm doing with a Star Model S in .380.   Its actually a locking breach system, like a 1911 -- so its light and the slide is thin.   Very nice and decently accurate too.   I've checkered the frontstrap (did it myself, total pain in the ass), and grooved the rear of the grip.   Made some custom australian sheok grips, and am fixing to give it a coat of moly resin in the next few weeks.

My big debate right now is on sights, as I kind of want to put 3 dot sights on it if I can (which would require getting the slide cut with a front dovetail).

I have a Star PD. I had a ambi saftey made for it. One fact I like about it was the importer. Garcia out of get this "Washington DC". Most PD's will feed about anything. if there having a problem its because of the guide and sping combo being worn.

I als had an S I was an idiot for trading it. I'm still on the lookout for one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
yekimak mentioned them in another thread and it got wondering who else has any Star pistols.

I have a Star Firestar 9mm, the first conceal pistol that I know of, although they're awfully heavy by todays standard. I also have a Star Model 30 one of the first "Wonder nines" as they refered to them, a 15+1 capacity pistol that kind of  resembles a CZ. It's picky about ammo though, and that sucks.

Had a M43 9mm...small enough, but felt like a brick. Shot the shit out of it, sold it off, and bought a Glock 19...never looked back. While the Star was 100% reliable (it had a problem initially, sent it back to the importer; they fixed it, and it ran 100% after that), it just didn't cut it because of the weight.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a nickel Firestar .45.  I still have a blued one, but it is K-koted now.  I put a bunch of rounds through it and have had it since the model first hit the market.  It is still very tight, has an excellent trigger and had NEVER jammed.

FYI early models were recalled to replace the slide lock.  I had mine replaced free, but never had a problem with it.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Astra 400 (9mm Largo)

Star Modelo Super (9mm Largo)

Star Model B (9mm Luger)

Star Model BM (9mm Luger)

LL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#36]
got a BM several years ago
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#37]
One of the first 9mm I ever got was a Star 30MI. Ive had it now 16 years and it continues to funnction outstandingly. When youve put thousands of rounds through a gun and still never get bored shooting it you become so natural with it that you believe you can hit almost anything at any range. Id put it up against any Beretta 92 series. The trigger pull is so light and crisp that Ive
shot off 5 rounds so fast that range masters have walked up. The guy in the stall next to me was like WTF you shooting? Something about the internal rails that give this gun a unique feel.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#38]
A Star 30PK was my first pistol.  Great pistol and very reliable but the aluminum seems a little soft and I don't shoot it any more out of concern for the wear on teh slides.  One of these days I'll pick up a 30M with the steel frame.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Had an Utrastar 9mm. Nice little gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I had a BM and gave it to a buddy.

Sound like you have shit for friends!

Sorry, I thought it was punny.

My mom has a Star Starfire.  It's a small 1911-like .380.  I think Iver Johnson sold a derivative of it called the Pony or something.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Star BM and it'll feed about anything. It will even feed an empty case out of the mag, time after time. A great little pistol for the money.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Colt Star Collectable

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#44]
got a star firestar in  40cal

just picked up a 1943 star model B in 9mm

the model Bs are kali OK = C&R. they are being sold here for 200bucks, im tempted to get another.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#45]
M-45 Starvel Firestar: Had it ported and installed bar dot tritium sights.
Used to be my primary carry piece for a while.

I also have an Astra 400 in 9mm Largo.
Fun toy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#46]

I remember handling the Firestars when they were being sold new.  I liked the size, but the bottom of the backstrap was very sharp, and poked right into the fleshy part of my hand.  Didn't like that.  IIRC, they overcame that issue with the Firstar Plus' wraparound grip, but at the cost of increased size.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#47]
bumpski.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Star Model B in 9mm, currently in use as a truck gun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#49]
My girlfriend loves to shoot and loves all things orange (good news, bad news). For Christmas I looked for a lower cost pistol for a special project and found a surplus Star BM 9mm for about $150. After a quick trip to CCR Refinishing (who I recommend for excellent service and even better quality) below is the result.

Great gun that reminds me of a compact 1911.

Let the jokes begin but she loved it

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Star firestar 9mm in Starvel finish. Nice little gun, actually has a grip that one can use on a smaller pistol, very reliable, finish has held up very well over the years. Very decent guns for the price but heavy. I still would rather carry one of these then most of the kelteccy types out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top