Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 6:43:40 AM EDT
I was wondering if there is some kind of power adapter made that allows a laptop to be plugged in for longer flights to keep the battery from going dead. I'm pretty sure that the 1st class passengers get the DC outlets, like cars have, but what about coach? Anyone know? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

APC has a universal power supply with an airline attachment
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not seen any outlets in coach. Only first class and business class.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]

I think it depends on the airline - but in coach there are usually power outlets every couple of rows (at least there is on American Airlines)

You can get the adapter at Radio Shack.  A car adapter will work on most planes, but there is another smaller plane -specific adapter as well.  Most kits will include both.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#4]
For some of the laptops we have at work, we have Lind Auto/Air power adapters.  They aren't exactly chaep, but they seem well built and work well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the replies. I'm going to look into the adapter. I looked at the APC unit and from the limited customer reviews I read, it seems that it doesn't give nearly the battery life it claims (8 hours claimed; 1-2 hours according to customers). I have a pretty powerful notebook because I do CAD work on it, so it drains a lot of power. I'm hesitant to spend $200 on the APC unit if it's only going to give me 1-2 hours of life. My stock battery gives that and I can buy an extra one for $130.

So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I may just try and go for the power adapter and hope that coach has something that I can use.

Thanks for the ideas!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Find out the airline you will fly on, find out the aircraft type, and find out your seat assignment.

I bet if you call the airline and talk to the right people, you can find out if you'll have access to power on board.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Check ou tthis website...it will give you configurations for all the seat maps on planes, and where you can find power outlets.  It's not just first class on domestic flights.  They're random.

linky
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Check ou tthis website...it will give you configurations for all the seat maps on planes, and where you can find power outlets.  It's not just first class on domestic flights.  They're random.

linky

That's a pretty cool site.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

linky

That's awsome! Thanks!

Now I just need to figure out what kind of plane I'm on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

linky

:-)  I'm the official arf.com travel agent!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

linky

:-)  I'm the official arf.com travel agent!

I'll have to remember that if I ever fly anywhere in a plane that isn't painted gray with USAF written on the wings.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I found out that there are no power ports on the plane. So looks like I'm going to need battery power if I want to work for longer than 1-2 hours. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, I found out that there are no power ports on the plane. So looks like I'm going to need battery power if I want to work for longer than 1-2 hours. Thanks for the help!

You can also start looking at optimizing your laptop for battery life.  Dependin on what you're working on in flight there should be some things you can do to prolong the up time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]
You might also be able to buy an extra large extended life battery that will fit your laptop.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Just don't bring fire.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#16]
i suggest drilling through the window and putting out a wind turbine to generate electricity.  that is guaranteed to make some juice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i suggest drilling through the window and putting out a wind turbine to generate electricity.  that is guaranteed to make some juice.

I thought of that, but then I came across a device called a pissycler. It's a small piss powered turbine. I plan to ask for lots of soda and beer on the plane. As long as I can keep peeing on it and keep the turbine going I should have power .

Ok seriously, I went out and bought the APC unit at CompUSA that fight4yourrights suggested. It claims up to 8 hours, but I have a feeling it will be a bit less with my power hungry laptop. We shall see! Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought of that, but then I came across a device called a pissycler. It's a small piss powered turbine. I plan to ask for lots of soda and beer on the plane. As long as I can keep peeing on it and keep the turbine going I should have power .

Ok seriously, I went out and bought the APC unit at CompUSA that fight4yourrights suggested. It claims up to 8 hours, but I have a feeling it will be a bit less with my power hungry laptop. We shall see! Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Cycle that external battery pack a few times before the flight.  The capacity will increase a bit as it is discharged/recharged, up to a point.  Depending on battery chemistry, it might keep getting better for a few hundred cycles, then start to decline.

The first few cycles are most likely going to be shorter than what you'll usually see from there on out.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
For some of the laptops we have at work, we have Lind Auto/Air power adapters.  They aren't exactly chaep, but they seem well built and work well.

We have the Lind as well, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen a place to jack into on any flight I've taken.  Guess that's what I get for working for a cheap company that only flies coach.  (that biz class section looks comfy!)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]
American is one of the few that (somewhat) consistently has power outlets in coach.  Some of the newer 777s that Continental and others use for Intl flights have power outlets in coach.  American uses the std cig lighter plug, other guys usually use the funky airline plug.  I'd recommend an iGo adapter that replaces your AC brick also.  The flat Targus ones are smaller but tend to fry in 240v countries even though they're labeled as dual voltage.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#23]
There is usually a power plug in the head for running an electric razor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.sanko-wild.com/sirent/ham712.jpg

That hamster needs a much bigger wheel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I've used batteries with much success.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

linky

that is so cool.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top