Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:16:21 AM EDT
I've been using a few pairs of 5.11's for about 6 months now.  I wear them 5-days a week.  They all gave out in the same spot at the same time.  There are now holes in the crotch of all of them.  I figure it's normal wear since they were getting a bit thin through that area over the last few weeks.  I like 5.11's a lot, they're very comfy, but I think they should have lasted a little longer than they did.  I might go back to khaki BDU's.  I've had a few pairs of Proppers that have survived for almost 5 years.  Anybody have any recommendations for pants that last?  MJD
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

They all gave out in the same spot at the same time.  There are now holes in the crotch of all of them.

Stop rubbing yourself down there.

You'll go blind.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My 5.11s get worn all the time. Other than the occasional mud stain, they haven't given me any problems.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like they may be a little tight in that area. Go up a size, wear a belt or suspenders. You're not in high school anymore.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been wearing some of mine for 3 years and they're aren't worn out yet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds like they may be a little tight in that area. Go up a size, wear a belt or suspenders. You're not in high school anymore.

Well, I guess that's because of the massive cajon... nevermind.  Seriously, they aren't tight at all and I already went up a size to accomodate my Sig 220 and IWB holster.  I use a Don Hume belt and they sit right at waist level.  No sagging for me.  I would have thought I would have gotten more than 6 months out of $45 pants.  Mine were made in Cambodia, not U.S.A. if that is of any interest.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I wear them just about everyday for at least 3 years now.

I have had problems with the replacement ones much faster than the first 5 pairs I bought. Did you buy them at the same time, seem QC is hit or miss ?

last year purchased two pair same size but the crotch was cut WAY too short on one pair. I returned them to find the other 4 pair in my size were fucked up too. Got refund. The pair that fit has holes now at the rear pocket seams,  it took 3 years for the other to show the same wear

I went to another store while out of town picked up two pair in my size. One pair was TOO long and the other the waist was too tight. Still stitting in closet as I was out of town when I bought them.

Wife buys me the NEW ripstop nylon kind, same size as always. These fit like the old ones, perfect. I would buy this style again only after trying on first.

I am gun shy and cant recommend them anymore. Its hit or miss I can say I will not buy any anymore unless I can try them on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've heard complaints the the quality isnot what it used to be, how true that is, I don't know.
Woolrich is coming out with a competing brand/knock off at the shot show and Propper already sells  similar pair of pants, though with normal rear pockets.

It's true.

I have a pair of Royal Robbins 'Half-Dome' pants (the climbing pants that got picked up by tactical-types and became tactical apparel) and a pair of the 5.11 "tactical pants".  The Royal Robbins are better.  Even the material itself is better.

Also, I don't understand why they were adopted by tactical types unless we are talking super tactical.  The rise is way too low (the height between the crotch and the waist) so climbers don't have their pants all bunched up in their harness.  I realize some tactical types wear harnesses but seriously...how many 5.11 pants wearers here wear a harness?

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am gun shy and cant recommend them anymore. Its hit or miss I can say I will not buy any anymore unless I can try them on.

I think the companiy has multiple vendors, that is why you get some that fit you better at one time and doesn't fit another, and also why some wear out faster or longer than others.  They are probably made by different companies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've heard complaints the the quality isnot what it used to be, how true that is, I don't know.
Woolrich is coming out with a competing brand/knock off at the shot show and Propper already sells  similar pair of pants, though with normal rear pockets.

It's true.

I have a pair of Royal Robbins 'Half-Dome' pants (the climbing pants that got picked up by tactical-types and became tactical apparel) and a pair of the 5.11 "tactical pants".  The Royal Robbins are better.  Even the material itself is better.

Also, I don't understand why they were adopted by tactical types unless we are talking super tactical.  The rise is way too low (the height between the crotch and the waist) so climbers don't have their pants all bunched up in their harness.  I realize some tactical types wear harnesses but seriously...how many 5.11 pants wearers here wear a harness?

Ithink that started with the FBI academy. I poo poo ed them for awhile, but my older ones are pretty tough, reinforced like BDUs and have better belt loops, no stupid waist adjustment buckle (which interferes with some holsters) , the velco side pockets are easier to use than button ones and AR mags fit pretty good in the rear pocket.

Don't get me wrong Aimless, I think they're pretty good pants.  They have some great features but they are kind of specialized to climbing.  The rise especially and the loop for quick-draws and 'biners on the back right side.

I wear them though and not just for climbing.  But for comfort and freedom of movement I prefer the lightweight 7.5 oz Carhart single-knee dungarees.  I love those pants.  I guess a lot of it is personal preference too.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#12]
what aimless sez, woolrich elite
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...and AR mags fit pretty good in the rear pocket.

+1

The three pairs I have are all from when they were "Royal Robbins", not "5.11 Tactical." They've held up well these years.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#15]
not only that, he LISTENS to his customers and seeks their feedback and suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
what aimless sez, woolrich elite

These look nice.  Might be a good alternative.  I'll probably try out at least one pair.  I've got some other stuff, shirts mostly, from Woolrich and they're holding up quite well.  MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top