BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2006 5:09:55 AM EDT
Bush Orders Flags to Half Staff To Honor Coretta Scott King

President offers "mark of respect" for civil rights leader's memory

U.S. flags were ordered to be flown at half staff on public buildings, military posts and Navy vessels on February 7 to honor the memory of Coretta Scott King, under a proclamation issued by President Bush February 6.

King, the widow of civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr., died January 30. (See related article.)

President Bush and his wife plan to attend the funeral, scheduled for February 7 in Atlanta.

Following is the text of the proclamation:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
February 6, 2006

DEATH OF CORETTA SCOTT KING

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the memory of Coretta Scott King, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that on February 7, 2006, the day of her interment, the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on such day.  I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same period at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this sixth day of February, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirtieth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

www.usflag.org/nffhalfstaff.html

Remember when there was a time when Old Glory was not flown at half staff when ever some one gets a hair up their ass. It just irritates me when there is a a set standard as to when the flag is to be flowen at half staff and when ever some one blaitently ignores it.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I noticed that too on my way to work and thought the same thing.

Putting the flag at half mast may start to lose its meaning I'm afraid, if it hasn't already.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it everywhere?

King funeral?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Bush ordered it for the Carretta Scott King funeral.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
More Bush ultra-left ass kissing.  When will the sucka learn?  Is Jimma Cariter still dying?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

With all due respect to Ms. King mine is staying right where it is. This is getting out of hand.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With all due respect to Ms. King mine is staying right where it is. This is getting out of hand.

It's times like this when I'm glad I don't have a flag out.

I want to obey the President, but I don't think King deserves it.

Maybe I'd just take it down for the day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]
They closed schools in Dekalb County (in the Atlanta metro area) for the King funeral.

It will be quiet in the city of Atlanta today, well, quieter than a normal Tuesday.

I am downtown and our office is like a friggen' tomb....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Flags are lowered to half-staff when celebrities die now.

Eventually, flags will be lowered to half-staff permanantly because someone will die every day that qualifies for the half-staff treatment.  Then they'll just start making flag poles half-height to save money.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]
King.  Mrs. type.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#13]
For the death of the wife of the Prophet MLK.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Flags are lowered to half-staff when celebrities die now.

Eventually, flags will be lowered to half-staff permanantly because someone will die every day that qualifies for the half-staff treatment.  Then they'll just start making flag poles half-height to save money.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Where will the poor flag fly when lootie ODs?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"This mourning"

[arfkom guy]Everyone in the civil rights movent was a dirty commie!![/arfkom guy]

When I saw Betty Friedan died my first thought was "There'll bitching about that!" Seems like everytime anyone who had any involvment in the civil rights movement or women's rights croaks there are 10 threads here about how they were dirty commies.

Its not just civil rights movement leaders its wives of civil rights leader. when the CEOs of McDonalds bites the big greasy one. When Janet Reno says so for some DEA agents. When the mayor of some craptastic town in Arkansas says so.   It has totaly lost its meaning
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quit your bitching and hop on the PC bandwagon or you will be labeled an .
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#20]
You know he HAD to do it......
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#21]
What did she alledgedly do besides f*ck mlk jr.?

If thats all it takes alot of his whores are going to get a half flag tribute when they kick off.

PS He was a communist. Don't know if she was or not.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quit your bitching and hope on the PC bandwagon or you will be labeles an .

SO, who cares? I sure as fuck dont!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Pucker up Dubya!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Political Correctness is ruining this country.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
"This mourning"

[arfkom guy]Everyone in the civil rights movent was a dirty commie!![/arfkom guy]

When I saw Betty Friedan died my first thought was "There'll bitching about that!" Seems like everytime anyone who had any involvment in the civil rights movement or women's rights croaks there are 10 threads here about how they were dirty commies.

They aren't? News to me......
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Political Correctness is ruining this country.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#27]
My flag is all the way up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They closed schools in Dekalb County (in the Atlanta metro area) for the King funeral.

It will be quiet in the city of Atlanta today, well, quieter than a normal Tuesday.

I am downtown and our office is like a friggen' tomb....

Actually that is a good thing.  All the self inflated dignitaries are going to be screwing up traffic patterns something fierce.  Keeping the kids home will make a portion of their parents take a sick day.  That should offset some of the problems with traffic.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Excuse me but I got no problem with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I could see it for MLK, but not his wife.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't fly the flag half staff for a woman STUPID enough to get "alternative" care at a Mexican hospital and dies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Partial list of the attendees, all "notable" somehow:

Actress Nicollette Sheridan
Singer Michael Bolton
Atlanta City Council president Lisa Borders
V-103 radio personality Frank Ski
Sen. John Kerry
Sen. Bill Frist
Howard Dean, Democratic Party chairman
Former mayor Bill Campbell and wife Sharon
Valerie Jackson, widow of late Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson
Georgia Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor
Georia Secretary of State Cathy Cox
President George W. Bush and Laura Bush
Former president Jimmy Carter
Former president Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton
Former president George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush
Andrew Young and his brother Dr Walter Young
Hank and Billye Aaron
Comic and actor Chris Tucker
Former surgeon general Dr. David Satcher
Former Gov. Roy Barnes, Marie Barnes
Jesse Jackson
Al Sharpton
Dick Gregory
State Sen. Vincent Fort
DeKalb County CEO Vernon Jones

a whole lotta self-serving folks in that list....

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Bush Orders Flags to Half Staff To Honor Coretta Scott King

President offers "mark of respect" for civil rights leader's memory

U.S. flags were ordered to be flown at half staff on public buildings, military posts and Navy vessels on February 7 to honor the memory of Coretta Scott King, under a proclamation issued by President Bush February 6.

King, the widow of civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr., died January 30. (See related article.)

President Bush and his wife plan to attend the funeral, scheduled for February 7 in Atlanta.

Following is the text of the proclamation:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
February 6, 2006

DEATH OF CORETTA SCOTT KING

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the memory of Coretta Scott King, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that on February 7, 2006, the day of her interment, the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on such day.  I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same period at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this sixth day of February, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirtieth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

www.usflag.org/nffhalfstaff.html

Remember when there was a time when Old Glory was not flown at half staff when ever some one gets a hair up their ass. It just irritates me when there is a a set standard as to when the flag is to be flowen at half staff and when ever some one blaitently ignores it.  

As long as you mount them in the back of the bus it will be okay
....j/k
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry...  but she can kiss my ass.  ((( shakes head in disgust )))
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Partial list of the attendees, all "notable" somehow:

Actress Nicollette Sheridan
Singer Michael Bolton
Atlanta City Council president Lisa Borders
V-103 radio personality Frank Ski
Sen. John Kerry
Sen. Bill Frist
Howard Dean, Democratic Party chairman
Former mayor Bill Campbell and wife Sharon
Valerie Jackson, widow of late Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson
Georgia Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor
Georia Secretary of State Cathy Cox
President George W. Bush and Laura Bush
Former president Jimmy Carter
Former president Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton
Former president George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush
Andrew Young and his brother Dr Walter Young
Hank and Billye Aaron
Comic and actor Chris Tucker
Former surgeon general Dr. David Satcher
Former Gov. Roy Barnes, Marie Barnes
Jesse Jackson
Al Sharpton
Dick Gregory
State Sen. Vincent Fort
DeKalb County CEO Vernon Jones

a whole lotta self-serving folks in that list....

+1. Flags are at half-staff just so Kerry can't say "See we care about black people and Bush doesn't." Politicians are about as mature as my 6 year old cousin
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Slick Willie got a lot of milage out of worthless, empty, propaganda gestures toward the Black Community.  They seemed to eat it up.  It's all about showing RESPECT, and raking in votes. It is a tactic that is less effective for the GOP, but they can't afford to ignore it completely.

Thanks for the link DeadSled:

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

Apparently, CSK does not rate a halfstaff and GWB should have found another way to "show respect"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Here is a picture that is on the Atlanta Journal Constitution's web page...I know you will love this one....

Oprah was here yesterday doin' her thang....she was speaking at the services they had yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Isn't the death of Al Lewis enough reason to lower the flags to half mast?

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#40]
In Michigan, the governor (Granholm) has ordered that the American flag be flown at half staff every time a soldier in the state of Michigan is killed in Iraq.  This is done as a political statement to bring attention to the war.  My employer has stopped complying with the order for the exact reason that it diminishes the true significance of flying the flag at half staff due to the political connotation imposed upon it by the governor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
In Michigan, the governor (Granholm) has ordered that the American flag be flown at half staff every time a soldier in the state of Michigan is killed in Iraq.  This is done as a political statement to bring attention to the war.  My employer has stopped complying with the order for the exact reason that it diminishes the true significance of flying the flag at half staff due to the political connotation imposed upon it by the governor.

Fly it at 1/2 mast in distress (up side down) till that clown knocks off his self surving bullshit adgenda.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fly it at 1/2 mast in distress (up side down) till that clown knocks off his her self surving bullshit adgenda.

She's Canadian too...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Slick Willie got a lot of milage out of worthless, empty, propaganda gestures toward the Black Community.  They seemed to eat it up.  It's all about showing RESPECT, and raking in votes. It is a tactic that is less effective for the GOP, but they can't afford to ignore it completely.

Thanks for the link DeadSled:

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

Apparently, CSK does not rate a halfstaff and GWB should have found another way to "show respect"

Don't worry, I am sure the new and improved supreme court will overturn this as unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#44]
fuggin A
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Some one made the suggestion that we all wear mourning bands on our badges for the week.

...Not gonna happen.

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Some one made the suggestion that we all wear mourning bands on our badges for the week.

...Not gonna happen.

Sheep

For the man perhaps.............................................................................For his wife, with all due respect, no way.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Noooooooooooooo!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Bush is trying to get black votes for 2008.  Although that doesn't explain why he blew up the levee.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Guys,
no offense but show some respect.  Mrs. King and Mr. King were influential parts of getting civil rights to where they are today.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It could be worse. You could be the person (President) that chose to bestow this great honor on Mrs. King, only to go to her funeral to get bitch slapped by her pastor and a failed former President.

Note to President Bush: You could have Dr. & Mrs. King lie in state in the freakin' Oval Office until you leave it, and these liberals and black leaders will still disrespect you at every turn.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top