Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 8:50:53 PM EDT
Its like a one week class to give the Cops enough training to "question" illegals to determine if they are illegals
I bet I could do it in about fifteen minutes(without training)with a government database at my disposal

Program Federalizes Deputies To Process Illegal Aliens
February 6, 2006
www.wsoctv.com/news/6784297/detail.html
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A new program will federalize 10 Mecklenburg County deputies so that they can help U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detain and remove illegal aliens.

The program is the first of its kind to be implemented by a sheriff's office east of the Mississippi.

The announcement was made by Representative Sue Myrick, Mecklenburg County Sheriff Jim Pendergraph and ICE Assistant Special Agent-in-Charge Jeffrey S. Jordan.

"This new program changes how North Carolina responds to illegal aliens," said Rep. Myrick. "We have a shortage of federal agents to deal with illegal aliens in our state, and this program provides us with some much needed back up. My hope is that every county in North Carolina sees what we are doing here and applies to set up a similar program with ICE."

ICE said it will train 10 deputies to carry out certain duties traditionally handled by federal immigration officers. The Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office deputies will operate within the Mecklenburg County Jail facilities to interview foreign national inmates to determine whether there is probable cause for an immigration violation; complete the processing for criminal aliens, including fingerprinting; prepare documentation to place aliens in deportation proceedings concurrent with their prison term; and prepare documentation to deport aliens following their terms.

In addition, they will refer criminal aliens to the ICE Office of Investigations for potential criminal prosecutions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
They will fuck it up.  You can barely get someone at the Intake center to run an Intoxilyzer for you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Its still better than in Houston, where our Cops are still ignoring illegals

One of the biggest gathering places of illegals is straight down washington from the Police station

One day I was driving through there in a pickup truck and when I slowed down three illegals jumped in the back of my truck

I stopped and got out and thankfully I know some spanish, I was saying NO TRABAJO, NO TRABAJO(no work, no work)

I hate to think of how it might have gone if I did not speak spanish
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
We would like to do more (like be permitted to enforce immigration laws on the street), but instead they pitch some program like this.  Must be getting close to election time for Pendergraph
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I know the Cops would do more if not for the rules that tie their hands

Recently we had a Cop in Houston speak out about the official high speed no-chase policy

he was put on desk duty, and now I think they are suspending him for articles he wrote in his off time

Soooo.......even when you are NOT on duty, you are not allow to speak out against the HPD

How in the hell are the Citizens supposed to find out about problems if the Cops don't even have

their First Amendment Rights to speak out against wrongdoing or incompetence? Anonymous sources?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
federalizing deputies is not right, the Constitution intended the Sheriff to be the highest law officer and free of federal influence. Accountable only to the voters in that county.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Sensible approach
Jail-based immigration enforcement is focused and practical
Feb. 09, 2006
www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/opinion/13826392.htm
The effort to combat illegal immigration launched by Mecklenburg County Sheriff Jim Pendergraph and U.S. Rep. Sue Myrick of Charlotte is a welcome, and sensibly limited, way to deal with a tough problem.
Enforcement of immigration law is a federal job, and the federal government isn't doing it. Our borders are porous. Federal efforts to determine who's here illegally are ineffective. Congress seems more interested in debating about illegal immigration than deterring it. Local police don't want to take on immigration law enforcement because they don't have the mandate or the money for it. In addition, they're concerned with deterring crimes against people and property, and they fear if they're seen as enforcers of immigration law they'll lose contacts in the immigrant community they need to combat theft, assault, drug dealing and the like.
That's why the new program's focus makes sense. It trains sheriff's officers to check the immigration status of persons brought to the county jail on criminal charges, using a federal database of photographs, fingerprints and other information. Those who lack documentation and have been deported before or have been arrested for serious crimes will be turned over to federal officials for possible deportation.
This approach avoids a number of potential problems. It won't be funded by local tax dollars but by federal money the jail collects for housing federal prisoners. The enforcement effort will take place in the jail, not on the streets, so there's no appearance of a local police sweep through immigrant communities. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, whose officers have the primary law enforcement duties in this county, won't be involved, so immigrants will have no reason to think the officer on the street is doubling as an immigration investigator.
Local authorities won't solve our nation's immigration problem. But when illegal immigrants are arrested for crimes here, it makes sense to kick them out of the country.
The larger problem of illegal immigration is a federal responsibility. Trying to solve it through local police work is about like trying to stop a flood by putting on hip boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top