Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 7:30:25 PM EDT
Tonight i am drinking New Castle Brown Ale.
Looking on the back, It reads..

Brewed by Newcastle Federation Breweries.LTD
Dunston, England
Imported by Scottish & Newcastle importers San Rafael, CA

What i do not understand, is why not choose a location to import closer to the coast?

England to California seems like a farther trek than it needs to be.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Might not be the port their imported to (as I don't believe San Rafeal is a major CA port to begin with), just were their head office is located or where they are incorporated.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
where the company is has nothing to do with the port it is shipped to
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
the importer's address does not necessarily mean that is where it is received in this country,

and

some "imported" beer is brewed in North America,

another thing to think about is the travel time for the imported beer, and how long it sits in customs, + time to delivery to your place of purchase, (as in port-customs-distributor-store or bar)
makes you wonder what it tastes like fresh,,,
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought all beer came over via a transatlantic pipeline.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Most imported beer is actually brewed on contract in Canada.

The few that are actually imported are imported in bulk and bottled here, the beer is much more resistant to the rigors of shipping when it is in one huge 25,000 gallon container then it would be in thousands of 12 ounce ocntainers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask the bAtfe
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Because of the Boston Tea Party, they had to install a sub-oceanic hose from England all the way around the horn of South America (Argentina is the friend, dontcha know!) and up to the coast of California.  

Really......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top