Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 5:48:10 PM EDT
"Concealed weapons would be prohibited in certain areas, such as state government offices, schools, colleges, day-care centers, bars, sporting events, and any business that posts a sign banning them."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/13779281.htm
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The Overland Park Chamber of Commerce opposes the bill because it says signs are not enough to deter someone from carrying a gun into a business.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like GA too.  I think most states have those restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Concealed carry is only verbotten in schools and courthouses here in PA.  As much as I hate this hell-hole, it's actually a VERY gun-friendly state.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Concealed carry is only verbotten in schools and courthouses here in PA.  As much as I hate this hell-hole, it's actually a VERY gun-friendly state.

And that's the way it should be except you could not pick up your kids from school armed
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's the way it should be except you could not pick up your kids from school armed

Wait a minute. When they say "schools" do they mean you cant go IN the school or you cant go on the school PROPERTY? You mean I couldnt carry a pistol and park in the parking lot and wait for my kid?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems to be a grey area.  I actually like the way it's written in Washington.  It bans carry at schools (highschool and below), but specifically allows a person with a CPL to carry when picking up or dropping off students.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds a lot like Texas' laws, too.

HH
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]
VA I know has restrictions.  IN has these restrictions.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Ha ha.
Colorado lets you carry in bars. They really only ban where metal detectors are and businesses that post.
Luckily GOA didn't win in their effort to kill the "watered down" bill.

I sure hope Kansas passes this, a compromise is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most states have provisions where as long as you remain in your car you are ok....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll just be glad if it passes. Any of those places will just be a judgement call on my part as to whether I take the risk to carry illegaly. That's what I have to do now anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope this passes, I feel positively nekkid when I go to see my folks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'll just be glad if it passes. Any of those places will just be a judgement call on my part as to whether I take the risk to carry illegaly. That's what I have to do now anyway.

+1

Ohio has all those bullshit restrictions. As long as there is not a metal detector at the door, what they don't know won't hurt them.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You want to talk about hell hole.  You don't even know the half of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds just like what we have on our side of the border.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.  Schools are the place a parent most definitely NEEDS to be armed.  Those places are targets of opportunity for pedophiles, abducters, and maniacs.

I'll be god damned if I am going to be powerless to protect my child while I am there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ohio has all those bullshit restrictions. As long as there is not a metal detector at the door, what they don't know won't hurt them.  

Plus we can't carry concealed in the car
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hopefully that will change for the better with this Assembly in session.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait a minute. When they say "schools" do they mean you cant go IN the school or you cant go on the school PROPERTY? You mean I couldnt carry a pistol and park in the parking lot and wait for my kid?

Well, in Michigan it meant that you couldn't go onto school property with a gun, but there was an exemption for parents who had a CHL and a CH in there vehicle while dropping their kids off at school.

It doesn't matter though, since under federal law it is illegal to pass within 1000 feet of ANY school with any firearm (including a unloaded rifle in a case in your trunk).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hopefully that will change for the better with this Assembly in session.

A red X?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]
That's why I love PA.... The only prohibited places (besides National Parks) are Courtrooms, Jails, and secured areas of Airports.

Courtrooms and Jails MUST provide secured lockup facilities to check legally carried sidearms.

It's a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, in Michigan it meant that you couldn't go onto school property with a gun, but there was an exemption for parents who had a CHL and a CH in there vehicle while dropping their kids off at school.

It doesn't matter though, since under federal law it is illegal to pass within 1000 feet of ANY school with any firearm (including a unloaded rifle in a case in your trunk).

IIRC, that Federal law was struck down as unConstitutional.  Seems it muddies up the intrastate vs. interstate commerce issue.  Basically, the SCOTUS said that the Fed .gov had no business making such a law.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It seems to be a grey area.  I actually like the way it's written in Washington.  It bans carry at schools (highschool and below), but specifically allows a person with a CPL to carry when picking up or dropping off students.

Yep, we's lucky, not many places we can't carry compared to many states.  A business can post "NO GUNS", but it doesn't mean much of anything.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#27]
The school thing is what bugs me.

Several states ban CHP on school property and I fear Kansas might go that route.

Can't protect your kids.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, that Federal law was struck down as unConstitutional.  Seems it muddies up the intrastate vs. interstate commerce issue.  Basically, the SCOTUS said that the Fed .gov had no business making such a law.

US vs. Lopez overturned the original law in 1995, but I thought that it had be rewritten and repassed in 1996.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#29]
It was repassed. Klinton and Feinstein demanded it so!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Several states ban CHP on school property and I fear Kansas might go that route.

Can't protect your kids.

Better than no CCW at all, which is the current situation.  Hopefully we can get enough support in the Senate to get it past Miss Governor who believes only cops are capable of preventing their guns from being taken away and used against them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The Overland Park Chamber of Commerce opposes the bill because it says signs are not enough to deter someone from carrying a gun into a business.

ITS TRUE!

LAWS arent enough to deter some even today.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]
proposed Ne is the same way a couple of the fucktard in our unicameral want to mandate metal detectors for everyplace you can;t carry
Im sure the bar owners will foot that bill .....retards
yes we only have a unicameral only one in the US so Omaha and Lincoln can run roughshod over the rest of the state
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't protect your kids.

Better than no CCW at all, which is the current situation.  Hopefully we can get enough support in the Senate to get it past Miss Governor who believes only cops are capable of preventing their guns from being taken away and used against them.

Hope you guys do better than we did this last time around. Our Mrs. Governor is still in power to stop us
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Hope you guys do better than we did this last time around. Our Mrs. Governor is still in power to stop us

Ditto here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top