Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:06:58 PM EDT
I was on routine patrol with a reserve officer riding shotgun. We were working the second shift. It had snowed the night before and there was very little traffic on the road. I was traveling west on one of the main roads in town. As I went by one turn off road, I noticed a pickup truck sitting in the middle of the road.

I backed up and then pulled down the side road. It was right behind a house so I wanted to make sure no one was breaking into the house. I called in the vehicle stop as I activated my rotating lights. As I pulled up there were two men standing outside the passenger door pissing. I recognized one of the guys from a call I responded to from early that morning (more about that later).

The two guys piled back into the truck, I asked the driver for her drivers liscense, told her I would check her DL status and be right back. I walk back to my car to call in the DL number.

I'm sitting in my patrol car waiting for the DL check to come back. When I see the brake lights, then reverse lights come on and then she took off. I was thinking WTF in my mind.

I took off after the truck, lights and sirens. Called in that we were in pursuit. I followed this truck through town, lights and sirens blaring, then out the same road I was originally traveling and out into the country.

I followed this truck for 10-12 miles into the country with speeds never getting above 25-30 mph. Backup was many miles and minutes away because many roads were still covered in snow.

We made several turns while on this pursuit. Going further and further into the backwoods. I had no idea where we were going and was not familar with the area. They finally turned into a driveway and drove around the back of the house.

The truck finally came to a stop. I jumped out and rushed the truck. I opened the drivers door, reached in, cut off the ignition and took the keys. The middle passenger (same guy from earlier) reached over and smacked me in the head with his fist. He took another swing and I caught his arm.

I then dragged him from the truck, over the lap of the female driver (turns out to be the sister of middle passenger) and she was pulling back on him to keep him in the truck. She then took a swing at me and missed. I was able to pull the guy out and put him on the ground. I struggled with him and finally got him cuffed.

I then cuffed the female driver. In the meantime my reserve officer had cuffed the other passenger. I called in for a tow truck to come get the truck that was used to evade me. I arrested the woman for attepting to ellude and resisting arrest. I arrested the middle passenger for assault and resisting arrest. The tow truck shows up before my backup arrived.

The guy I arrested realized who I was he stated, if he had known it was me he would not have taken a swing at me.

Turns out the house where the pursuit ended was the parents house of the female driver and the middle passenger. Tow truck hooks up the truck, and I pull out right behind the tow truck to take my two prisoners to jail. The third guy was released because he did not do anything other than pee on the road.

The female driver stated to me the reason why she took off was because she did not want her brother and the other guy to go to jail for peeing on the side of the road. Which I never intended to do anyway. She ran for no reason.

I told you this story because this is the one case that got me in trouble. Do you know where I messed up?

Back fill to the story: The guy who was the middle passenger I met earlier that day at about 6:00 a.m. in the morning. The fire department received a call of a vehicle fire at the local stop and rob. I arrived first on scene and could see some fire and smoke coming from the engine compartment of a pickup truck. I used my patrol car to push the truck away from the gas pumps. FD arrived and put out the flames. I let the guy sit in my patrol car to warm up, gave him some cigarettes because his were now destroyed, then I gave him a ride home. We talked for about an hour total. Nice guy.

Here is what got me in trouble: I towed the vehicle from private property where the vehilce could have stayed and been safe. The Prosecutor decided since the female did not actually hit me, he did not think she was trying to prevent my arrest of the subject who actually hit me. Also Attempting to Ellude is not in itself at the time an arrestable offense in this state. I did not offer to cite and release her, I just arrested her and would not allow her to sign her own bond on the ellude charge. I could not do this since she did not have an issue according to her record of failure to appear. The Prosecutor let her plea to a failure to yield to an emergency vehicle. She signed a "I will not sue form" and he dropped the assualt and resisting arrest charge on the male passenger. We reimbursed her the $100 tow charge.

ETA: BTW this is the only case I ever made where I felt like I lost. I won all the rest.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Further proof that no good deed goes unpunished.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you know where I messed up?

You should not have shot the dog!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Pursuit when you had her ID in hand? hell I don't know lol
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Further proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

Yep.
That sucks......
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Where you messed up?
Too easy to make a joke out of that, so I won't.
Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
There was another post today about a LEO who shot thru the rear window of a pickup when it started rolling back towards him. I don't remember if he got off. If so, YOU SHOULD HAVE DRAWN DOWN!

ETA: you shouldn't have rushed the truck??
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry dude, maybe I' getting a little inebriated, but I don't see where you messed up.

-K
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Going off my non LEO and watch the show COPS occasionally----  so just a wild guess here.

You should not have ran to the vechicle to pull the keys, and you should have felony stopped them using your partner to help you detain suspects one at a time.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Going off my non LEO and watch the show COPS occasionally----  so just a wild guess here.

You should not have ran to the vechicle to pull the keys, and you should have felony stopped them using your partner to help you detain suspects one at a time.

True. But that's not what got me in trouble.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You had wild monkey sex with his sister that morning?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish. She was HOT.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You likely carry your service pistol on your right side. Reaching across the woman would have given her access to your pistol. Bad mistake. Your lucky!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]
dammit, just tell us the suspense is making me jumpy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
tagged, glad you are ok
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You likely carry your service pistol on your right side. Reaching across the woman would have given her access to your pistol. Bad mistake. Your lucky!

True. But still is not what got me in trouble.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
You didn't run him for warrents earlier in the day and he actually had a couple???(cops around here always do that before giving anyone a ride....)

Just a WAG
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish. She was HOT.

you had wild monkey sex with the dude peeing on the road who's car you pushed that monring?

No.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You didn't run him for warrents earlier in the day and he actually had a couple???(cops around here always do that before giving anyone a ride....)

Just a WAG

Nope. Did that. He did have a criminal record but no outstanding warrants.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Random guess 1 of two things,

You towed a truck that was at the person residence or you crossed jurisdiction when you finally got them stopped.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You towed a truck that was at the person residence or you crossed jurisdiction when you finally got them stopped.

Yep. But that was only part of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm guessing your job isn't a taxi and you got in trouble for taking the guy home or for giving him cigarettes and he was under 18.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#23]
it as the chiefs daughter?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm guessing your job isn't a taxi and you got in trouble for taking the guy home or for giving him cigarettes and he was under 18.

Nope, Late 20's early 30's.

Giving him a ride was considered good PR.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#25]
didn't wait for back-up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
didn't wait for back-up.

Backup did not arrive until after the tow truck arrived. Can't always wait for backup.

ETA: In rural areas backup is either going to be long time coming or not at all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Good guess. No reason to edit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I am now going to guess something along the lines of the truck that was towed belonged to the third person that you kind of left just standing there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#30]
ok..how about not radioing in your status or a situation update before rushing the truck?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I am now going to guess something along the lines of the truck that was towed belonged to the third person that you kind of left just standing there.

Nope. Belonged to the female driver.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
ok..how about not radioing in your status or a situation update before rushing the truck?

Sorry. I left that out of the story. I did call in every road we turned on along with the road number.

Still not it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Everything else has been guessed already.  Your fly was open?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#34]
You let him sit in your cruiser and burnt a hole in the seat with the Cigs you gave him..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Some towns don't allow lights-and-siren persuits through town.
Especially if you are going to risk government property in bad weather.

What were these people doing at that particular location?
Why did they choose that location to take a piss?
Was there something going on at the house that you should have noticed?
And why was your partner riding your shotgun?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Didn't read them their rights?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#37]
On questions like this one I always like to start with the wildest guess and work backward from there so.....
The driver and the middle passenger were really sisters and you frisked what you thought was a dude but was really a lady, the third passenger was really a transgendered whom also happened to be the middle passengers doctor who wouldve been performing the middle one sex change so that he/she could marry his half sister(driver)..

Thats about as wild of a guess as I can muster

And TAG because I have no clue
[beavis]Use the Taser!..THE TASER![/beavis]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#38]
This thread is usless without pics of the hot sister.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I updated the orignial post with the answer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Here is what got me in trouble: I towed the vehicle from private property where the vehilce could have stayed and been safe. The Prosecutor decided since the female did not actually hit me, he did not think she was trying to prevent my arrest of the subject who actually hit me. Also Attempting to Ellude is not in itself at the time an arrestable offense in this state. I did not offer to cite and release her, I just arrested her and would not allow her to sign her own bond on the ellude charge. I could not do this since she did not have an issue according to her record of failure to appear. The Prosecutor let her plea to a failure to yield to an emergency vehicle. She signed a "I will not sue form" and he dropped the assualt and resisting arrest charge on the male passenger. We reimbursed her the $100 tow charge.

But don't worry... you came out ahead.

Those cigarettes you gave him will give him cancer guarenteed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#42]
You didn't search the truck before you had it taken away??
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm guessing either the parents tried to press trespassing on you or the girl was a minor and her parents freaked.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You didn't search the truck before you had it taken away??

A complete inventory was done on the vehicle before it was towed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'm guessing either the parents tried to press trespassing on you or the girl was a minor and her parents freaked.

No. She was late 20's early 30's. Fine as hell.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#46]
You did not cite or arrest for the guy who pee'd in public, you just let him walk.  

If you have to chase someone, THEY ALL GO, EVERYONE, WOMEN, KIDS, DOG, EVERYONE....... is that the lecture they gave you ?  

ETA: If I was the Sergeant, that would be the lecture I would give....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You did not cite or arrest for the guy who pee'd in public, you just let him walk.  

If you have to chase someone, THEY ALL GO, EVERYONE, WOMEN, KIDS, DOG, EVERYONE....... is that the lecture they gave you ?  

Yes. Along with I should have wrote her for every stop sign she ran, failure to yield. Etc. I felt the resisting arrest charge should have stuck since she was actively trying to prevent my arrest of the male subject but the wussy prosecutor dropped it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#48]
damn lawyers. Sounds like a good arrest of all the subjects involved. Letting em off will just encourage more stupid behavior.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
damn lawyers. Sounds like a good arrest of all the subjects involved. Letting em off will just encourage more stupid behavior.

+1 The vid posted earlier of the headless guy flying across the median comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The Prosecutor told me he would have a hard time with the resisiting arrest charge because the female was about 115lbs and good looking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top