Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 1:31:31 PM EDT
Alright, so I'm trying to model a grenade in Blender (teaching myself 3d modeling, slowly but surely getting it...), and my current model is based on the Mk3A2 Offensive Grenade (google it if you need to see it), which has a small indented ring in the center. So I've tried using a nor map (which is, to all documentation I've seen, the Blender equivalent of a bump map) of a straight black horizontal line with fuzzy edges on white background (as well as a 75% grey line on 50% grey bkgd), mapped cylindrically (like my main texture, which I actually made for a M67 frag grenade model, but it kind of sort of works).

However, I can't get it to use the nor map to draw the indentation when I render (I've tried Blender internal and Yafray).

Am I doing this wrong? Should I just complicate the model and add the indentation to the model itself?

Also, a Yafray question: when I tried rendering in Yafray, it would render my floor-plane texture fine (an image texture in the same directory as my grenade-model textures), but the grenade would end up losing the texture and even the specularity adjustments I made.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody here knows Blender?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick with a real suite, like Maya, 3D Studio Max, or Lightwave...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Stick with a real suite, like Maya, 3D Studio Max, or Lightwave...

Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll go right out and do that.

Oh. Wait.

That's right.

I don't have a few thousand dollars to spare! Silly me!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Did it, at any time, occur to you to maybe post this over on the Blender forums ???  They do have a pretty big community for the program.

I'm thinking you might have a better chance at getting an answer there, you know ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top