Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2006 1:23:52 PM EDT
I'm planning a trip out West later to this year.  I'm going to spend most of my time in Wyoming, so I would appreciate any advice on fun things to do and places to see.  I want to do some hiking and stargazing, as well as just driving around awhile.  

Also, I may go into Montana, Idaho, and South Dakota; so any good suggestions for those places would be welcome as well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just enjoy what is arguably the most free state in the Union. I miss living there, sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm heading for that neck of the woods myself come June---going to Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You're going to my future home!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
East or west? East you have Devils Tower and the Black Hills of S Dakota. I just took the family there this past summer, had a great time. Unfortunatly we had to cut the trip short due to illness, so we didn't make it to the Badlands or Devils Tower.

West, of course Yellowstone. Go early or late in the season so it will be less crowded, awesome sights.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on devils tower, its really cool. Be advised, possible very high winds in the state, all the time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
East or west? East you have Devils Tower and the Black Hills of S Dakota. I just took the family there this past summer, had a great time. Unfortunatly we had to cut the trip short due to illness, so we didn't make it to the Badlands or Devils Tower.

West, of course Yellowstone. Go early or late in the season so it will be less crowded, awesome sights.

Probably both east and west.  What do you think of Grand Teton Park?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
shoot prairies dogs and relax watching your cell phone not have and service.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody
Mountain Man museum in Pinedale
Cooke City montana
Beartooth Pass
Chief Joseph Hwy (near Cody)
Freedom Arms in Freedom WY (near Afton)
Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in Jackson
Bar J Chuckwagon (dinner and show) in Jackson

There are also lots of great events at various times that are worthwhile.

I like the western part of the state the best. With Cody and Jackson being my favorite towns.

Can you tell I miss it???  <G>
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to see the most spectacular scenery in the USA, take a drive up to Glacier NP in Montana and drive the Going to the Sun Road.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Yellowstone, then up into Montana.

We took 2 trips once when I was 12 and again when I was 13. My dad thought I needed to see the rest of hte US, he was right.

We drove around and hit every state west of the Mississippi, most beautiful country in the world.

May I suggest going up through South and North Dakota, over to MT and then down into Yellowstone. You will hit a small town called Cook City, there is a resturaunt with awesome french toast.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you want to see the most spectacular scenery in the USA, take a drive up to Glacier NP in Montana and drive the Going to the Sun Road.

A big +1 hit the Beartooth Mountains while your at it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Just don't fall in love with a rugged sheep herder. He just can't quit you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
shoot stuff.
I love that state though really neat country and it is not all fucked up and over ran even the Laramie where I spent most of my time is pretty decent  even with the university there
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#14]
How about Idaho?  Any neat places to go over there, since I'll be close?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want to hike make sure you get to the Teton mountains.  Yellowstone is ok, I thought it looked and definately smells better in pictures.  The smell of rotten eggs all day made me sick.  There is something called The Sinks where this river goes straight into a mountain and disappears.  Also some good hiking trails that will lead to a waterfall people jump off of.  Another place is Thermopolis.  It's a water park that uses water from a natural hot spring.  Not that impressive of a water park but still intersting to see.  I have a relative that lives up there.  He goes on week long camping trips where it takes 2 days to pack and and 2 days to get back out.  When you go that deep into the wilderness there are lakes where you can catch more fish than you could ever eat.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:46:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We took 2 trips once when I was 12 and again when I was 13. My dad thought I needed to see the rest of hte US, he was right.

We drove around and hit every state west of the Mississippi, most beautiful country in the world.

May I suggest going up through South and North Dakota, over to MT and then down into Yellowstone. You will hit a small town called Cook City, there is a resturaunt with awesome french toast.

+1

Cook City was awesome.  Little town squished into the mountains.  My family could have left me there and I would have still been sitting on a porch not wanting to leave today.  I heard from the gas station owner that hardly anyone stays there for the winter though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:11:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Look out for Brokebutt Cowboys

I can't think of a more un-gay place in the US, but then Holywood always has it finger on the pulse of the real America.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Years ago, I went to Yellowstone, I floated down the Black River in a raft provided by a rafting company.  Very peaceful.

Do you fish?  There is Yellowstone Cutthroat trout, at the time I was there, all of the fish occurs naturally in the stream.  Most people only do a "catch and release."
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Sheep.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are in Idaho check out "Craters of the Moon" park.  It is a cool way to spend a half day or so.  Just be careful cause even in the summer there is ice in the lava caves.  I found out the hard way.  Lava really is abrasive to the palms of your hands. The park is in the mid-southern portion of the state.  There is more beautiful country on to the west in the Sawtooth mountains.  If you go farther North Salmon area is beautiful and has some great snow machine trails when the white stuff is on the ground.  I lived in Idaho for 2 years after I got out of school.  I want to go back in the next couple of years.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Cook City was awesome.  Little town squished into the mountains.  My family could have left me there and I would have still been sitting on a porch not wanting to leave today.  I heard from the gas station owner that hardly anyone stays there for the winter though.

My friend owns the exxon up there, The place is total choas there in the winter lots of snowmobiles there. I sled there alot myself and it has gotten so much more busy in the winter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#23]
There's Worland where Smokey Bear sometimes hangs out.

Over to the west is Lander. It was named after the tough, but fair
Miss Lander(s) in the "Leave It To Beaver" television series.

Lots to do in Lander. You can get your buns toasted at Wildflour Bakery
and Expresso. Lots of fine dining, too. the Cowfish Cafe, Big Noi family restaurant.
and Mom's Malt Shop and Diner.

Nearly next door is Riverton, Wyoming where "friendly" is a way of life. Great place to visit.
It's world headquarters for High Mountain Seasonings for that big jerked taste.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Also, I may go into Montana

Glacier National Park!!!

If you are the outdoorsy type, GNP is a GREAT hike.  There's a reason why Montana is called Big Sky Country -- great views.  

That said, the most beautiful views are seen in the backcountry -- meaning you need to go in off the beaten path, most often for a multi-day trip.  We were in-country for 10 days total, going 5 days in and 5 days back.  There's no easy way to do it, except on foot (or if you have $$$, horseback).

Keep in mind that in the upper elevations, you will still have (and get) snow late into the summer.  When I went to GNP in 1999, we got snow in June/July!

Mokawanis Lake

View into Mokawanis Lake Valley

Cosley Lake Trail

and by the way, there are tons of BEARS in GNP!  We saw five in the first day!

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That had to be filmed in CANADA. Anyway, they were sheepherders. Not cowboys.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Do a web search for Matthew Shepard
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, I may go into Montana

Glacier National Park!!!

If you are the outdoorsy type, GNP is a GREAT hike.  There's a reason why Montana is called Big Sky Country -- great views.  

That said, the most beautiful views are seen in the backcountry -- meaning you need to go in off the beaten path, most often for a multi-day trip.  We were in-country for 10 days total, going 5 days in and 5 days back.  There's no easy way to do it, except on foot (or if you have $$$, horseback).

Keep in mind that in the upper elevations, you will still have (and get) snow late into the summer.  When I went to GNP in 1999, we got snow in June/July!

Mokawanis Lake

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/huangover/1999%20Glacier%20National%20Park/ChrisonsnowfieldonMokawanisLaketrai.jpg

View into Mokawanis Lake Valley

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/huangover/1999%20Glacier%20National%20Park/MokawanisLakevalley2.jpg

Cosley Lake Trail

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/huangover/1999%20Glacier%20National%20Park/CosleyLakeTrail6.jpg

and by the way, there are tons of BEARS in GNP!  We saw five in the first day!

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/huangover/1999%20Glacier%20National%20Park/Bearontheroad.jpg

The scenery looks magnificent.  But dude, you need a new camera...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The scenery looks magnificent.  But dude, you need a new camera...

Yeah no kidding.  Those shots were taken with a $30 Vivitar 35mm film camera (no zoom) and then scanned on a Canon scanner.  I was just out of school that year (1999) and didn't have a ton of cash.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Talk to Ray Dennis at Sweetwater Outfitters. He will find lots of things to entertain you.

http://sweethunt.com/

The guy on page #3 holding the big ass coyote is me!

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Must see Cody, plan on 2-3 days. You can easiely spend 1 day in the Buffalo Bill museum and still go back the 2nd day for more The Irma (in Cody) had a all you could eat Prime Rib buffet last few times we were up there & ya could cut the Prime Rib with a fork & the home made mashed taters were superb Drive from Cody over the BEartooth Pass to Red Lodge & then take the Chief Joseph highway. You will never drive over a more senic MT pass than Beartooth. It get's cold in Cody even in mid Summer once the sun goes down, take coats, hats, gloves and such. If you go to the outdoor rodeo take a couple blankets as well, or you will freeze.

You must make a 2-3 day side trip to Virginia City, Montana and just a couple miles down the road check out Nevada City Montana. These 2 towns are IMHO better than Yellowstone in that they are full of old west history and just ooze the old west feeling. I was CCW a 1911 there & had to take off my jacket & expose the pistol, nobody even blinked a eye.

Devils Tower is so, so. If you are not going to be in the North/East end of the state don't make a special trip to see it. Nothing around for miles & then ya have a couple 3 tourist traps & can't even get close to it.

Wind, what's wind Sometimes we have 60+ MPH winds, so yep if you are camping prepare to get blown around. However, the wind does not always blow & it can be rather calm depending on where you are.

Yellowstone is well worth the visit, plan for 2-3 days as it's a madhouse there in the summer.

Jackson Hole is super expensive, if you go there expect a yuppie hell, it's almost as bad as some places in Kalif However, the Tetons are there & it's a excellent stay for one day if that!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Big state. Depends on what part you're planning on visiting. But, my advice, definitely see the Tetons. While you're there you might as well drive up into Yellowstone. Plan a couple of days there. Also Devil's Tower is a must. Don't just walk up to it. Walk all the way around it. While you're in the Devil's Tower neighborhood you should hop over to South Dakota and check out the Badlands. One  thing we did that was cool was digging for fossils around Kemmering (not sure that's the right spelling), We found a place that charged you but they had a rich area. The Green River (if I've got that right) area is known for its fish fossils.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 on the Tetons...

My grandmother has a house where you can see the Tetons in the distance out the living room window
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Idaho ... Good place for Utards to buy lottery tickets <G>. It's got some beautiful places, but nothing that you won't see in Wyoming or Montana. Teton Pass from Jackson WY to Victor ID is a nice ride, and there is a great restaurant on the east side of the road in Victor (private club but I forget the name).

The best time to go to Yellowstone IMHO is late September. The crowds are mostly gone, the elk are in rut (bugling, fighting, and gathering their harem), and the roads are still open (they start closing roads Oct 1st). I'd just as soon take a beating as go to Yellowstone in the summer and fight the tourists.

Jackson does have it's yuppie aspect, friggin Kalifornians have invaded another western town. But it's still a cool place to visit, BUT ... Jackson is a long ways from Yellowstone park. Keep that in mind if you're in the park and heading for Jackson to get a room. I think West Yellowstone is the best place to stay to see Jellystone.

I ride a Harley and enjoy the hell out of just riding in the mountains. Let me know if you need any route suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife and I were in Bozeman, Montana a year ago and we really loved it. Make sure you you get to Yellowstone. It take a good 2 or 3 days to drive through it all. Also, even though it is in eastern Montana, take a day trip and go to the Custer Battlefield. Its near Billings and is about 4 hours from Bozeman. It is truly a sobering experience.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends on how much time you have for your vacation. If you start in the Black Hills, see Mt. Rushmore. Then try Devils Tower. Mosey on over to the Custer Battlefield, swing up to Wisdom MT and fish the Big Hole river for brown trout as big as your leg.

Make the loop on down to Yellowstone and on down to Boulder WY. Stop in the Boulder Lake Lodge and see me for a few days. We'll go shootin!

Link

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm heading for that neck of the woods myself come June---going to Yellowstone.

Strongly considering that myself.  Just remember you have to disassemble your weapons and lock them before driving through a NP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#37]
The only thing Wyoming is good for is snowmobiling in the Big Horns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Tetons, Wind River Mountains, The Gros Ventre Range, Slide Lake, Hoback Canyon, Brooks Lake, Bailey Lake, the Breccia Cliffs, Togwotee Pass, The Absoraka Range, Washakie, Dubois, Lander, Pinedale and Bondurant (My Favorites), Yellowstone of course (need at least three days there), Star Valley and Freedom (My wife's grandfather is a native of Freedom and his property borders the Freedom Arms facility), South Pass and Atlantic City, Green River, Cody (need at least two days there to go through the Winchester Firearms and Buffalo Bill Museums), Meteetsee and Thermopolis, Shell, Grey Bull, Medicine Wheel, Red Desert, Hole-in-the Wall, West Yellowstone, Red Lodge MT. Bozeman MT, the Galatin Valley, Ennis MT, the list goes on and on.

If you are a fly fisherman you have Pacific Creek, Flat Creek, Little Grey's. Salt River, Clark's Fork, Yellowstone River, Snake River, Hoback River, Big Horn River, South Fork of the Snake, the Henry's Fork, the Gallatin, the Madison, Ruby River, the Firehole, the Beaver head, Blackfoot, etc. etc.

God I love that area.  I will be there for at least 2-3 weeks this summer.

Enjoy

SM
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
In Jackson Hole there is a pretty good micro brew.  There's the Mangy Moose at the ski lodge and there's the micro brew on the highway to the ski area.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The only thing Wyoming is good for is snowmobiling in the Big Horns.

this coming from someone from South Dakota?

He is right; the Big Horns are great, but more than just snowmobiling.

No one has said it yet, but if you come to WY, you have to go see the Firearms museum in the Buffalo Bill Historical Center.   I believe it is one of the largest collections of firearms in the world.  You will be in heaven.

Eat at the Proud Cut Saloon in Cody......"Kickass Cowboy Cuisine"  You won't go broke, but damn is the food good.

Stop by and say hello to a fellow Arfcomer!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I drove through Grand Teton and I am in Jackson Hole Wyoming today.  Seems to be some good skiing and snowmobileing around thes parts. There are some incredible sites to witness.

I will post a pic if I can get this snow bunny off my shirttail..........
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#42]
One of my goals in life is to hunt/kill a trophy elk in Wyoming.

I don't see it happening, but that's my suggestion for what to do there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#43]
The Big Horn Mountains... a very special place.  The fewer people the better.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The Big Horn Mountains... a very special place.  The fewer people the better.

Hey!  Dude!  KNOCK off the pictures; you are giving away top secret information.   I don't want every body and their brother playing in my backyard!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Hey!  Dude!  KNOCK off the pictures; you are giving away top secret information.   I don't want every body and their brother playing in my backyard!

Ha!HA!     What county are you in?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ha!HA!     What county are you in?

Park, specifically, Powell.    My parents and in-laws live in Worland, and we have a cabin in the southern Big Horns.  We spend most of our summer there.  It is a 2.5hr drive to our cabin door from our house in Powell.  

I only live an 1hr away from your sixth picture.  I believe that is USHWY 14A?  correct?   That or it is coming out of Shell(Hwy 14), which is only another 30min further.
Edited to add: duhh, I didn't see the sign.....hwy14.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Nice... In the summers I work on the foothills of the eastern slope just west of Buffalo.  I've climbed Cloud Peak and Bomber a few times.  The Cloud Peak Wilderness area is one the most beautiful untapped places in this world. Is your cabin off of 16?   And yeah... that picture is 14, some of the best fishing in the Big Horns is up there on the Tounge.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Speaking of Buffalo, the Jim Gatchell Museum in Buffalo, Wyoming is a excellent museum
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Nice... In the summers I work on the foothills of the eastern slope just west of Buffalo.  I've climbed Cloud Peak and Bomber a few times.  The Cloud Peak Wilderness area is one the most beautiful untapped places in this world. Is your cabin off of 16?   And yeah... that picture is 14, some of the best fishing in the Big Horns is up there on the Tounge.

Yup, 9miles off of 16 at the Johnson county line.  It is in Canyon Creek Country.  It is the best fishing of any creek in the Bighorns.   We ride 4 wheelers all over that country all summer.  Sheep mountain look out is one of our favorite destinations.   We go down to Buffalo for food supplies, when we spend extended time up there.    I love Buffalo; great town, great sporting goods store....Sports Lure?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Sports Lure?

Yup... Dave Todd is the owner and just about the entire family works there and runs it.  I think it's the best and most knowlegable sporting goods store in the country.  If one of the Todds can't answer your question another one will be able to.  They know just about every spot in that entire mountain range and have no trouble telling you how to get there and what to expect.  My check pretty much gets split between three places in town... The Sports Lure, City Liquor and the Dash Inn.  Gear, booze and food... what else does a guy need?

Haha... I fish that place all the time.  We will have to stay in touch and do some fishing this summer.  If you like to shoot sporting clays you will have to come visit me at the ranch, we have the best clays course in the state, hands down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top