Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 7:00:43 AM EDT
Hi folks,

Do in-state firearm transfers between individuals have to be done face-to-face, or is shipping allowed between individuals with a verified copy of a Driver's License or CHL ?

I was under the impression that transfers had to be made face-to-face, but was told they could be done via shipping in Texas with a copy of someone's state Driver's License or CHL.

Can someone point me to a source for accurate information online ?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
From the ATF:

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

AND

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Interstate = FFL needed on receiving end

Intrastate – No FFL needed, same as a FTF transfer, unless your state requires something different (I live in FL).

Here are the basic guidelines I use when I have sold firearms this way: I request a signed statement that the buyer is over 18 and is legally able to purchase and posses a firearm and that they cannot hold me responsible for how it is used, etc. I do not ask for a copy of an ID since I do not have a face to put it to (make sure it is theirs) – I my opinion it is meaningless. I also only take USPS money order for payment and ship UPS adult signature. I think that if your state allows it and you follow guidelines similar to those above you will be ok.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

The way I am reading that, a gentleman who sold me a rifle within my state (but several hours drive-time away), could legally ship the rifle directly to me so long as I am not prohibited by law from receiving or posessing a firearm (i.e. - If I sent him my driver's license and a statement verifying that I am not prohibited).

Where would I find out if there were any specifics applicable to Texas that would prevent this ?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If Texas allows FTF transfers it should be legal, I believe that they do however I am not a resident of Texas so please make sure. Packing.org might give you a specific statute to qoute.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again for the info. I looked through the stuff on 'packing', but didn't find what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
it is likely legal, but I wouldn't want someone to have a photocopy of my ID
I'd rather drive across the state
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not too worried about my license info, I just don't want to break any BATF laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top