Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 6:27:34 AM EDT
The infamous tin foil hat is definately part of our culture.  How did this happen?  Is there a book, an article, a picture, a joke, a movie or a ?? that was the genesis of this?

Does this date back to the cheesy Sci Fi movies of the 1950s?

Thanks.

Disclosure: Just curious.  Not part of the global conspiracy.  At least I don't think I am.  Tin foil makes my scalp itch something fierce.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for the smartasses to come out of the woodwork.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Signs
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Signs

The phrase was around long before that awful movie.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
tag.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Signs

The phrase was around long before that awful movie.

I know, just giving him something relatively new that he can go look at.

Scary Movie 3 was a much better version of signs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Bart Simpson did it to stop Major Legue Baseball from spying on him.
Was done in Signs as mentioned.

Both were copies of somthing else I am sure.

Tag for answers.  Real and smartass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#7]
TinFoil Hat Wikipedia

I don't know but I thought the scene in Conspiracy Theory (with Mel Gibson) where thy show his house was pretty derned funny. Just about everything was covered in foil IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
More likely from the time of "Remember the Maine" which was one of the original LIES foisted on the American populace by William Randolph Hearst's publishing empire at our governments behest.

As "tin-foil hatters" are generally equated with conspiracy theories and ufo believers, it could be said this was one of the first.

The false claiming of the USS Maine being torpedoed by the Spanish, drug the US into the Spanish-American War, which like all wars, even the one we're fighting today was fought for the GREED of those running our country.

(Note: the investigation done under the supervision of Admiral Rickkenbacher Rickover (corrected), father of our modern nuclear navy subs, clearly determined the USS Maine was sunk, NOT BY TORPEDO, but but an internal boiler explosion of undetermined cause.)

When one looks closely at "Pearl Harbor", the Gulf of Tonkin incident and even 9/11, one will find the same pattern of deceit, false flag operations made famous by the Israelis and the same greedy bastards reaping the rewards of war, at the expense of the common folk, so don't be too hard on those tin-foil folks, as most of them have more facts to back-up their stances than those casting aspersions their way........., as they have history to back them up.

Mike  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The false claiming of the USS Maine being torpedoed by the Spanish, drug the US into the Spanish-American War, which like all wars, even the one we're fighting today was fought for the GREED of those running our country.

(Note: the investigation done under the supervision of Admiral Rickkenbacher, father of our modern nuclear navy subs, clearly determined the USS Maine was sunk, NOT BY TORPEDO, but but an internal boiler explosion of undetermined cause.)

When one looks closely at "Pearl Harbor", the Gulf of Tonkin incident and even 9/11, one will find the same pattern of deceit, false flag operations made famous by the Israelis and the same greedy bastards reaping the rewards of war, at the expense of the common folk, so don't be too hard on those tin-foil folks, as most of them have more facts to back-up their stances than those casting aspersions their way........., as they have history to back them up.

Mike  

Are you saying the ships sunk and damaged at Pearl Harbor weren't really attacked by the Japanese?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The infamous tin foil hat is definately part of our culture.  How did this happen?  Is there a book, an article, a picture, a joke, a movie or a ?? that was the genesis of this?

I believe the genesis of it is based on schizophrenics - one of the more severe mental disorders, which involve a disconnect from reality.  When you talk about really "insane" people, it is often schizophrenics that you are talking about - people who hear voices, have delusions, think they are Napoleon, etc.

A very common form of shizophrenia is the paranoid variety, which can take many different forms, but one version of it is a belief that the patient is being "remote controlled" by others.  I am sure in the middle ages, shizophrenics believed that demons or angels were controlling their behavior.  By the 50's however, technology and popular culture led some shizophrenics to believe that the "govenment" was controlling them with invisible rays.

Thus, I imagine the first person to actually make a tinfoil hat was probably a paranoid schizophenic, who was trying to "keep out" the imagined government mind control rays.

I will never forget some of my abnormal psych classes from when I was an undergrad - watching videotaped interviews with actual shizophrenics was really disturbing.  Those poor people are thuroughly fucked up!  

On a related note, during my teaching in the fall I had a student that appeared to go insane during the semester.  A shizoid break often occurs in the early 20s, and I think that's what happend to this poor kid.  He clearly started getting paranoid, and had outbursts in class that were delusional.    No tinfoil hat, though.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
TinFoil Hat Wikipedia

I don't know but I thought the scene in Conspiracy Theory (with Mel Gibson) where thy show his house was pretty derned funny. Just about everything was covered in foil IIRC.

I don't think it was tinfoil - it was fire retardent/liner so he could torch his apt.

"This place was made to be an incinerator."
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
More likely from the time of "Remember the Maine" which was one of the original LIES foisted on the American populace by William Randolph Hearst's publishing empire at our governments behest.

As "tin-foil hatters" are generally equated with conspiracy theories and ufo believers, it could be said this was one of the first.

(Note: the investigation done under the supervision of Admiral Rickkenbacher, father of our modern nuclear navy subs, clearly determined the USS Maine was sunk, NOT BY TORPEDO, but but an internal boiler explosion of undetermined cause.)

Mike  

That was Admiral Rickover who was probably about ten years when the Maine was sunk...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I first saw it on The X Files back around 1993 or so.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't consider Schizophrenia.  I can see how "government mind control" would work into a schizophrenic's delusions quite well.  

This is an interesting "study" I found by following the Wikipedia link:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

One criticism I have of their study is they used Reynolds wrap.  Reynolds is an Alcoa aluminum product, and as such must be considered suspect.  They are, after all, an evil multinational corporation are are undoubtedly henchmen of the Triad.  As for crafting your beanie out of a 3M product, well, that should be obvious.  

I am catching the tin foil fever, I fear.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That was Admiral Rickover who was probably about ten years when the Maine was sunk...

Sorry, knew I screwed up the spelling, but didn't know it was that bad and that I butcherd his name completely.

Thanks for the correction, and BTW, the investigation occured under his supervision before his retirement decades after the Maine was sunk.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike  

Are you saying the ships sunk and damaged at Pearl Harbor weren't really attacked by the Japanese?  

Nope, just that FDR and other top military commanders knew they were comming.

Read "Day of Deceit", by R. Stinnet or "Pearl Harbor: Mother of all Conspiricies", for references to this fact.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a regular ballcap that is lined in tin foil that I wear regularly.

I don't know if it works or not, but one can never be too sure
(I don't know why I didn't just say "tag")
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I first saw it on The X Files back around 1993 or so.

Yeah, I think my first time to hear it was on the X-Files too.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Why is tinfoil made of aluminum?

Why was the tin-lizzie made of steel?

du trolls.....is this a vast right wing conspiracy?

Where are the left wing 'watchdog groups'?

Why does senator kennedy not call for an investigation?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't think it was tinfoil - it was fire retardent/liner so he could torch his apt.

"This place was made to be an incinerator."

Oh sure.. ruin it for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#21]
DK-Prof get's the brass ring.

The "tinfoil hat" has been around since the first schizophrenic discovered renyolds wrap.  

It became a term of denigration shortly after that.  

Some of the more delusional will wrap large portions of themselves in foil under their clothing - to "protect them from cosmic rays".   Others have lined entire apartments in the stuff.   Ask anybody in an ER what thay have seen wrapped in foil....  LMAO

Lem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top