Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2001 12:51:58 PM EDT
I was about to buy one of those Century Arms Garands for a buddy of mine whose getting married (bachelors party gift) when I thought I'd better consult the gun guru's first. Do these guns suck or are they decent?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The general consensus of the gun guys on the rec.guns newsgroup is [b][i]STAY AWAY[/B][/I].   These guns are poor to the point of possibly being unsafe.  They will most probably be unreliable at best.  The receivers are not to spec.  You want to risk your friend's face?

If you want to get a Garand, the DCM is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BTW, buying a firearm for the purpose of transferring it to another individual is illegal.  Now, if you buy it and someday in the far future decide to give it to him/her, that's another story.  Perhaps you might want to edit your post
View Quote
One man's gift is another man's "Strawman Purchase." How's that for lame laws.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
CAI guns are a "pipe bomb" on a stock.

Fulton Armory are nice but expensive and have many non USGI parts.

CMP is the only way to go. Good price and genuine Garand.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought one last year; took it out for the first time and fired three shots. Fourth shot, bolt and operating rod separated. Reassembled and the same thing happened. Sent it back to the factory and got it back seven weeks later.
Took it out last weekend for the first time since breakage; it fires but jams frequently and does not eject the clip all the way.
It's a certified piece of crap. Don't buy one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BTW, buying a firearm for the purpose of transferring it to another individual is illegal.  Now, if you buy it and someday in the far future decide to give it to him/her, that's another story.  Perhaps you might want to edit your post
View Quote

Since when?  You can buy a gift; you cannot buy a gun for someone who is not legally entitled.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a load of crap,  you cant buy a gun as a gift?  Well then some of us must give back our Christmas gifts.
That is a load of crap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
SaltCreek,

All is not lost.  The CMP is selling stripped or barreled receivers.  Just swap out the out of tolerance parts and you should have a shooter again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
raf - I am sure it is indeed the law.  I am also sure that it is still a pile of crap!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I love this site!  I was beginning to wonder if my wife (a non-citizen permanent resident) had violated Federal law when she bought me a 10-22 for Father's day!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
If CMP Garands don't suit your taste for some reason, try Tony at Orion 7. He puts together best of breed Garands at fair prices and usually has several in stock.  Fulton is good too but the wait there can be long. Especially for rebuilds, service etc.  

Orion gets it done most ricki tic
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
About 4 years ago I sent for a CMP service grade, when they were still $400. I got a 1953 IHC, which as far as I could tell was brand new. It had a few dings on the stock, but the metal parts showed no wear. A friend told me it was worth $1000 easy. It shoots great and I love it. All the parts were correct including the stock. Buy one. John
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Century Arms Garand = JUNK
Get a CMP M1
[url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm[/url]
My CMP M1 is the best money I've ever spent ! That's grease, not rust on the receiver...
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/wg/kE/wK/YS20043.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I checked their web site and noticed a number of different grades. Any suggestion on which grade of rifle to go with?

SERVICE GRADE
DANISH ISSUE" SERVICE GRADE
SELECT GRADE
COLLECTOR GRADE

Hey Derek45, which grade would yours fall under???
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I checked their web site and noticed a number of different grades. Any suggestion on which grade of rifle to go with?

SERVICE GRADE
DANISH ISSUE" SERVICE GRADE
SELECT GRADE
COLLECTOR GRADE

Hey Derek45, which grade would yours fall under???

Get the service or Danish service grade.  I don't believe the CMP is taking orders for the other two.  The danish ones are ones the US sent over to Denmark.  They used them for years and sent them back.  Occasionally the Danish ones will be rebuilt with Beretta parts.

Best money you can spend.

SRM
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Derek45,

That stock looks fantastic. Where did you get it? I assume it's not the original wood. I have 3 CMP Garands and I have never seen one that didn't at least have a few gouges from the sight knobs. Apparently, when the guns are surplused they are put into big boxes, one right on top of the other.

The cool thing about ordering from the CMP is you really never know what you're going to get. It becomes addictive as hell! All are good shooters though and have a story to tell. The guys at CMP know M1s like the back of their hand so you can be sure you won't get junk. Hmmm....maybe I should order another.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Boyds [url]www.boydboys.com[/url] makes a great line of aftermarket stocks for military weapons like the Garand.  I've used a couple of them on my CMP Garands.  My Boyds stocks were early ones and needed just a touch here and there with a dremal tool but otherwise they are drop in.  

They come lightly stained so you must apply an oil finish (I use boiled linseed oil) Or you can use any one of several finishing methods found on the Culver Sooting Page [url]www.jouster.com[/url]

Most of my Garands soldier on with the issued stocks but there is something magical about a WWII Garand prettied up with a hand rubbed stock.

CMP Garands are a sickness just like AR-itus but cheaper!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like Boyds now only sells Garand stocks thru the usual gun parts distributors.....still have M1A and Carbine stocks listed for sale direct from them though, plus a whole line of stocks for commercial weapons.

Ask at [url]www.jouster.com[/url] on the Garand and M1A board for Boyds Garand stock sources.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top