Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2006 4:12:59 AM EDT
From the Seattle Seahawks! Lost a touchdown on a cheezy call and had one given to the Stealers on a terrible call.

17-14 Seahawks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#1]
+1, or maybe I'm just sore cause the Colt's weren't allowed to steal the AFC Championship from the Steelers!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I am by no way a football fan.

But I must say this. I did actually watch the whole game last night with my family. The Seahawks had the game stolen from them from the officals on two terrible calls.

The steelers, though declared the winners, should feel no honor by winning that game. That ball NEVER made it to the goal line.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Honor or not, the Steelers are wearing the rings today.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree. I could care less about those two teams, so as an unbiased 3rd party I have to say that the officials gave the game to the Steelers. Two terrible calls that most likely would have had a very different outcome on the game.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I watched almost all of the game, but I don't recall any bad calls.  Of course, I wasn't really paying that much attention, and I was only watching for the commercials.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]
It was a TD, get over it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Well they are the Stealers.z
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Good game, imho. No showboating, no superstars, just some very good complete teams. The National Anthem was fine, nothing can be worse than Roseanne singing the National Anthem & grabbing her crotch, NOTHING.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

But I must say this. I did actually watch the whole game last night with my family. The Seahawks had the game stolen from them from the officals on two terrible calls.

The steelers, though declared the winners, should feel no honor by winning that game. That ball NEVER made it to the goal line.

The ball doesn't have to reach the goal line, the player must merely cross it at some point.  The QB did it without a doubt, it was very visible on all of the replays.  I would agree that the call on the Seahawks QB for low tackle was bad though.

The score was such that the game wouldn't have been changed regardless of the calls, so just get over it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]

I really could have cared less on who won. Like I said, I am not a football fan. I would think that if the players are supposed to be on their best game that the officiating would be as well.

I love the "JUST GET OVER IT" crowd.

Like I lost sleep over a game where the players play a game only once a week and the rest of the world picks the games apart for the next 6 days.

Fun.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]

I know why the referee's wear stripes now. They are criminals!

I was for the Steelers by the way. If you couldn't tell the referee's were giving the game to Pitt, then you don't know football very well.

It was a good game tainted by the officials.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ball doesn't have to reach the goal line, the player must merely cross it at some point.  The QB did it without a doubt, it was very visible on all of the replays.  I would agree that the call on the Seahawks QB for low tackle was bad though.

The score was such that the game wouldn't have been changed regardless of the calls, so just get over it.

Not true, the BALL has to at least cross the plane of the goal line.  The QB's whole body except for his hands holding the ball could be in the end zone, and if the ball never broke that plane, no touchdown.

The refs won the game for the stealers.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought he initially was called for a "low block"..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not correct. The ball must break the goal line in some way. However, I belive Captainpooby was referring to the holding call which would have put the Seahawks at the 1 yard line, first and goal, when the score was 14-10. I have to agree with him.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummm, no, the ball must breach the line to the endzone.  In football it is the location of the ball, not the player that counts.  That is you why you always see them stretch out the hand with the ball as they are being tackled to try to get that extra distance.  When a player is ruled down by contact, wherever the ball is located when that elbow or knee touches the ground is the spot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not correct. The ball must break the goal line in some way. However, I belive Captainpooby was referring to the holding call which would have put the Seahawks at the 1 yard line, first and goal, when the score was 14-10. I have to agree with him.

Or how about that "push off" causing a Seattle touchdown to be overturned.  That was BS.

I have to admit the Seahawk's clock management skills at the end of the game absolutely sucked.  And that was the coaches fault, but there were multiple bad calls that seemed to be made against the Seahawks, and none against the Steelers.  Usually the refs try to balance it out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I was referring to the offensive pass interference call on the Seahawks first TD.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
The ball should have never been to the one inch line. It was close enough to call it in, it was in, fine. Looked good on the field, no "irrefutable evidence" on further review, "the call on the field stands".

Steelers win.

I wont disagree the zebras were biased, I was ont he phone when they initially called the QB "fumble".

Everyone knows the ground cant cause a fumble.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Everyone knows the ground cant cause a fumble.

The ground can most certainly cause a fumble.  If a player isn't touched and goes down and fumbles the ball it is a fumble.  The refs didn't see Larry Foote get his hand on Hasselbeck as he was going down.  That is why it was overuled.  The ground only can't cause a fumble when a player is being tackeled.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Officiating faults

1) The ball never touched or crossed the plane for the 1st, Pitt TD.   -Challeneged/Denied

2) TD taken away from Seattle receiver for pushing off??? That wasn't pushing off, that was pitter patter.... Let'em play..its the Super  Bowl for Christ's Sake!!!

3) 15 yard Penalty on Hasselbeck for tackling the ball carrier???  Even after the call being challenged the officials refused to listen to argument.   You tack on a 15 yard penalty if you cut the legs under a blocker, but not the ball carrier.   SHEEESH!!!!

4) Hasselbeck throws a bullet downfield to receiver who catches it on the 3 yard line....play is called back for Holding + 10 yard penalty!!!  Wasn't enough time to hold.

Seattle faults:

1) Poor clock management before the 1/2.

2) What happened to the running game and the short passes?  It was working great until Hasselbeck started lauching missiles.

3) You know Pittsburgh has a trick reverse play, and Seattle wasn't even prepared for it!

4) Missed indoor field goals.

Pittsburgh:

1)    1st 1/2 Pittsburgh's defensive lines were getting runned on.

2)   Officials helped them with bad calls.

Bottom line....Seattle had the opportunities....but couldn't capitalize.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Learn the game before you criticize it. Seahawks had plenty of opportunities and so did the Stealers. Ended up with which ever team was able to make more plays(Which the Steelers did with their signature trick plays). And that was a pushoff,  look it up in the rule books.

This is by far not a badly officiated game, especialy right after the Colts Steelers fiesco.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Officiating faults

1) The ball never touched or crossed the plane for the 1st, Pitt TD.   -Challeneged/Denied

2) TD taken away from Seattle receiver for pushing off??? That wasn't pushing off, that was pitter patter.... Let'em play..its the Super  Bowl for Christ's Sake!!!

3) 15 yard Penalty on Hasselbeck for tackling the ball carrier???  Even after the call being challenged the officials refused to listen to argument.   You tack on a 15 yard penalty if you cut the legs under a blocker, but not the ball carrier.   SHEEESH!!!!

4) Hasselbeck throws a bullet downfield to receiver who catches it on the 3 yard line....play is called back for Holding + 10 yard penalty!!!  Wasn't enough time to hold.

Seattle faults:

2) What happened to the running game and the short passes?  It was working great until Hasselbeck started lauching missiles.

3) You know Pittsburgh has a trick reverse play, and Seattle wasn't even prepared for it!

Pittsburgh:

2)   Officials helped them win.  

I couldnt have said it better myself.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Learn the game before you criticize it. Seahawks had plenty of opportunities and so did the Stealers. Ended up with which ever team was able to make more plays(Which the Steelers did with their signature trick plays). And that was a pushoff,  look it up in the rule books.

This is by far not a badly officiated game, especialy right after the Colts Steelers fiesco.

Other than trying to insult and crap in a thread, what more do I need to learn about football? It was not a tochdown, the ref's blew that one. The low block was a tackle. I didn't even think about the touchdown that was refused because in a game where people tackle each other to end a play, the touchdown was refused because a player touched another player...THAT call was more of a basketball call then a football call.

It's ok, you Steeler fans have bragging rights for a year. Go do it. Me? I think my Lions will be good one day, not in my life time..but one day.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Steelers FTW.  Couldn't have turned out any better.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Actually there was a point in big bens flight that that ball did clearly cross a tiny part of that there goal line and thats all it has to do along with some protion of the players body, both things happened it was a touchdown. The only real bad call in that game was the low block call that negated the seatle touchdown. That I will say was a bad call.(I have no dog in this fight I wanted the colts to go for the AFC and anyone but the squaks from the NFC)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#26]
The Steelers were definately given the game.  The steelers' touchdown call wasn't even the worst one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I remember one play, Jurevicous caught the pass, and his defender pulled him down by the face mask right into the turf.....

-No call by the refs.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It was a TD, get over it.

+1
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Officials are part of the game (I also hate instant replay, 'cause I think the ref should be the last word on the field). The TD was a TD, because the ref said so. For one thing he was 5 feet away, and for another he's the Ref.
I've played some hockey games with absolutely awful officials. If you're good, you overcome all.  Not that I like them any (The ref went out to lunch! The ref went out to lunch! Eat me ref! Eat me ref! Munch Munch Munch!) but that's how the game is played.

The Seahawks could've won that game. They didn't. So it goes.

Also, WTH was up with the Seahawks at the end of the half?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

They learned clock management from the Eagles.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I am not a fan of either team.  I do follow the game however.  As a strictly unbiased observer, I believe that Seattle was cheated by poor officiating.  I suspect that in the near future, the NFL will admit to this after they review the tapes of the game.  This team of officials was not up to the usual high quality of the NFL.  

Because of the lousy calls, the game was in my eyes, inconsequential.  Winning is great...and I am very happy for the Steelers...but this victory is tainted.  Would the Seahawks have been able to win if the calls had not gone against them?  We'll never know...and THAT is the crux of this.

In a way, it's like tainted home run records.  What would the bashers' records be if they hadn't amped up with sterioids?  I KNOW...it isn't exactly the same...BUT the game score has been tainted by poor calls and that's bad for everyone.  

In the end...it means nothing.  The Steelers still wear the rings.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Bullshit.  

Both calls were correct.  

The push off was real.  Watch the defender--he takes a step BACK right after the push off.  It wasn't a real hard push, but that receiver woudn't have been able to turn back to his left that fast without it.  

The touchdown was genuine.  To overrule, the reply must be conclusive.  It appeared that the nose of the ball just barely broke the plane--but the nose is obscured by the QB's arm--so the replay wasn't really conclusive.  

Officiating doesn't take back that fact that Seattle played like crap after the first quarter.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Well as a Colts season ticket holder it was too painfull to watch. We went to see "Walk the Line" VERY GOOD MOVIE. Then for dinner but there were TVs on. I did see some BS call in the 3rd that cost Seattle a reception to the 2 yard line on some call.
Went home and the M in law called and told us the "Puppy Bowl" was on. It was cool, especially the water bowl cam.  I have never seen my dogs really watch TV untill that, they were watching and whining and barking. Funny.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Bullshit.  

Both calls were correct.  

The push off was real.  Watch the defender--he takes a step BACK right after the push off.  It wasn't a real hard push, but that receiver woudn't have been able to turn back to his left that fast without it.  

The touchdown was genuine.  To overrule, the reply must be conclusive.  It appeared that the nose of the ball just barely broke the plane--but the nose is obscured by the QB's arm--so the replay wasn't really conclusive.  

Officiating doesn't take back that fact that Seattle played like crap after the first quarter.  

+1.  The refs were very consistent in their calls, and were universally aggressive in calling penalties.  Pittsburg adjusted their play to this, and Seattle didn't.  That's part of the game.  Moreover, most of these close calls happened near the beginning of the game.  You can't say these "cost" the team the game because the entire complexion of the game changes with the score.  Pittsburg, like most teams, plays the clock in the second half once they have the lead.

At the end of the day, the vaunted Seahawks offense was TERRIBLE.  They dropped easy passes all night, and spent way too much time trying to throw down the field.  On top of that, their 2 minute offense was abysmal.  Think about it.  The Seahawks only offensive touchdown was after a long interception runback, a runback, I might add, that included a blatant block in the back on Rothlesburger that wasn't called.  When your basically an offensive team, you have to do better than that to win the superbowl.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bullshit.  

Both calls were correct.  

+1.  The refs were very consistent in their calls, and were universally aggressive in calling penalties.  Pittsburg adjusted their play to this, and Seattle didn't.  That's part of the game.  Moreover, most of these close calls happened near the beginning of the game.  You can't say these "cost" the team the game because the entire complexion of the game changes with the score.  Pittsburg, like most teams, plays the clock in the second half once they have the lead.

At the end of the day, the vaunted Seahawks offense was TERRIBLE.  They dropped easy passes all night, and spent way too much time trying to throw down the field.  On top of that, their 2 minute offense was abysmal.  Think about it.  The Seahawks only offensive touchdown was after a long interception runback, a runback, I might add, that included a blatant block in the back on Rothlesburger that wasn't called.  When your basically an offensive team, you have to do better than that to win the superbowl.  

I didn't watch too much of the game, but I did see the push-off play, and saw many replays of the touchdown.  The push-off was obvious to me even before it was called, and there was no doubt that it was a correct call.  Personally, I think the touchdown could have gone either way, and should either have been a touchdown, or on the 1-inch line.  Unless it was a fourth down, a quarteback sneak would almost certainly have gotten it into the endzone anyway, so I don't really see that as a big deal - but the call certainly wasn't an obvious as the push-off.  

ETA: and for what it's worth, I didn't care about either team - which is also why I only watched about 15 minutes of the game itself.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That's the key.  

There has to be evidence in the replay that would support overturning the call on the field.

It was hard to see in the replays on my 34" HDTV.  It appeared to me that part of the ball may have broken the plane before Ben got pushed back, but I was in suspense until the ruling came.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#37]
If you are going to argue the "push-off" of the Seattle receiver not being valid then you'll have to accept that Hasselback did fumble.  The contact in each was very minimal.  Roethlisberger may not have scored but the cameras did not have a good enough view of the ball to "over-rule" the call of touchdown by the refs on the field.  Even if you give Seattle the TD it's 21-17.  Facing an 11 point deficit (meaning a two point conversion to tie) is closer to having to score two TDs to tie, a tough proposition.

Most writers are trying to say that Seattle "lost" the game.  The teams were pretty even in the 1st half and may not have had more than a couple of first downs, none in the first quarter.

My call is that Seattle made too many mistakes (which included penalties of holding) to deserve the win.  Pittsburg meanwhile succeeded on the two trick plays they put in, one a game-breaker.  Winners do whatever's necessary to win.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ball must break the plane. Not the player. The ball did not break the pane. Why do people post shit that is totally wrong? Do y'all just make shit up as you go?

I have never seen such terrible officiating in a professional sporting event...let alone a national championship. I saw AT LEAST 4 bad calls. 3 of which directly affected the games outcome.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Of course, had the game gone the other way .... I'm sure all of you whiners would uphold you positions? That the officiating was bad?

Get over it! Seattle lost. Plain and simple. Lets go back to the days of no replays ....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Or how about that "push off" causing a Seattle touchdown to be overturned.  That was BS.

+1,000,000

I agree that some bad calls were made on the Seahawks.  But this is not unusual in any NFL game.  Even with refs making bad calls if the seahawks wanted it bed enough they could have managed to still come through.

Like getting tackled by the QB.  shiiiiiiiiiiiit.  That should have been ran back for the TD.

Edit to Add the PLAY I'm talking about:
3-6-SEA7 (7:52) B.Roethlisberger pass intended for C.Wilson INTERCEPTED by K.Herndon at SEA 4. K.Herndon to PIT 20 for 76 yards (A.Randle El). Longest interception return in Super Bowl history. Previous was Willie Brown of the Raiders in Super Bowl XI (75 yards).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Seems that Heath Miller TE for the Steelers had at least three passes that he was barely able to get his finger tips on because he already had a defender with his arms wrapped around him. Saved a few first downs being given up for Pit, but that was pass interference that wasn't called. The officiating went both ways.

Steve Young at the end of the game, who picked Seattle, was pissed off. He said that "the championship games were played in Indy and Denver. Pittsburgh came out here with an awkward performance and still won the game." (not an exact quote, but very close)

Which is true, Pit played a sub-standard game compared to the last 3, not nearly as aggressive. Seattle dropped a lot of good throws--that was a game sealer more than any officiating.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#42]
My take....

Seahawks were robbed of a TD.

Steelers TD was good..

Score

21- 17 Steelers still win.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#43]
The ball broke the plane. Not by a lot but once it does, the play's over and the score counts. Same on the pass interference call. It wasn't terribly flagrant but he pushed off just the same and got called for it.

So deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Officials are part of the game (I also hate instant replay, 'cause I think the ref should be the last word on the field). The TD was a TD, because the ref said so. For one thing he was 5 feet away, and for another he's the Ref.
I've played some hockey games with absolutely awful officials. If you're good, you overcome all.  Not that I like them any (The ref went out to lunch! The ref went out to lunch! Eat me ref! Eat me ref! Munch Munch Munch!) but that's how the game is played.

The Seahawks could've won that game. They didn't. So it goes.

Yeah, cant blame officials.  They are part of the game.  Besides, that was a touchdown.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#45]

They learned clock management from the Eagles.

Yeah, they run a 2 minute drill like that and then the fans bawl because they think the refs robbed them.

Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Officiating faults

1) The ball never touched or crossed the plane for the 1st, Pitt TD.

Yes it did.

Quoted:

It caused the defensive player to rock back on his heels making him unable to continue close coverage. Penalty.

Quoted:

Werd.

Quoted:

Missed that call. Was in the kitchen getting more pizza.

Quoted:
Seattle faults:

And at the end of the game.

Quoted:
Pittsburgh:

Who got the ring?

Quoted:

BAH-LONEY!

Quoted:

A city best known for half-caff-double-mocha-java-frappuccinos and booger-picking heroin-bands has no business getting anywhere NEAR a Lombardi Trophy.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Officiating faults

1) The ball never touched or crossed the plane for the 1st, Pitt TD.

Yes it did.

Quoted:

It caused the defensive player to rock back on his heels making him unable to continue close coverage. Penalty.

Quoted:

Werd.

Quoted:

Missed that call. Was in the kitchen getting more pizza.

Quoted:
Seattle faults:

And at the end of the game.

Quoted:
Pittsburgh:

Who got the ring?

Quoted:

BAH-LONEY!

Quoted:

A city best known for half-caff-double-mocha-java-frappuccinos and booger-picking heroin-bands has no business getting anywhere NEAR a Lombardi Trophy.

A city best known for half-caff-double-mocha-java-frappuccinos and booger-picking heroin-bands has no business getting anywhere NEAR a Lombardi Trophy

That's cold!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I guess we could call it the day that the Steelers saved civilization!  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#50]
If Seatle had played better, they would have won.   As a Ravens fan, I know a little something about poor officiating costing a team games.  It would appear that the same refs covered last night's game.  I don't think it affected the final outcome, but it may have affected the score.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top