Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 6:14:19 PM EDT
Remember the Cubans who got sent back a few weeks ago? Well, they reached an unused bridge down in the Keys.

A US court ruled they had not reached dry land in the US and must be sent back to Cuba because the section of bridge they landed on was no longer attached. Ergo, the section of bridge is no longer US territory.

Claim it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets go, Im game
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
So it's it'swithin territorial waters it's not claimed by the US?

Sweet

-DMPWI
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Can I be president?

I need to find a sexy intern who likes pizza and cigars.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So it's it'swithin territorial waters it's not claimed by the US?

Sweet

-DMPWI

A Federal court ruled it was not "dry land", the requirement for Cubans to stay in the US. It's in the Florida Keys, it's not much but it could be your own country.

If I was a US citizen, I would drive down and claim it tomorrow but I'm not so I cant. It would go to court and maybe lose and if I lost...I may have some problems with my green card or citizenship app.

As it sits right now, that piece of bridge is free land according to a US federal court.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
wonder if I can see it from google earth?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the National Firearms Act apply there?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]
nope, low resolution shots.

I wonder if this is part of the bridge that was blown up in 'true lies'.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If it isnt US property...no and a federal court said it wasnt. I t might be someones property, but the court said it wasnt United States or else they would have had to let the Cubans stay.

I believe the court was wrong in its initial decision but that is what they said.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The BATF does not have jurisdiction outside the United States.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]

MIAMI (AP) -- A federal judge suggested Thursday that the U.S. government acted illogically this week when it sent back 15 Cubans who had landed on an abandoned bridge in the Florida Keys.

U.S. District Judge Federico Moreno said he would not rule immediately on the emergency lawsuit filed on the Cubans' behalf by an advocacy group that is seeking to bring them back to this country, but he questioned the government's reasoning.

Under the government's long-standing "wet-foot, dry-foot" policy, Cubans who reach U.S. soil are generally allowed to stay, while those stopped at sea are returned to the communist island. In this case, the government said it sent the Cubans back to their homeland because the bridge no longer connects to land.

Moreno said even those who disagreed with giving Cubans special protections under U.S. immigration law would have a hard time seeing the logic of the government's decision.

"So the question is whether this bridge is U.S. territory," Moreno told Assistant U.S. Attorney Dexter Lee. "I'll follow the law, whatever it is. I guess the law is very technical, but the average person would say that's a ridiculous distinction" of whether the bridge was U.S. land.

Moreno called the abandoned bridge, built by railroad magnate Henry Flagler in 1912 and used until 1982, "as American as apple pie."

Lee said that the government would respond to the lawsuit by Jan. 26 and would ask the judge to dismiss the case. Even if it were ruled that the 15 Cubans could return, it is highly unlikely Cuba's Fidel Castro would permit it.

The attorneys representing the Cubans, as well as the Cuban advocacy group Democracy Movement, also urged the judge to clarify U.S. policy as to what constitutes U.S. territory under the wet-foot, dry-foot policy.

The Cubans set out from their homeland in a small boat and thought they were safe when they reached the bridge Jan. 4 after more than a day at sea. But the bridge, which runs side by side with a newer bridge, is missing several chunks, and the group had the misfortune of reaching a section that no longer touches land.

Earlier this week, members of Florida's congressional delegation called for a review of the wet-foot, dry-foot policy.

The rule was established in 1995 to stem a wave of Haitians and Cuban immigrants arriving on U.S. shores.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#11]
great. The Bush administration won't do squat do secure our borders, but when cubans make it here to escape a communist dictator, they'll fight in court to keep them out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont think I'd want to live on a bridge.......
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not even if you could be King?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys the bridge isnt connected to LAND and it isn't LAND.  it is an OBJECT made by man and sitting in USA waters.   The cubans didn't make it to land.  End of story.  If they sat down on a US Buoy in the middle of the keys it still wouldn't be LAND.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Guys the bridge isnt connected to LAND and it isn't LAND.  it is an OBJECT made by man and sitting in USA waters.   The cubans didn't make it to land.  End of story.  If they sat down on a US Buoy in the middle of the keys it still wouldn't be LAND.  

This thread isnt about the Cubans nor is it about ''land''. It's about territory.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in... our own version of Sealand, we can call it "Keyland".

Someone with a legal background should look up the sequence of events for Sealand.   Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That does not mean that it cannot be a nation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
This bridge has been abandonded and unattached to the US since 1935 near as I can figure. That's way longer than Sealand was abandoned.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Be something cool to hang out on when a Cat 5 hurricane comes barreling down.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I am not a lawyer, but I am a senior in Engineering at CSM, and I got one word for yall!  Fatigue.  

Have fun.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even if you could be King?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#22]
It should be turned into a national marine sanctuary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top