Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2006 2:10:56 PM EDT
Two of my neighbors are having an ongoing dispute.

Neighbor A has a sprinkler system for his lawn. It uses well water.

Neighbor B parks his new pickup truck in the driveway (he doesn't have a garage) and it is about six feet from Neighbor As property.

When Neighbor A's sprinkers come on in the morning, if there is any wind, the well water gets blown on Neighbor Bs new truck and it causes rust stains.

Neighbor A thinks Neighbor B shouldn't park have his truck parked there in the morning. Neighbor B thinks Neighbor A shouldn't run his sprinkers in the morning when his truck is there.

It would seem Neighbor A is completely within his rights to run his sprinklers at any time to water his lawn (morning being the best time).

It would also seem Neighbor B is completely within his rights to park his truck ANYWHERE (especially his driveway) and have a expectation to be safe from damage.

Obviously the wind is the issue, when it is strong enough to blow the well water vapor onto the next yard. But you can't blame the wind, so who is at fault?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they should both pitch in and build a small fence
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

beat me to it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ban the wind its for the children

or neighbor b smacks a 87 times
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

with Razorwire for effect
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

beat me to it.

"Good fences make good neighbours."
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Its only water, I dont see a problem.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Would watering his yard at a different time cause a burden on A?

Sounds to me like A needs to repair the rust damage to B’s truck and maybe adjust his sprinkler timer. Else B takes superglue to A’s sprinkler heads.    
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

beat me to it.

"Good fences make good neighbours."

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sounds to me like A needs to repair the rust damage to B’s truck and maybe adjust his sprinkler timer. Else B takes superglue to A’s sprinkler heads.    

Who is the truck owners going to sue if it friggen rains?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rain is not controled by a timer... and who said anything about sue?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I know that if a farmer sprays chemicals on a windy day and the sprays end up on a neighbors tress and damages them then the farmer who sprayed is liable for the damage.

So the guy who is spraying the water is wrong. He should conced and install a drip system.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take "It's George Bush's fault" for 500 Alex.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Water in the late evening when the truck isn't there?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rain is not controled by a timer... and who said anything about sue?

Rain doesn't generally rust either, which is the stated problem.

Neighbor A is in the wrong, because he's causing the problem on neighbor B's property.

Why is the morning supposed to be the best time to water the lawn? If you want it to soak in, it should be watered at night. When the sun rises it'll increase evaporation.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
What kind of truck rusts when it gets wet?  Is it painted, or just bare metal?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

could be the quality of the well water.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Neighbor B needs to back his truck up to the edge of his property and sling rooster tails all over neighbor B's property.

Maybe neighbor A could sling lead over neighbor B's property.

The options are endless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Where does one presons rights stop and the others start?? Usually from well water if it's not of the greatest quality you get mineral stains, at least here in Texas. Sometimes it will kill trees if sprayed on the leaves, or stain paint permanently if left on the truck.

Simply put, neighbor A has no right to get anything on neighbor B property, under any circumstance.  Dueling pistols at 50 paces... fullclip
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#19]
If the neighbor wants to make a point, he should apply some grass killer right at his property line when the wind is blowing towards the other neighbors lawn.

Just to show what happens when you do something and then blame the wind.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#20]
guys its probably rust stains from having a high iron content in the well water or from rusty irrigation pipes
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Neighbor A's sprinkler water stains my white vinyl fence. Maybe I should park my fence on the other side of the property.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
guys its probably rust stains from having a high iron content in the well water or from rusty irrigation pipes

Yeah, reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
wind=act of god= both/neither liable.

Now, you should be watering your lawn early enough that there is still no wind.  Usually done by 5 AM at the latest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#24]
It is friggen WATER.

Not pesticieds, not paint over spray... WATER.....

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you "neighbor A" or "neighbor B"?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Now, you should be watering your lawn early enough that there is still no wind.  Usually done by 5 AM at the latest.

Bullshit!

Owner of apartment complex decides it needs painted.   Dumbshit painters spray paint on windy day; towards all the tenents cars in parking lot.  Paint is on all the cars.   Guess who paid for all the paint removal?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

beat me to it.

+87 there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

could be the quality of the well water.

Well water can be awfully acidic. I know my well is below PH 4.5; even with a acid neutralizer, it's rarely above 5.5 - 5.8. PH
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Some well water contains iron....is that the source of the rust here?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1
It's iron oxide I believe, very common in South Florida sprinkler well water. It looks a lot like rust though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#31]
what kind of water causes rust on a new vehicle??

high mineral content my ass.....its still WATER wtf is up!

I hope they don't drink that water w/o a filter!

Truck owner needs to call the EPA on the spinkler dude, his water is contaminated...see look what it is doing to my truck!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]
If your neighbor's NEW truck is having a problem with rust spots on it due to this water, he should take it back to the dealer and have them put this stuff called PAINT on it.   That should stop the rust.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
It's iron oxide I believe, very common in South Florida sprinkler well water. It looks a lot like rust though.

iron oxide is rust
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#34]
A pickup truck is only so long.

The sprinkler dude can stick PVC in the ground, with a PVC frame, and a tarp, to limit the trucks exposure to the water, before he turns his sprinklers on.

30 seconds to put it up, temporary for as long as the sprinklers are on, 30 seconds to take it down, to prevent damage to the neighbors car from his sprinkler. Or he can tell his insurance company to get ready to paint this guys truck. Over and over and over again.

Or the truck guy can park on the street.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Neighbor A is watering his lawn and has no problem with the location, or actions, of Neighbor B.

He has every right to water his lawn, at his discretion.

Neighbor B could buy a car cover if there is a problem with anything getting on his truck that he doesn't want to get on it.

Neighbor A is not doing it spitefully or with malice, and he can't really be expected to STOP watering his lawn -- unless Neighbor B wants to foot the bill for replacing the dead grass.

The easiest solution is watering the grass when the truck has left.  They should agree to a time at which the truck is expected to be gone, but not so late so that the water might burn the grass in the mid-morning sun.

Work together, as neighbors.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It is friggen WATER.

It's well water, totally different animal,  not processed like what comes from your tap city boy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit!

Owner of apartment complex decides it needs painted.   Dumbshit painters spray paint on windy day; towards all the tenents cars in parking lot.  Paint is on all the cars.   Guess who paid for all the paint removal?

You can't hose paint off.  Judges will tell you to break out a hose and stop being babies  over something like this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Its only water, I dont see a problem.

It's well water and is notorious for causing rust stains.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Why is the morning supposed to be the best time to water the lawn? If you want it to soak in, it should be watered at night. When the sun rises it'll increase evaporation.

Early AM before sunrise.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Are you "neighbor A" or "neighbor B"?

I live across the street. I was working on the roof today when these two were bitching about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Probably what it is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is friggen WATER.

It's well water, totally different animal,  not processed like what comes from your tap city boy.

I dont live in the city. Hell city water in town is worse than well water around here.

It is still friggen water, so lets see, city boy buys a truck, drives only on paved roads, and the bed is pristen, not a scratch in it.
City boys nieghbor waters his lawn, a legal activity as long as there is no ban on lawn watering.
City boys truck gets a few water spots and throws a fit over water spots.

get friggen real.

I would tell him to stop going to the beach, he is getting sand in his mangina.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Neighbor A is making a nuisance with his watering.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Lime away is a decent product that removes rust stains, especially well water type stains.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is friggen WATER.

I dont live in the city. Hell city water in town is worse than well water around here.

It is still friggen water, so lets see, city boy buys a truck, drives only on paved roads, and the bed is pristen, not a scratch in it.
City boys nieghbor waters his lawn, a legal activity as long as there is no ban on lawn watering.
City boys truck gets a few water spots and throws a fit over water spots.

get friggen real.

I would tell him to stop going to the beach, he is getting sand in his mangina.

Causing rust stains on the truck is a lot different from "a few water spots". I have enough respect for my neighbor and myself than to cause him any grief, no matter how trival I think it may be. And I expect the same from him.

If I spend the weekend polishing and detailing my ride I can accept any rain or other "act of God". But my neighbor is not God.     Fullclip  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Watering at night can cause fungus problems, thats why they tell you to water in the early morning.  It soaks into the roots but get dried off the vegitation.  But who reeally cares.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#47]
It really is a problem in S. Florida.  You can see who waters thier lawns by their brown rusted sidewalks.  Its not terminal, but its not pretty.  Its not the concrete in the sidewalk rusting, its the iron content in the water itself that rusts and stains whatever it comes in contact with.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Causing rust stains on the truck is a lot different from "a few water spots". I have enough respect for my neighbor and myself than to cause him any grief, no matter how trival I think it may be. And I expect the same from him.

If I spend the weekend polishing and detailing my ride I can accept any rain or other "act of God". But my neighbor is not God.     Fullclip  

You sure? What if he is god, then what you gonna do?

All I am saying is it is WATER, FUCKING WATER.

Some of you people would shit yourselves and die if you drove on this Oklahoma red clay.

OH NO red clay stains on my truck, OH NOOOOOOOOOO

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Gotta love people.  In two minutes they could come up with an equitable solution, but noooooooooooo.  "I'm the Lord O' My Domain and everyone except for me is a bastard, especially that bastard beside me!"

Neither guy is actually doing anything wrong.  However, water sprinkler dude's water IS crossing the property line and getting on the other guy's property.  The one dude's truck isn't going across the property line.

Everyone has a right to water their lawn whenever they want.  But, I dunno, I don't guess they have a right to squirt the water on the other guy's property, eh?  The way I see it I can throw rocks, squirt water, throw old girlfriends or whatever on my lawn, but when the rocks, water or old girlfriends start crossing my property onto someone else's then I'm wrong.

But then I could be completely wrong.  Latrine law is not my domain of expertise.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure? What if he is god, then what you gonna do?

All I am saying is it is WATER, FUCKING WATER.

Some of you people would shit yourselves and die if you drove on this Oklahoma red clay.

OH NO red clay stains on my truck, OH NOOOOOOOOOO

Same as we have here. After a rain, you have monster tires from the mud sticking to them. A trip to the farm has my truck weighing double. I live a short trip from the Red River... fullclip
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top