Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 8:34:26 AM EDT
any body got experience with this? just got a garmin vista and i do alot of dual sport riding and might put it on the handlebars if thought it would be secure. post pics if you have em. tanx tim
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I had my Garmin eMap mounted on my KLR650's handlebars.

Do yourself a favor and hardwire it if you can.  The vibrations will cause the batteries to wear out the contacts and the GPS will fail.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Not all GPS are water proof and/or shockproof. Dirtbike handlebars are a pretty rough place to mount any electronic device that wasnt designed to go there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a shot of a buddies Suzuki DR400 with a GPS mounted on it.

This is a "Garmin 176C" GPS unit mounted in a "Touratech" anti-vibration mount. The 176C, has a large easy to read screen, the unit also can store many tracks and routes. The GPS, comes in handy when exploring an area that you are not familiar with, even if you get lost the "track-back" feather allows to find your way back to your starting point.

He swaps it out between his Harley, Yamaha R1, Ural and BMW R1150GS.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here is a shot of a buddies Suzuki DR400 with a GPS mounted on it.

mr-cob.smugmug.com/photos/652445-M-1.jpg

mr-cob.smugmug.com/photos/3510140-M.jpg

This is a "Garmin 176C" GPS unit mounted in a "Touratech" anti-vibration mount. The 176C, has a large easy to read screen, the unit also can store many tracks and routes. The GPS, comes in handy when exploring an area that you are not familiar with, even if you get lost the "track-back" feather allows to find your way back to your starting point.

He swaps it out between his Harley, Yamaha R1, Ural and BMW R1150GS.

He's got a Ural?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
ya i knew about the vibration thing and im going to hard wire or atleast remote battery it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top