Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 6:43:32 AM EDT
More tin-horn dictators are telling the USA and the world to take this and shove it, because they can stop selling oil to the USA, and sell it to someone else.
=================================================================
BBC NEWS
Venezuela 'to buy more weapons'
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has told a huge rally of supporters that he wants to buy more weapons to defend his country from invasion.

Speaking in the capital Caracas, Mr Chavez said 100,000 Kalashnikov assault rifles already on order from Russia were not enough.

Venezuela needed a million well-armed men and women, he said.

Mr Chavez also likened US President George W Bush to the German Nazi leader, Adolf Hitler.

Diplomatic relations between Venezuela and the US have been strained, but they worsened earlier this week when both countries expelled one another's diplomats after Caracas accused the US embassy of spying.

The Venezuelan government has repeatedly accused Washington of trying to destabilise President Chavez - an allegation rejected by US officials.

'Defend our fatherland'

The BBC's Greg Morsbach in Caracas says the rally - to celebrate a failed coup led by Mr Chavez in 1992 - got off to a militaristic start, with a bugler heralding the arrival of President Chavez at the podium.

I think Hitler would be like a suckling baby next to George W Bush
Hugo Chavez

Wearing his trademark red army beret, Mr Chavez said Washington was considering invading Venezuela.

"I ask for permission ... to buy another cargo of arms because the gringos want us unarmed. We have to defend our fatherland," he said.

"Venezuela needs to have one million well-equipped and well-armed men and women."

Last year the US tried to block the sale of 12 Spanish military planes to Venezuela that were made with US technology.

But Madrid recently said it would go ahead with the sale using more expensive European parts.

'Inflammatory rhetoric'

Turning to oil, the president said if the Bush administration wished to cut diplomatic ties to Venezuela, he would have no second thoughts about closing all the Venezuelan refineries in the US.

"Let's see what'll happen to the price of crude oil then", Mr Chavez told his audience.

He said the US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had been wrong last week to compare the Venezuelan president with Adolf Hitler:

"The imperialist, genocidal, fascist attitude of the US president has no limits. I think Hitler would be like a suckling baby next to George W Bush."

Washington is deeply opposed to the government of left-wing Mr Chavez, who is a vocal critic of the US.

The US has expressed concerns about Venezuelan democracy under Mr Chavez and about the effect of his government's military purchases on regional stability.

But the US has not said it will break off relations with Venezuela, and correspondents say Washington has dismissed threats by Mr Chavez as inflammatory rhetoric aimed at his core supporters.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/4682488.stm

Published: 2006/02/05 09:19:41 GMT

© BBC MMVI
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
We are in deep shit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#2]
He's going to financing and supplying the next communist revolution in the Americas.

He should be taken out and shot in the head.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He's going to financing and supplying the next communist revolution in the Americas.

Yep I would venture a guess that Colombia will probably join Venezuela.  Hell Mexico on down are all on the brink of revolution.  Doesn't take much down  that way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
What is with all of the oil bearing countries??  

They have a commodity that we need and are willing to sell to us but have gov'ts that are completely hostile to us.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep I would venture a guess that Colombia will probably join Venezuela.  Hell Mexico on down are all on the brink of revolution.  Doesn't take much down  that way.

Agreed, that area of the world is super unstable.  Arming all that many people could cause a revoltuion.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The US 'gubment should sell American-made weapons to Venezuala. We'll get the revenue and the jobs. Venezuala will get weapons that we know how to beat. And when we invade, we'll have fewer supply problems because we'll just use up the Venezuelan stockpiles. Then our boys can return home with hot Venezualan war brides. Hugo isn't a problem, he's an OPPORTUNITY!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, now that everyone is really scared, gather round the campfire and I will tell you the story of the consultant to the Venezuelan military.

He was a native Spanish speaker who had just retired from working with the US Air Force in a civilian logistics capacity. Something like a GS-14 when he retired. The Venezuelan Air Force hired him to help maintain their F-16s.

The first thing he said he noticed was that if they ever had a war it would be over by about noon. The reason was that everyone goes on siesta about noon, including the air traffic controllers and flight crews so, if a pilot brings down an F-16 at about 12:05 there won't be anyone around to help him get out of the plane. Siesta lasts until around 2:30 or 3:00. If you have a girlfriend, so much the better.

Then he looked to the maintenance routines. As you all might guess, it is important to keep F-16s in tip-top shape. If you don't, they tend to fall out of the sky and take out a city block or two.  So maintenance was Priority One for him.

In the course of his job he noticed that a particular monthly maintenance routine was being done wrong. This could be dangerous so he went to the captain and told him about it. The captain reasoned that they must not know the proper procedure so they set up classes to train the entire crew. The classes went well and everyone got a good grade. It was clear that everyone knew how to do the procedure properly.

Then the next month rolled around and they did the procedure wrong again. Mystified, this guy and the captain called in the head of the maintenance crew.

"Are you familiar with this procedure?" they asked.

"Oh, yes, quite familiar," he said.

"And you know that you were doing it wrong?" they asked.

"Oh, yes," he said, "we were using the wrong procedure."

"And we gave you a class in the right procedure."

"Yes," he said, and complimented them on what a fine class it was and how much everyone had learned.

At this point they were really mystified. "So, if you knew how to do it right, why did you do it wrong again?"

"Es mas facil," he said. (It was easier.)

They never did get the crew to do the procedure the right way.

The moral of the story is that South America is going to be screwed up for a long time for a lot of reasons, but Chavez is not going to change things a lot either way.

I suppose another moral of the story is: Don't stand under the flight path of a Venezuelan Air Force F-16.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is with all of the oil bearing countries??  

They have a commodity that we need and are willing to sell to us but have gov'ts that are completely hostile to us.

if I was the paranoid type, I'd wonder if it wasn't some kind of plot hatched by the uber liberals in the US who keep us from getting our own oil.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think Pat Roberson got in a world of doodoo for saying that same thing a while back.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Pat Roberson got in a world of doodoo for saying that same thing a while back.

Yes he did, but it does NOT mean he was wrong. He was just not PC.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 It may happen without our help because Venezuela is on the verge of a civil
war or outright coup d' etat due to a WILDLY unpopular government in the people's eyes.

This is news as of when, about 1840 or so?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted: I suppose another moral of the story is: Don't stand under the flight path of a Venezuelan Air Force F-16.
Trust me, the US Military knows just how lazy latinos are. We won't even attack them during the afternoon siesta. We're going to attack them in the darkness when they are all asleep.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted: I suppose another moral of the story is: Don't stand under the flight path of a Venezuelan Air Force F-16.
Trust me, the US Military knows just how lazy latinos are. We won't even attack them during the afternoon siesta. We're going to attack them in the darkness when they are all asleep.

Why even bother? They will have a new government as soon as the weather changes.

It would be like invading Bolivia. Bolivia has had more governments than they have had years of independence. It would be better to send Don Quixote to deal with them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#15]
i bet surplus ammo will get even more expensive now that venezuela is going to be buying even more of it up...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#16]
This guy must have forgotten what happened to USSR when they tried to out gun us.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This guy must have forgotten what happened to USSR when they tried to out gun us.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Turning to oil, the president said if the Bush administration wished to cut diplomatic ties to Venezuela, he would have no second thoughts about closing all the Venezuelan refineries in the US.

How long before they are sold or federalized?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top