Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 10:45:18 PM EDT
OK, I know I'm a bit of a night owl, staying up to all hours on the computer. But, seriously isn't it a little late to be out riding a 4 wheeler around?

We live set back from the rest of our neighborgood on a 60 acre piece of property. The first half of the property is a cow pasture and the other is solid woods.

Just about every night since we've move here the neighbors to the right are constantly going at all hours of the night back and fourth on ATVs. My parents are a little worried that they are up to know good, and I am more than a little suspicous.

They just passed a few minutes ago and I walked outside and took a peek through my new MUM and it's two guys on separate 4 wheelers, couldn't see any weapons with them and they didn't seem to have anything else with them.

What could they be up to?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Not real sure, but you can bet someone is holding his beer for him.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Checking their lab?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Checking their lab?

I've been all the way to the end of our property and theirs, it ends in a large canal. I don't think they meth heads, pot heads maybe.

The only other two things that I can come up with:
a) illegally hunting.
b) they have chicks, but I didn't see them bring any

So, I don't know

Quoted:
Don't know about the laws in LA but in Texas they could be out hog hunting. We do the same thing except we just drive around in our trucks and shoot out of the widows.

No hogs, we have deer though, and if they are hunting thye ain't doin it the legal way.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Coyote hunting maybe?

I've used my ATV in the middle of the night for coyotes
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#6]

We do lots of night rides, start around 10pm and ride till daylight.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It could be a lot of things, When I was a kid we all had enduro bikes and would ride them
on my friends dairy farm all hours of the night.
Maybe they get off from work at this time and just feel like riding alittle and having a couple
of beers
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a thought - just ask them about night riding.  

Now, don't just walk up  to them and launch into "What the fuck are you assholes doing?"....

Start a conversation about their quads.  Express an interest in quads and riding in general.
Tell them you saw them go by the other night, and wondered if it is more fun to ride at night.  

If they are up to no good, the answer to the last question will be evasive.  An excuse about a lost dog, or a lie about "It was not us".  If you get that answer, don't push it.  You know that they are up to something.

By the way, what part of your mother (mum) do you look through?

Lem
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's a thought - just ask them about night riding.  

Now, don't just walk up  to them and launch into "What the fuck are you assholes doing?"....

Start a conversation about their quads.  Express an interest in quads and riding in general.
Tell them you saw them go by the other night, and wondered if it is more fun to ride at night.  

If they are up to no good, the answer to the last question will be evasive.  An excuse about a lost dog, or a lie about "It was not us".  If you get that answer, don't push it.  You know that they are up to something.

By the way, what part of your mother (mum)NVG do you look through?

Lem

We don't really talk to the neighbors, for one, we caught them hunting on the property when we bought it, and they continued to do so, so we put up a gate and barbed wire fence and pretty much told them to stay the fuck off.

So I think the cordial Hi, how are you, isn't really going to happen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]
We go out riding at night all the time. It beats sitting at home on the computer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I work nights, and ride my mountain bike all the time at O-Dark-Thirty. I see 4 wheelers and 'Fiddy's all the time-they show up really well on PVS7 night vision goggles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Ever considered following their trails? quads turn up a lot of ground... if they're going to the same place repeatedly, chances are they've beat a path there by now. It'd be a fun little bit of recon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#13]
That's too bad, LArifleMan.  

As they say,  "keep your friends close, keep your enimies closer."

I have a neighbor I can't stand, but the fuckwad will never know it.  

Just keep watching them with the NVG's.  Jot down the dates and times you see them moving.  Never know when the FBI or the DEA might show up to ask about your neighbors - been there done that.

Lem
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#14]
It's because they are busy at 3:30.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#15]
They could just be rednecks out for a midnight spin
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#16]
We used to only ride at night to avoid hikers and the DEC. There is nowhere legal to ride in southern NY.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#17]
It's the only time i can see visions when im on mescaline
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Riding in the middle of the night has been known to happen out here. Usually alcohol inspired.

If they're on your property, and you don't want them there, that's called trespassing last I checked. Next time, call the police if it's a problem. They don't have any right to be out on your property. A little jail time might straighten 'em out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Just be thankful they haven't figured out how to duct tape a "boom box" to the handlebars.

Seriously, I've been around trash people enough not to be suprised at that behaviour.  They can be entertained by driving back and forth for hours.  No reason.  Just drive around and around or back and forth.  If they get bored the go back and forth then round and round.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#20]
They're not on our side, as far as I know it's hard to get on our side because of all the downed trees. I walked back there earlier this week and it did look like there wew trails beaten down either by walking or something else.

They just came back up to the front so I don't know what the hell they are doing back there
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Seriously, I've been around trash people enough not to be suprised at that behaviour.  They can be entertained by driving back and forth for hours.  No reason.  Just drive around and around or back and forth.  If they get bored the go back and forth then round and round.

oopsie, I must be trash people.

Sue me, I like to ride a quad around.

Also like to kiss girls and shoot guns, just because.

Damn, I'm trashy!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I have neighbors that do that too.  I never thought it was suspicious.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Rednecks
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Rednecks

Yup....hell, night four wheelin' is the shit.....!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]
LArifleMAN, where are you originaly from? In Georgia this would be nothing unusual.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Perhaps they are playing "Brokeback Mountain" with ATV's instead of sheep.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
LArifleMAN, where are you originaly from? In Georgia this would be nothing unusual.

I'm originally from LA, we just find this unusual because we are the only ones back here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I never knew I had neighbors that live way up in the woods behind me.  I started hearing atv's at all hours of the night.   Went out and talked with them.  Turns out they are nice folks.  My road ends at my house but becomes a class 6 road.  Seem during the floods we had up here in NH their main bridge to the house (about a mile up the main road) was washed away.  So now they take the class six (about 2 miles thru the woods) to get to their cars  that are parked at a friends house at the begining off my road.  The father is a sup at Cat and the son works a swing shift at cat so he is out at different times at the night.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I did it last night  I was also on 800acres in the middle of no where.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1

except never that long
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted: What could they be up to?
Brokeback ATV'ing
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess I should feel bad now.  Riding in the middle of the night is fun as hell.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#33]
yep thats when I  tape the GPS to the quad and run down the road  see what it tops out at
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#34]
The jackass that lives in the condo building across from me.

Really, what fun is cruising around the parking lot and over the ONE small grassy area in the middle?!?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
OK, I know I'm a bit of a night owl, staying up to all hours on the computer. But, seriously isn't it a little late to be out riding a 4 wheeler around?

We live set back from the rest of our neighborgood on a 60 acre piece of property. The first half of the property is a cow pasture and the other is solid woods.

Just about every night since we've move here the neighbors to the right are constantly going at all hours of the night back and fourth on ATVs. My parents are a little worried that they are up to know good, and I am more than a little suspicous.

They just passed a few minutes ago and I walked outside and took a peek through my new MUM and it's two guys on separate 4 wheelers, couldn't see any weapons with them and they didn't seem to have anything else with them.

What could they be up to?

See the previous thread about 'white trash'
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Checking their Crystal Meth Lab.

If they do it every night around the same time, this is what they are doing.  I've seen way too many assholes doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#37]
tweakers, man
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I've snowmobiled later than that.......

You know, get to the cabin late, unload the sleds.........well, since they are running anyway.........
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
They could just be rednecks out for a midnight spin

+1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

We do that too. We party up at the cabin, 10 guys, two ATV's, so if you want to ride, you will probably be riding at night some time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#41]
i was camping with some friends a while ago when we had a convoy of 4wheelers roll up on us at around 3 am- that was a nervous couple of minutes.  we had driven out there- and we're both loaded up and ready to unleash hell- but all i wanted was to sleep.

just a bunch of drunk rednecks, so we just hung out and BSed for a while and then they left again.  

i'd shrug it off as probably being nothing- that doesn't mean i wouldn't at least pay it some attention.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#42]
future organ donors.  be thankful for their posthumous service to the community.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
yep thats when I  tape the GPS to the quad and run down the road  see what it tops out at

Acording to my Garmin 79 for mine, and 77 for my brother's, but I just put the GPS in my pocket!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top