BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 8:10:36 PM EDT
www.kbcitv.com/x70029.xml

Garden City Cop Shoots Own Dog

February 4, 2006

By Jeff Ray

BOISE -  
The Garden City Police Department says one of its off-duty canine officers shot and killed a dog during a training session Friday night after the dog attacked him and another off-duty cop.

The department says the attack happened about 6:15 PM at the officer's home near State Street and Highway 55.

The department says the dog, a two-year-old Malinois, was not a police canine service animal. In addition the officer, not the department, owned the animal.

The officer is said to own a business that trains and sells dogs for public safety agencies.

According to a news release issued by the department, both officers were treated for bite and puncture wounds and released from the hospital.

The department says Idaho law and Garden City municipal code require that all dog bites be reported and investigated.

The news release says Garden City Police Chief James Bensley has asked the Idaho State Police to conduct the probe to avoid an appearance of a conflict.

In addition, because the officer fired his weapon an internal review of his actions will be conducted.

The department says it's not releasing the names of the officers because the matter is under investigation.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]

trains and sells dogs for public safety agencies

Even professionals can't control their trained animals.  I will never understand why someone would have one of those things.  They're dangerous.  Out of the three little girls on the street I live, two of them have been put in the hospital by dogs in the past five years.  My wife was put permanently in a nursing home by one.  A gun is a danger to no one since it will not fire unless you pull the trigger.  An animal is a different story.  They're like a loaded gun that you can't control where it is pointed or when the trigger is going to be pulled.z
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]

I will never understand why someone would have one of those things.

Do you realize that you're using the same language as people who hate guns?  They're afraid of them because they don't understand them and have no first-hand experience with them.

There's no information in this story about any possible actions leading up to the event, so we have no way of knowing if "one of those things just went off" or if there were other actions leading up to the officers getting bitten.  This is the same way in which negative firearms stories are reported.  For example, a Virginia State Representative had an accidental discharge in his office a week ago.   One of the titles I saw for an article about the event was "Representative Fires Gun in Capitol".  There simply isn't enough information about either event, in the articles presented, on which to base a solid opinion about the events.

Dogs, as with guns, must be controlled by their owners and they are responsible for them.  If you have an AD/ND it is your fault.   Dogs are controlled every day by millions of people. I have four dogs and they have never attacked anyone. This is because I taught them not to. If a dog attacks or scares someone,  then he has a bad owner who is entirely responsible for his actions.  

Your comparison of dogs to poor gun safety is logically flawed and wrong.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

Bad comparison.

How often does this happen I wonder?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Do you realize that you're using the same language as people who hate guns? They're afraid of them because they don't understand them and have no first-hand experience with them.

There is a big difference, and I stated it in my post.  A gun will never hurt someone else unless the trigger is pulled.  You can never predict what an animal will do.

I have four dogs and they have never attacked anyone.

Yet.  There's no guarantee they won't attack someone tomorrow.  You can depend on steel.  You can not depend on an animal that's ruled by instinct.z

ETA: or plastic.  Didn't want to leave-out Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Do you realize that you're using the same language as people who hate guns?  They're afraid of them because they don't understand them and have no first-hand experience with them.

There's no information in this story about any possible actions leading up to the event, so we have no way of knowing if "one of those things just went off" or if there were other actions leading up to the officers getting bitten.  This is the same way in which negative firearms stories are reported.  For example, a Virginia State Representative had an accidental discharge in his office a week ago.   One of the titles I saw for an article about the event was "Representative Fires Gun in Capitol".  There simply isn't enough information about either event, in the articles presented, on which to base a solid opinion about the events.

Dogs, as with guns, must be controlled by their owners and they are responsible for them.  If you have an AD/ND it is your fault.   Dogs are controlled every day by millions of people. I have four dogs and they have never attacked anyone. This is because I taught them not to. If a dog attacks or scares someone,  then he has a bad owner who is entirely responsible for his actions.  

But a gun, sitting unattended will not kill someone.  A dog will.  Bad comparison, but I understand your sentiment.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Some dogs have been known to go mad you know.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
do they go "kaboom"?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Random thoughts:

Posted due to headline being the cliche that it is

No doubt this dog was being trained to be vicious (under command)

I hate HATE certain breeds of dog, including but not limited to:
Rottweiler
PB
Chow
Australian shepperd
ect, due to their propensity to bite

That being said, I was bitten viciously @ 5yo by an Irish setter (that had bitten before)

I love dogs, had them growing up  the largest being a Briard terrier named "Pooper"
Looked just like "buck" on Married w/children
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Random thoughts:

Rottweiler
PB
Chow
Australian shepperd

That being said, I was bitten viciously @ 5yo by an Irish setter (that had bitten before)

I love dogs, had them growing up  the largest being a Briard terrier named "Pooper"

I have 3 dogs now. 1 Dalmatian, do not think she would bite anyone, she is 15+. 1 Welsh Corgi, do not think she would bite either. 1 3/4 German Shepard, 1/4 wolf, she would bite if you came in un-invited. But any of them could go nuts, but since I am not afraid of dogs, I would just knock the sh*t out of them, and failing that, bust there bottom jaw.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I figured this would get more attention.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

trains and sells dogs for public safety agencies

Even professionals can't control their trained animals.  I will never understand why someone would have one of those things.  They're dangerous.  Out of the three little girls on the street I live, two of them have been put in the hospital by dogs in the past five years.  My wife was put permanently in a nursing home by one.  A gun is a danger to no one since it will not fire unless you pull the trigger.  An animal is a different story.  They're like a loaded gun that you can't control where it is pointed or when the trigger is going to be pulled.z

I trust my dogs with the life of my one year old every day,they would kill ME before they let any harm come to him. My dogs are my first line of defense, i would feel naked without them,they are family,they are the ones that run to my son to guard him every time a car drives down my street, i trust those dogs more than most people i know.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's no guarantee they won't attack someone tomorrow.  You can depend on steel.  You can not depend on an animal that's ruled by instinct.z

Hmm, that statement seems to hold true for some people.....

Brian
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
that happened in OKC a few years back, couple of cops were fighting with a dude and the dog handler cop let his dog go and instead of attacking the dude, it attacked the black cop and wouldn't let go, the ofc. finaly pulled his pistol out and shot the dog in the head.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Something to consider:

We don't know the trainer of the dog, just because he is a K9 officer does not mean he is not an idiot.

Remember, we are surrounded by idiots.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I Have worked on occasion with one of the best trainers in the USA. He is Egyptian and trained working dogs for their armed forces. He told me something once and it went something like this. "With a gun you have a safety, and you can set it down and as long as no one touches it nothing will happen, with a working dog you have to watch them 24/7" His point being since dogs have brains they can get into trouble by themselves.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess the dog wasn't professional enough for the glock forty.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Good shoot....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good shoot....

+1

But sad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Random thoughts:

Rottweiler
PB
Chow
Australian shepperd

You listen to the media to much.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh please wise Sensei, please enlighten me
as to why I listen to the media too much?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top