Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 4:35:24 PM EDT
Story:
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/03/earlyshow/main1277667.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories

On Tape: Chase, Shootout After Kidnap

HOUSTON, Feb. 3, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dodge Neon after the chase and shootout (CBS/The Early Show)

"I know Jeremy knew better than to have a shootout with a police officer, but I have never known Jeremy to even own a gun."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suspect's ex-sister-in-law, Latanya Lambert

(CBS) A man who allegedly kidnapped a woman and child was killed by police after a high-speed chase and shootout that was caught on tape.

With a shotgun to her head, reports CBS News correspondent Lee Cowan, the mother and her 4-year-old daughter were forced to weave their Dodge Neon in and out of traffic on I-45 in Houston, as police gave chase, all the while dodging bullets from the suspect, who was firing at them and other drivers.

"As soon as I saw the gun," said motorist Q. Harris, "I told my wife to duck, and as soon as I told her to duck, he let off two rounds."

To escape the madness, Cowan says, the mother tried to open her door to bail out but, just as she did, the car slammed into the back of a pickup truck.

She went rolling down the pavement but got up and ran over to a police officer, who quickly threw her behind the car for protection as the shootout continued.

Witness Kimberly Rooks told reporters: "I heard one sound, 'Pow,' and then I heard, 'Patter, patter, patter, patter,' and I'm like, 'Oh my God, what's happening?' "

The car rolled slowly to a stop, riddled with bullet holes. The suspect, Jeremy Ethon Roberson, was found dead inside. Mother and daughter were rushed to a hospital for treatment.

Cowan noted that it all started in Dallas, where Roberson, believed to be the mother's boyfriend, grabbed the two and started the 230-mile chase south to Houston.

His family was at a loss to explain it all.

Ex-sister-in-law Latanya Lambert said, "I know Jeremy knew better than to have a shootout with a police officer, but I have never known Jeremy to even own a gun."

Roberson would have been 30 on Sunday. He only had a minor criminal record.

©MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw it on the news.  I almost freaked when I saw her rolling on the ground and run for the cops.  F'd up situation.  Didn't know it was 230 miles though....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Here, we probably wouldnt be allowed to chase that vehicle to start with.  Once the driver's ID was known, i KNOW certain supervisors would cancel a pursuit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh well, Darwin just handed out another award!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here, we probably wouldnt be allowed to chase that vehicle to start with.  Once the driver's ID was known, i KNOW certain supervisors would cancel a pursuit.

Even in an active hostage situation?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even in an active hostage situation?

Depends on the supervisor.  Knowing some of the ones we have here, they would say "well we know who he is; we'll just sign warrants on him". I've seen it done before with a domestic kidnapping.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: Roberson would have been 30 on Sunday. He only had a minor criminal record.
Happy birthday perp. Don't mess with Texas!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like that minor criminal record isn't minor anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top