Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 12:52:28 PM EDT
I am trying to get some video from my digital camcorder onto my pic, but have run into a problem.

When I click the "Capture video" button in Windows Movie Maker, it tells me that it can't because it syas: "A video capture device was not detected. Verify a device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again."

I'm trying to use a fire wire cable (Isn't that what your supposed to do?) I have a Canon NTSC ZR65MC. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure your camera is turned on and hasent automatically powered off if it if running off battery.  It should be auto detected when you plug the cable in a turn the power on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Make sure your camera is turned on and hasent automatically powered off if it if running off battery.  It should be auto detected when you plug the cable in a turn the power on.

It's on and it doesn't automatically detect it.

ETA: I'm probably missing some software or a driver, I just don't know what.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's like my sony, you may have to turn on a firewire transfer mode, mine dosen't switch automaticly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If it's like my sony, you may have to turn on a firewire transfer mode, mine dosen't switch automaticly.

How do I do that?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I was using USB on mine the one time I tried it, it has a function in the menu called USB stream, I had to turn that on.  I got a DVR with a DVD burner in it, I just use the A/V cable to transfer tapes to it to burn a DVD, it seems to have better video quality than the samples I did when I got the camera. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My camera doesn't have this sort of thing. Any other ideas Arfcommers?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
turn off zonealarm.

put the camera into VCR mode, or playback mode. Not record mode.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Firewire beats the crap out of even the fastest USB 2 for video transfer. That being said, your CPU should recognize the Firewire connection as soon as it is connected and powered-up.

I can't vouch for Windoze Movie Maker, I use Premiere and sometimes ULEAD but the command protocols that control the digital camcorders are pretty much standardized now.

Edited to add: Be sure to turn off anything else unnecessary, especially internet connections and anti-virus/firewall crap that can slow your CPU down or confuse it with needless use.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
turn off zonealarm.

what is zonealarm?

Pale_Pony, I have ULEAD, and I tried it in that, I even tried reinstalling it, but it still didn't work.

It's probably something simple, that I'm missing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
turn off zonealarm.

what is zonealarm?

Pale_Pony, I have ULEAD, and I tried it in that, I even tried reinstalling it, but it still didn't work.

It's probably something simple, that I'm missing.

zone alarm is a personal firewall..
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]
is your camera turned on and in playback mode

also are you using a firewire card or onboard firewire...are the drivers installed for the firewire.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#12]
have you tried re-installing the software
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
is your camera turned on and in playback mode

also are you using a firewire card or onboard firewire...are the drivers installed for the firewire.

yes, my camera is in playback mode. As for the firewire question, I got the hardware and put it on one of the empty bays in my computor. I'm not sure if the drivers for the firewire are installed, where can I get them?

I already tried to twonami as well.

I tried it on two computors and the other one has gotten video from this camera before.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Right click on "My computer", "properties", "hardware" go to "device manager" and look for any yellow question marks. Report back.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]
The only yellow question mark is the one on the top row for the Help button. What should I search for?

I found the drop down menu for the IEEE 1394 Host Controller, can I o anything with that? I already tried "Update Driver" and "Scan for hardware changes"

I'm pretty sure it's the camera, because one of the computors I already used to get stuff from it, and now it won't work. I have a Canon ZR65MC. Any special things you owners know that need to be set on it for it to work?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top