Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 12:34:26 PM EDT
looking to find out if they give tours of the coast guard cutter the mackinaw still?  the old one that is.  Just wondering because my father did part of his time in the coast guard on that ship, and I remember going on a tour of it when I was really young, was probably 20 years ago,  boy am I getting old.  Just thought I would check it out and mabey surprise him with it someday.

Thanx in advance

Brian
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell we give tours of anything!  Just go to it and ask for a tour.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks I know it is stationed in michigan I think.  but I know it comes to Milwaukee sometimes.  Do I just go to the USCG station here and ask about it?  Don't want to seem like a nut job when doing that.  Also as a side note.  they are testing the new mackinaw now.  so would the old one still be around?

Thanx

Brian
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about any testing or new boats.  And I've never been there.  Just go to the station and ask for a tour.  They should be able to give you one unless they are really busy.  I probably gave 200 tours of the boats I was on for 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes the old Mac is still around. Also stationed in Cheboygan Michigan with the new Mac.
Still scheduled to be decommissioned at the end of this ice season as far as I know. I think I read that the city of Cheboygan was trying to raise funds to turn it into a museum there.

Call Coast Guard Group Milwaukee, someone there might be able to tell you about scheduled port calls.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
thanx for the info I thought I read the new one was being tested as we speak,  and I think the original commander got releived of his duty for hitting a break wall. not 100% sure on this.  but would really like to surprise my dad with this due to he has been talking more and more about the good ol days while serving.  I thank you guys for your input

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top