Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 8:33:15 AM EDT
www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060203-115201-3700r

SANDRIDGE, S.C., Feb. 3 (UPI) -- A South Carolina man whose son shot his daughter with a loaded shotgun has been charged with homicide by child abuse.

Doremus Alston was arrested Thursday, the Charleston Post and Courier reported. His 4-year-old son fired the gun after finding it Thursday afternoon, hitting his 2-year-old sister in the abdomen.

Police Captain Anthony Phyall said the gun was apparently left where the little boy could find it and was not secured. He said the barrel had been sawn off to a length below the regulation 18 inches, making the trigger easier for the little boy to pull.

Alston has also been charged with possession of a sawn-off shotgun.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]

That's fucked up in so many ways.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He said the barrel had been sawn off to a length below the regulation 18 inches, making the trigger easier for the little boy to pull.

is it a requirement to be a chief or captain that you must be a total retard when it comes to firearms?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He said the barrel had been sawn off to a length below the regulation 18 inches, making the trigger easier for the little boy to pull.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
How the fuck does a short barrel make the trigger easier to pull? That's absolute BS. Don't get me wrong, if it is an unregistered SBS, then the guy did something illegal (though it shouldn't be), and the kid DEFINITELY did something horrible, but that captain is spewing shit out of his mouth.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Why cant these fuckin retards learn to unload their guns and hide the ammo when there are children in the house.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why cant these fuckin retards learn to unload their guns and hide the ammo when there are children in the house.

... or buy a fucking safe?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... or buy a fucking safe?

Atleast a ten dollar triggerlock. You aren't using the gun and have young kids that have no respect for guns then the gun goes in the safe or gets a triggerlock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#8]
All three lives ruined....

Girl Dead
Boy Has to live with the fact he killed his sister
Dad in prison

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How the fuck does a short barrel make the trigger easier to pull? That's absolute BS. Don't get me wrong, if it is an unregistered SBS, then the guy did something illegal (though it shouldn't be), and the kid DEFINITELY did something horrible, but that captain is spewing shit out of his mouth.

Some extra length on the barrels might have been too heavy for the boy to pick up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Girl Dead
Dad in prison

At 4 years old, it isn't certain that he will even remember it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1................why people dont buy safes or gunlocks with children in the house is beyond me.  I know our dept. gives out free gunlocks all year around.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Poor kids have a dumb ass for a father

GM
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Girl Dead
Dad in prison

At 4 years old, it isn't certain that he will even remember it.

even if he doesn't remember it, i doubt it's something that you could hide from him.

i mean some day he'll want to know why his dad's in prison.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Even at 4 I don't think you forget something like that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1................why people dont buy safes or gunlocks with children in the house is beyond me.

Because then the guys who sleep in marpat pajamas (XXL size) with tinfoil nightcaps (XXS size) can get that extra 5 second drop on those door-kicking JBTs and big black rapists that are just waiting for you to lock up home-defense ARs in a safe so that they can attack you in your sleep. Hell no, not me! I keep my loaded Glock under my pillow and sleep with my hand on the trigger 'cause you never can be to careful! Boogie men are everywhere!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
<whips out stirring spoon>
if only his mom had two abortions, then this would have never happened
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Would they have charged a single mother for the same thing?  I doubt it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
<whips out stirring spoon>
if only his mom had two abortions, then this would have never happened

If only mom had not bred with a complete idiot this would not have happened.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]

I won't overestimate the chief, but I bet this is the reporters rendition of what he said. Almost anytime I see a story related to something I'm familiar with myself,  the news nerd always pens some crap that is totally ridiculous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top