Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 8:01:46 AM EDT

I'm looking at tap & die sets.  It will probably only get used once in a while, but I don't want Chinese junk either.

Does anyone have brand or set recommendations?
  Hanson?  (I think the 6-48 taps I got from Brownells are Hanson)
  Craftsman?  (If ithese are like their other tools, they may have several levels up to Professional)
  Other?

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
All my taps and dies, as well as broken bolt extractors are Hanson. I have broke my 1/8-27 NPT tap a couple times, but have always had it replaced under warrenty. So far, I am very happy with them.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Hanson for me too-had them for years,good tools,good warranty.Can't go wrong.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
For very light occasional work Hanson and Craftsman basic sets will do fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Growing up, I'd use my dad's Craftsman "Kromedge" set.  Some of the cases/packaging for the Hanson sets that I've seen online look a whole lot like the case/packaging for my dad's old set.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hanson made that old set for Sears.

I've looked at the Craftsman sets online, but it's hard to tell what's what.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got Craftsman metric and SAE sets.  I only use them once or twice a year and they work great.  Got them on sale 50% off so price was my main consideration.

If you only plan on using them ocasionally, why not try Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd buy Craftsman.

Only for their warranty (if it applies to tap and die sets).
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got Craftsman metric and SAE sets.  I only use them once or twice a year and they work great.  Got them on sale 50% off so price was my main consideration.

Same here.  I have some Hansons which are excellent, but on a 50% closeout sale, I got a big Craftsman set, really nice quality, both metric and SAE.  MAde in USA.

I agree with the Harbor freight on many tools:  if I need it only a bit, no need to pay the professional level prices for a tool which will last 15 years in daily use.  I've used thins like concrete drills 3 times in the past year.  The cheapo HF one works just fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the Craftsman.

I use my metric/SAE set alot and never had anything break
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
some of the harbour freight stuff is low quality made in India or Pakistan junk.
Make sure it's quality stuff before you order it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Taps are not something you want to go cheap on. I would avoid HF for things like that. A broken tap is not easily dealt with. Get good ones,and use plenty of tapping compound with them when you are tapping something.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Craftsman are excellant tools love the warranty!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Whatever you buy, make sure it is HSS, High Speed Steel.

I like Magna. I have 2 sets of Magna taps and dies at work, SAE and Metric.

Greenfield is another good set.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#13]
When you break a tap off in a hole that goes to something important, you will ask yourself why din't I buy quality taps???? Go with Greenfield.   I run a machine shop and have found out the hard way.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Taps are not something you want to go cheap on. I would avoid HF for things like that. A broken tap is not easily dealt with. Get good ones,and use plenty of tapping compound with them when you are tapping something.

+ 1 million!

A cheap hammer or vise is one thing, a cheap tap and die set is a whole different story.

I’ve always liked Craftsman.  I especially like the ones (assuming they still sell them) with round dies that can be adjusted a bit with a screw to make slightly oversized male threads.  Granted, they’re more of a pain to set up than the hex ones (I’ve actually got both).

FWIW, if you’re sloppy enough you can break or otherwise ruin just about any tap or die (don’t ask me how I know!).
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.  I have some Hansons which are excellent, but on a 50% closeout sale, I got a big Craftsman set, really nice quality, both metric and SAE.  MAde in USA.

I agree with the Harbor freight on many tools:  if I need it only a bit, no need to pay the professional level prices for a tool which will last 15 years in daily use.  I've used thins like concrete drills 3 times in the past year.  The cheapo HF one works just fine.

I buy stuff from HF every now and then.  You get what you pay for, but for some stuff, "good enough" is good enough.  I've seen a tap & die set from HF, and I don't think I'd be satified with it.  

One thing I need to do is take a look at the Craftman stuff locally, and see how it looks.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I'm reading every post.

Quoted:

Why's that?  I read somewhere that regular carbon steel was preferable to HSS, because a broken tap could more easily be fractured in the hole for removal.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I like Magna. I have 2 sets of Magna taps and dies at work, SAE and Metric.

Greenfield is another good set.

Also Union Butterfield, and Sossner

Quoted:

Why's that? I read somewhere that regular carbon steel was preferable to HSS, because a broken tap could more easily be fractured in the hole for removal.

Well its like this - a good HSS tap used properly with tapping fluid is much less likely to break in the first place...

Its no fun having to burn out a tap ( via EDM ) even though I made a bunch of money fixing others mistakes...  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input, everyone.  I'm reading every post.

Quoted:

Why's that?  I read somewhere that regular carbon steel was preferable to HSS, because a broken tap could more easily be fractured in the hole for removal.

Carbon taps are ok if you are tapping holes in soft metel, like aluminum and some soft steels. Or for chasing threads.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top