Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:28 PM EDT
what brand of firearms would you have? Accessories?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
none, I would be out of business.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever made me money from the public.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Whatever made me money from the public.

My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
my shop would be completely devoid of magpul gheyness
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
i would have nothing to sell , i would end up owin myself
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
my shop would be completely devoid of magpul gheyness

The new grip (MIAD?) rocks - much better than any other grip I've used.

But their signature magpuls are dead to me!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
if money wasn't an issue, it would be geared towards EBR's and high end accessories...  sold to you as cheap as i could go while just barely breaking even.  i'd do it just to spread BRD.

but in the real world, i'd probably go with a variety, see what sells the best, and stick with that,
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd carry wall after wall of Lorcins and Jennings.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
the thing that really made me hate magpul was the "super duper pooper scooper high speed fit your fat cabbage patch kid finger with three layers of gloves through it extended trigger guard"  that many members here seem to worship.  that and the fact that they started by(in true beautiful capitalist form)  getting people to pay for some injected rubber gadgets that do what can be accomplished with $0.01 worth of 550 cord.  maybe its not that I hate magpul, just a lot of the people who love the magpul kool aid(and are too dumb to figure out that they're getting ripped off).

I am not a fan of the MIAD though, I love the A2 grip for some stupid reason.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, if I had my own gunstore, I wouldn't have much of a selection.  Definitly no AR15's or rifles of that nature.  I wouldn't know what the hell you'd do with those.  Can't hunt deer, that's for sure.  Probably a few muzzle loaders and long barreled shotguns.  

Then I'd post a whole bunch of posters of how our rights are being eroded by the left, but I'll ridicule you for the gun you want to own.  Oh yeah, I'd stock a good selection of knives and beef jerky.  No need to go to the gun show, I have everything you need right here.

Oh yeah, and I'd hire the most egotistical and narrowminded employees I could find.  They really don't know much about anything, except maybe shotguns.  They'll tell you 9mm Luger is also different from 9x19, and even that's different than 9mm Nato.  But that's ok, their heart is in the right place.  And above all, they'll ignore you if you need help, because number one priority is to gab on and on with the non paying customers.

Man, I see business booming.  I'm gonna retire a gazzilionaire.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Lot's of EBRs, handguns, and Milsurps.
Lots of ammo with decent prices.
Lots of mags (from good mfgrs, no USA brand crap) with decent prices.
Stripped lowers and AK flats available, as well as BIY Tapes.
A computer with an internet connection, so customers can do find the item they want to transfer.
Coffee and donuts.
above all else, a well lit, tidy shop with a curteous and knowledgable staff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I would specialize in militaria & surplus firearms and antique firearms

civil war

Spanish American War

WWI

WWII

curio & relic
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi points, nothing but Hi points
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Storefront would be a supplement to the building and manufacturing.  Gunshops cant make really good money honestly, being a reciever is probably a nice sideline though $25 at my regular FFL.  Running a gunshop as an online seller or wholesaler has real potential as well as a builder.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, and I'd hire the most egotistical and narrowminded employees I could find.  They really don't know much about anything, except maybe shotgunsGLOCKS.  They'll tell you 9mm Luger is also different from 9x19, and even that's different than 9mm Nato.  But that's ok, their heart is in the right place.  And above all, they'll ignore you if you need help, because number one priority is to gab on and on with the non paying customersGT'ers.

So you'd hire a GT er.......

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Storefront would be a supplement to the building and manufacturing.  Gunshops cant make really good money honestly, being a reciever is probably a nice sideline though $25 at my regular FFL.  Running a gunshop as an online seller or wholesaler has real potential as well as a builder.  

I have to disagree, A large one can do well
We have one here called Hoffman's and they can sell 20 to 30 guns a day
I have been inside looking while watching 5 sales man filling out forms at the same time
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd go for internet sales to forumites as well as walk ins... especailly with CHEAP ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A computer with an internet connection, so customers can do find the item they want to transfer.
Coffee and donuts.

+1
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
In my world....my store would look like:

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]
My store would consist of two main types of weapons. In basically the whole store would be the guns I sell that people will buy. Whatever makes me the most money. Then, on top of the very top of some really high shelves/in other incredibly inconvenient, out-of-the-way places where nobody but those with the most Chuck-Norrisy Goodness would look, I would put the guns I that (ab)used my FFL to buy simply for myself. I think technically you can only use the liscence to buy stuff you sell, so technically I would be displaying them for sale.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#22]
It doesn’t matter what you sell. As long as you inflate your prices by 40% (A local gun store here is trying to sell bushmasters for $1300 & a DPMS for $1100) and ignore your customers you will do just fine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It doesn’t matter what you sell. As long as you inflate your prices by 40% (A local gun store here is trying to sell bushmasters for $1300 & a DPMS for $1100) and ignore your customers you will do just fine.

prices are inflated by 100% at some places where I am...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#24]
as much as I'd like to cater to the high-speed-low-drag crowd, here in CA, you gotta side with the Elmer Fudd crowd.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Blasers, all Blasers

and maybe a few nice double guns for the african guys, hey Im in Dallas, we have a big high end hunting crowd here....

oh yea, and of course more AR's in various configs then you can shake a stick at.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In my world....my store would look like:

HAHA..there used to be a good gun shop in Sacramento called Zeke's!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Phased plasma rifles in the 40, 50, 75 and 100 - Watt range.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I figure it'd be like the town drunk owning a bar

The ammo counter would be empty, every rifle & pistol in the place would have been "test fired" to assure quality.  Dozens of opened partially full powder kegs & countless opened bullet boxes with 4 or five "missing" projectiles.

Over in the corner there'd be a reloading press...or six with spent primers & tumbling meda all over the floor.

Damn, I think I just described my reloading room
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Coffee and donuts.

If I only knew where one of those was I'd go there and spend alot of money.

I might have to make start a store like that.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Anything and everything with the word "tactical" on it.

If it says tactical, people will by it.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:14:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anything and everything with the word "tactical" on it.

If it says tactical, people will by it.  

And Airsoft
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I figure it'd be like the town drunk owning a bar

The ammo counter would be empty, every rifle & pistol in the place would have been "test fired" to assure quality.  Dozens of opened partially full powder kegs & countless opened bullet boxes with 4 or five "missing" projectiles.

Over in the corner there'd be a reloading press...or six with spent primers & tumbling meda all over the floor.

Damn, I think I just described my reloading room

Nope, you just described my living room.

My Gun Store would only employ topless gunchickz! My customers wouldn't care WHAT they bought as long as the salesgirl had nice hooters!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd have topless gun girls out front and full nudies in the vip room.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd run it just like Gunstop here in MN.  Coupla crochety old guys behind the counter, constantly cracking jokes, who really do know more about guns than anyone I've met.  Lowest prices in town.  Lots of evil black stuff, tons of ammo and mags, and a really old dog that they're always trying to include in the sale.  Sometimes they even offer to lower the price of the gun if you'll take that damn old dog.  No tactical BS, just good answers to questions and jokes.  

Oh yeah, and sometimes they get in a whole bunch of old blue N-frame Smiths, and they only stay on the shelves about two days, and I always drool on 'em.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if I had my own gunstore, I wouldn't have much of a selection.  Definitly no AR15's or rifles of that nature.  I wouldn't know what the hell you'd do with those.  Can't hunt deer, that's for sure.  Probably a few muzzle loaders and long barreled shotguns.  

Then I'd post a whole bunch of posters of how our rights are being eroded by the left, but I'll ridicule you for the gun you want to own.  Oh yeah, I'd stock a good selection of knives and beef jerky.  No need to go to the gun show, I have everything you need right here.

Oh yeah, and I'd hire the most egotistical and narrowminded employees I could find.  They really don't know much about anything, except maybe shotguns.  They'll tell you 9mm Luger is also different from 9x19, and even that's different than 9mm Nato.  But that's ok, their heart is in the right place.  And above all, they'll ignore you if you need help, because number one priority is to gab on and on with the non paying customers.

Hey, I think I've been to your store.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#36]
If I had the money for the startup...

I would stock at least 1 of every firearm that is currently produced (minus machine guns etc) so that a guest (I hate the word customer) could fondle any weapon he chooses before making a purchase. Of course, items like Glocks/Sigs/XDs etc (you know, the stuff that sells like hotcakes) would be in good supply in my supply room.

But my gun store would be different. Mine would have no bars on the windows (they would be 1 1/2" plexiglass however) or doors. The store would have nice hardwood and the walls would be a light tan or something. Any posters on the wall or pictures would be framed and the store would look presentable.

Of course, all of my merchandise would be stored in a vault of 5 inch thick steel walls with alarms and everything else.

This is of course if I had the funds to make that work.

(my emphasis on the stores appearance is because every gun store I've been in makes me feel uncomfortable and wierd)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#37]
My employees would only be ex-special forces guys and there would be a kick ass jerky section.  Hey it's been successful so far.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to disagree, A large one can do well
We have one here called Hoffman's and they can sell 20 to 30 guns a day
I have been inside looking while watching 5 sales man filling out forms at the same time

Selling Hi-Points and Lorcins in the hood to straw buyers 20 at a time is hardly honest.  Now I agree we should not stand in the way of criminals offing eachother however occasionally thier are innocent victims.  Most gun shops here are pawn shops who deal in shit, with 4 true gun shops.  Where do you think most of the guns used in crime are sold?  The other thing about the pawn shops is if they have anything worth buying it comes strait out of SN or Gun List and I can buy it and have it recieved far cheaper in nearly every case.  Gun and pawn shops do not like educated buyers thier is not enough money to be made.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I would sell only used guns.

- Used Colt M16s
- Used H&K MP5s
- Used Uzis
- Used AC556s
- Used 1919s

etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Coffee and donuts.

..........Plus a few pics of hot chicks in Bikinis hold guns!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#41]

oh, and maybe a couple overpriced pos rifles that I wont negotiate the price of.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Coffee and donuts.

You should really do it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#43]
My shop would not carry 'fine sporting arms'. The Ducks & Deer Elmer Fudd crowd would feel uncomfortable and uneasy in my shop. No fine checkering, no breathtaking inlays or engraving. Only a few utiliarian bolt guns and shotguns.

The shop would be in an old, dimly-lit, dusty building. It would be permeated with the scent of military surplus, brass, gun oil, bacon, coffee, and pie. In the afternoon when the sun was low in the sky you could see the dust motes swirling around in the sunlight streaming through the firing ports in the walls. The store would be decorated with old recruiting posters, right-wing propaganda, and joke posters like the "Have a nice cup of STFU" poster. There would be a "Vote from the rooftops" poster. Surplus camo netting would be draped across things and hanging from the walls and ceiling.

Everything in the store would range from entry level to low-end top of the line stuff. Top of the line stuff would be available for order.

I would specialize in EBRs, C&Rs, and other interesting stuff. There would be a wall full of AR-15s, FALs, AK variants, the gun Al Pacino used in Heat, Enfields, SKSs, M1s, K-31s, and anything else like that I could get my hands on.

There would be Sigs, Glocks, Kimbers, H&Ks, CZs, and the sort.

Parts and accessories would be available. Stripped lowers, 80% lowers, jigs, building tools, how-tos, etc.

NFA items would be sold.

FFL transfers would be a flat fee of $25; no BS.

Surplus ammo would be stacked up in ammo cans and crates. An ammo fort would be built in the corner with a sign on it that said "Fort Taxman". Ammo would be available for bulk purchase. Top defensive ammo would also be stocked for rifle and pistol calibers. Gold Dot, Ranger T, etc.

There would be a 'secret' room in the back like the gunshop guy in Terminator and the whackjob surplus store owner in Falling Down. The good stuff would be kept back there. Invitation only.

Useful military surplus would be stocked to help provide that old musty scent. MREs, freeze-dried nitro-packed food, beef jerky, water storage accessories and the like. A survivalist's warehouse.

Good coffee and cheap powdered donuts would be served. Employees must have an EIB or greater to run the coffee machine.

If any hot chicks worked there, Mondays would be Miniskirt Monday and Thursdays would be Thigh-high Boots Thursday. At least one employee would be a crochety old BTDT war vet geezer who truly knew everything.

In the middle of the store would be a period-correct Willys MB with a 1919 mounted. There would also be a half-track on display. In addition, the store would carry out any off-premises local trips in either another Willys MB or a DUKW.

Basically, I would be on the watch lists of every law enforcement agency with jurisdiction, the ACLU, and the SPLC.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Any of you guys serious about trying to start a store?

I'm only 21 and I've thought alot about it.  I'd really like to someday.

I've thought of how I'd run it before, but its really more of a constant daydreaming subject than anything else right now.

I can see having a computer in the store and doing alot of FFL transfers (and welcoming them).   Buy ammo by the skid and sell it cheaper than Walmart (don't know how possible this is because its DAMN sure not very common).   And not all of it Wolf, either.

And, an indoor range.... if run right I would think it'd be pretty easy to make some money with this, setting up policies with area Police Departments, CCW courses, and lotsa free events to get kids competing with each other.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Two words:Dealer Sample
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#46]
EBR's, 80% recievers, tool kits for completeing your own firearms, racks and racks of C&R guns, on-site gunsmith.

Anyone who comes in and claims to be a super-secret ninja door-gunner by-God better provide proof or it's a lifetime ban.

10% discount for veterans.

Female sales clerk for female customers.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#47]
My gun store would be a sporting goods store.

I would have a section for fishing, clothes, archery, and on one end I would have an indoor archery range.

Most importantly, on the other end I would have an indoor pistol range.
I would rent FA's and charge all of you tight asses a small fee for using my range.........but you would HAVE to buy your ammo from me.

AHH.......fuck it, that would be too much work, for too little money.

If I was going to do it........that's how.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#48]

A lot of stock.  Pretty much every type of sporting and non-sporting arm.  Different areas of the shop devoted to different shooting sports.  EBR and AK's here with all the "tactical" do dads, mil surp stuff, over in the other corner, fine double rifles with a small LCD TV playing a tape of my last trip to Africa.  Yet another area would be devoted to women, with female employees for newbie questions.  A full gunsmith shop in the back that does custom work as well as 80% build classes.  A small eating area and grill that does burgers, sandwiches etc with a members only club room with full bar and cigar area.  Located as close to a bedroom community of a major southern city as I could get and still afford enough land behind the shop to have a 100yd 200yd rifle range, indoor and outdoor pistol area and skeet/trap/5 stand.

And finally...a sign up front, in the same style and wording the state requires, forbidding the concealed or open carry of beanie babies or jerky.  Also, a published store policy that anyone claiming to be a Navy SEAL, ex-SF, or such MUST show their DD214 or be kicked out.

I have seen 99% of the above at various shops.  Just need to put it all together under one roof.

It would be sweet, but if you had the $$$ to pull it off, most would just retire first.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#49]
If I had THAT much money to open one, I would just put it in the bank and sit on it.......yes, yes, interest is low.....

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#50]
My dream.....
Straight tactical. Law enforcement and military stuff. Gun building and repairing in house by certified armorers. Guns stocked in house would be limited to AR15, M1A, Rem 870, and Bolt action precision rifles, Glock, Beretta, and Gov’t 45s of various manufacturers. Other manufactures to be determined by demand. Any firearm can be ordered on an individual bases by anyone like any gun shop. Trade-ins will be extremely limited; if you want the uber tactical Hi-Point we'll order it for you. Once it leave's the shop it doesn't come back, it is not eligible for trade in. We WILL give any assistance to the owner of the "Uber Tactical Hi-Point" regarding warranty issues. We won't fix it but we will help get the gun returned to the manufacturer. Firearms transfers for individuals will be available on a limited bases for a reasonable price.

Top shelf accessories from the best US companies..... If it says made in china it does not come in my shop.
Pistol, 300 yard (more if possible) rifle and shotgun range that requires annual membership with 1 or 2 days a month set aside for "Open to the public" to promote the shop and boost membership. Some days will be closed to everyone but LEOs or Military for training purposes. Range facilities will be state of the art. I want a precision rifle range and CQB area that includes several 2 or 3 story buildings for urban training available and a pistol range with multiple popup/reactive targets as well as stationary paper targets. Top shelf instructors employed fulltime to work shop duties as well as offer to anyone firearms training. Basic (CCW) through advanced pistol, rifle and shotgun courses would be available. These courses will be offered to qualified people (non-felons) with the option of multiple student classes for a fixed reasonable price or individual one on one training; price determined on the level of courses requested. The option of NRA sanctioned competitions to be offered based on public interest.
Ammunition stocked in the shop will be limited to the calibers of the guns stocked in the shop; .22, 5.56/.223, 7.62 NATO/.308, 30-06, 9mm, .40cal, .45acp, .357/.38sp.
Possibly some sub-calibers for backup guns; .380.... To be determined by demand.
All ammo will be the top brands for reliability. No cheap crap.
Any caliber/brand will be available for ordering for individuals; must be in case quantity. If you want 1- 20 round box of wolf .223.....go to Meijers!
Not trying to be a dick, but a lot of shops try to carry every fricken brand and caliber on the market and a lot of it just sets there for years.
My ideas of a well run gun shop is to keep the overhead on inventory limited to the stuff that sells. If enough demand is shown for a particular item then adjustments can be made, but if someone wants Chinese made mags for their "uber tactical" Jennings I'll order them for you (Paid in full at the time  the order is placed) but if they don't meet your expectations..........sorry for your luck. You bought'em there your problem not mine.

Top shelf items only will be stocked. I would attempt to do my best to compete with internet prices on all items.

Just my dream!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top