Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 3:38:16 PM EDT
Whom have you all had good experiences with?

I've heard many horror stories about register.com.

I've heard good things about godaddy.com.  Any other opinions?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple with godaddy. No problem so far...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Do NOT, I repeat DO FUCKING NOT use Yahoo domains.

If you do so after my warning, you deserve everything that will happen to you.  You may have seen some of my various rants on this board - they don't hold a candle to how bad Yahoo is.  Yahoo's customer service was so far worse than anything else I have experienced in my life, that it is astonishing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used registerfly numerous times without any problems. That being said....

...more people seem to be happy with godaddy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
can't go wrong with network solutions....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do NOT, I repeat DO FUCKING NOT use Yahoo domains.

If you do so after my warning, you deserve everything that will happen to you.  You may have seen some of my various rants on this board - they don't hold a candle to how bad Yahoo is.  Yahoo's customer service was so far worse than anything else I have experienced in my life, that it is astonishing.

I take it you've never been a customer of ameritech...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
godaddy.com for the win!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
This was asked last week, wasn't it?

If you're going to set up a server at home, and don't have a static IP address assigned to you, then you're going to need a dynamic DNS updating service.  I don't know if godaddy does that or not...

I use dyndns.org.  Registered my domain, and use a dynamic DNS entry service through them.  I think it's about $35 a year, with discounts if you pay for more than a year at a time.   They also have an update client that works well and is easy to configure in Windows (xp or server).  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Godaddy
dreamhost
network solutions
powweb
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I just signed up with godaddy, i screwed up with the hosting process, but the customer service( via email) has been good.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've used godaddy a few times with no trouble. The thing is to either

1. Register for multiple years to get the discount (renewalls are $35 per year normally)
or

2. When you sign up for a hosting service they often have an offer to register your URL for free.

WTF have you been smoking?

I don't think domain name registrations have EVER been that costly at Go Daddy. Go Daddy built their entire business model around luring away NetSol's (who charged $35/yr) customers with inexpensive registration fees.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
godaddy
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've used godaddy a few times with no trouble. The thing is to either

1. Register for multiple years to get the discount (renewalls are $35 per year normally)
or

2. When you sign up for a hosting service they often have an offer to register your URL for free.

WTF have you been smoking?

I don't think domain name registrations have EVER been that costly at Go Daddy. Go Daddy built their entire business model around luring away NetSol's (who charged $35/yr) customers with inexpensive registration fees.

Sorry I don't smoke.  Godaddy and many others charge about $7 for the first year.  But when it comes time to renew it's about $35.  If you sign up for multiple years you get a nice discount.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/charts.asp?se=%2B&showAltTLDs=1

All the domains I have at Go Daddy are registered one year at a time. They automatically renew at $8.95 per year. True, if you renew for multiple years you get a discount, but initial registration or per-year renewal is NOT $35 unless you're registering something unusual like a .at, .tv, etc domain name.

You must be one of those folks that let a domain expire and had to pay the Domain Registry's redemption fee.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You must be one of those folks that let a domain expire and had to pay the Domain Registry's redemption fee.

I did.   NetSol didn't charge me $35 for that mistake, they charged me $150 plus $35.  (I'd registered it in the days before NetSol was forced to allow other registrars -- nowadays I use GoDaddy since they're 1/4 the price and have better policies.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top