Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2006 12:10:59 PM EDT
Someone please enlighten me as to what the hell is going on in country music these days.  It seems that no matter when I turn on the radio my choices are rap or crappy contemporary country music ie. She thinks my tractor's sexy, Day one, etc.  It seems that this particular genre has gone from guys like Jonny Cash, David Allen Coe, and of course Hank (Sr. and Jr.) to pinko commie butt wipes singing about things that have absolutely no bearing on rural life and calling it "country".  When did this happen?  Why did this happen?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Lite Rock has taken over and is being marketed as Country music.  Real country misic died when Reba McIntyre opened her dicksucker and started making noise into a microphone.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The Nashville Music industry is targeting itself towards the 15 to 38 year old female crowd.  Remember when Johnny Cash came out with American Recording the country radio station wouldn't play it.  This was his response in a full page magazine ad.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Rascal Flats sucks!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know.  I grew up listening to Country, but I gave up on it when Achy Breaky Heart and Boot Scootin' Boogie were all they played on the radio.  Give me Kenny Rogers, The Bellamy Brothers, Alabama, Randy Travis, and Charlie Pride please.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks akethan, I've been saying that for years...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Someone please enlighten me as to what the hell is going on in country music these days.  It seems that no matter when I turn on the radio my choices are rap or crappy contemporary country music ie. She thinks my tractor's sexy, Day one, etc.  It seems that this particular genre has gone from guys like Jonny Cash, David Allen Coe, and of course Hank (Sr. and Jr.) to pinko commie butt wipes singing about things that have absolutely no bearing on rural life and calling it "country".  When did this happen?  Why did this happen?

I believe it's "commie pinko" and not the other way around.

I would suggest listening to your own CDs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
There are a few truely country songs coming out you just have to look beyond the radio.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
[twang]  ... the country ain't country no more...   [/twang]

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
country is johnny cash and waylon jennings and merle haggard and david alan coe and webb pierce and hank williams, etc............

the monkey-fucking tards pretending to strum a guitar whilst singing like a 13 year old girl have NOTHING to do with country music
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
So 'tractors' are pretty common in urban settings?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Nothing happened to it.  It continues to suck, as it has always done.

CO
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I have never been a big country fan, and most of it has always been crap, IMO. The ones I like are the ones that are more rock and blues influenced. I do like Willie and Johnny OK.

Check out this guy.www.jaceeverett.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Nashville Music industry is targeting itself towards the 15 to 38 year old female crowd.  Remember when Johnny Cash came out with American Recording the country radio station wouldn't play it.  This was his response in a full page magazine ad.

www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/jcash.jpg

You hit that one on the head!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

DUDE, that music is STILL ALIVE and WELL, it's just moved to SIRIUS. Get there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

CO

yup
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
On a happier note, bluegrass appears to be more popular than ever.  And the new bluegrass people do TRUE bluegrass.  Allison Kraus, uh... can't think of any others...

But at least it isn't the pop music with fiddles that "country" has become...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

CO

A bigger question is what happened to rock and roll?

Seems like everyone producing today needs to be no lithium- everyone with these "socially concious" songs that are just boreing depressing whining...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Alan Jackson is someone who still has some decent stuff

Honkeytonk Badonkadonk!!??? WTF!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Honkeytonk Badonkadonk!!??? WTF!!!!

i'm with you.  one of the several thousand new country songs that i cannot fucking stand.  the channel gets immediately changed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't listen to "Contempary Country" radio.

Go buy some Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, David Allen Coe, Waylon Jennings, Charlie Pride, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson, Hank Williams, Hank Williams Jr, Charlie Daniels and Alabama CDs. Listen to that.

What happened to country radio? Nashville.

There are very few good modern country bands. I enjoy Cross Canadian Ragweed, but their songs do blur the line between "Country" and "Southern Rock." Much the way Lynyrd Skynyrd did, but with more emphasis on the "Texas Country" than on "Southern Rock."

Modern "country" and modern "rock" and "alternative rock" is the reason I don't hardly listen to anything but "Classic Rock" and "Country Gold."

Pretty much the only thing I listen to besides that is Metallica, Cross Candian Ragweed, the Kyle Bennet Band.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I read somewhere that Tim McGraw said, "I will not have my music limited by the hat I wear."  Let's face it, this guy's greatest hit was nailing Faith Hill...and that ain't all that great.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#30]
TX country is still out there to ease the pain

CCR
mike graham
robert earl keen
etc......

check these guys out....................www.busterjiggs.com  guy on the right is one of my oldest friends.  i may very well be biased but everybody else likes the music too...................give it a listen, i think they have sample tracks on their website.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I don't really care for most of his music that much.  Maybe it's just 'Way down Yonder on the Chattahoochee' that I can't stand.  Mainly because he's from my hometown, and his stuff got played to death when he hit it big.

That song about buying a Mercury is pretty catchy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I read somewhere that Tim McGraw said, "I will not have my music limited by the hat I wear."  Let's face it, this guy's greatest hit was nailing Faith Hill...and that ain't all that great.

not only does his music suck...........so does he.

i read an article a few days ago about how he plans to run for office after he gets done with music.  care to venture a guess as to which party he'll be running in?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#33]
"Garth Brooks did for country music. What  pantyhoes did for fingerfucking" -Walyn Jennings

Shooter Jennings and Hank 3 are on the right track. Good stuff there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

CCR
mike graham
robert earl keen
etc......

check these guys out....................www.busterjiggs.com

You forgot Jerry Jeff Walker and Townes van Zandt

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CCR
mike graham
robert earl keen
etc......

jerry jeff went to shit when he quit drinking
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Google "No Depression".  It seems like folks who fall under that genre are doing good country music.

Of course you won't get any nifty sounding hooks or big names, but the music stands up all by itself.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

CO

AMEN brother....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Geez...not this shit again.  Music is ever evolving and thus the change.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#40]
The group Lonestar had a good song once called "When cowboys didn't dance" and now they sing crap like, "Baby, I'm amazed by you..."    Makes me want to tell them to shut their man pleaser!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#41]
On XM right now:

Channel 10 - George Jones "Say It's not You"

Channel 13 - Hank Lackin "Let Me Be the One"

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#42]

"What happened to country music about whiskey drinking and ass-kicking?"  - Butthead
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Geez...not this **** again.  Music is ever eDEvolving and thus the change.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That song about buying a Mercury is pretty catchy.

It never got any air-time to speak of, but the song about his old T-Bird is one of my very favorites...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I tried listening to country music, but it is just like pop/ top 40 music. The same crap over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
"What happened to country music about whiskey drinking and ass-kicking?"  - Butthead

That says it all right there!  +1
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CCR
mike graham
robert earl keen
etc......

jerry jeff went to shit when he quit drinking

Jerry Jeff Walker has a nice house in Central America. I have been on the property but not inside.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn good question. My grand father used to drive me around south Lousianna and we would listen to old timey country and what some might call blue grass. Real old stuff. I only listen to old stuff now and I am forty. In the truck I have Waylon, Loretta and Conway, and a "country greats" compilation with old stuff from Tammy wynette, Tanya Tucker, etc.

I saw some pole smoker pretty boy on CMT the other night and he was acting like a wigger and hoping around, but he had a cowboy hat on, so he must have been singing country. The media and record companies sell use pretty faces without talent as they think we will not buy records from fat hairy women with great voices or stupid looking men with a hell of a picking ability. And we the public lap it up, or at least some folks do.

He stopped loving her today.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't listen to country but I stumbled upon the country music channel a few weeks ago.  At first I though I was on BET, because there were a bunch of scantily clad women shaking their ass in a "club".  Then I noticed that the guy "singing" had a cowboy hat on.  I believe the song was "girls gone wild" or something to that effect.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top