Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 11:05:18 AM EDT
What can you tell me about the Keltec P-11? Can I count on it when I need it? Can it hit anything more then 12 feet away? Can I fix the trigger? (it is 9.5 pounds!)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine fired every time.

I found accuracy increased if you raised the gun and fired vs settling the sights and slow squeeze.

I don't think so.  The heavy trigger is the only safety.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thankyou sir.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
KelTec' customer service is top shelf!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
My brother has been carrying a P-11 every day for years. He loves it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got 3 KT pistols, a P32, A P11 and a P40.  The P40 is now a discontinued model.  My experience with KT pistols is that they're a good design, but the manufacturer ships too many that don't work right out of the box.  Most of the time it's nothing a fluff and buff won't take care of, as was the case with my P40, but every now and again it's something that will require a trip back to the factory.  My P32 has been flawless, it's never skipped a beat and it's my BUG or the only gun I carry when very deep concealment or very light clothing is worn.  My P11 has also been very reliable as has the P40 after the F&B.

My biggest concern with using the KT's as a main self defense weapon is their high incidence of parts failure, which seems mainly to occur with the guns where they're pushing the envelope on size vs. power, like the P40 and the P3AT.  Parts seem to be as small and lightweight as possible, which makes for a small and light weapon, but brings rise to the high incidence of parts failure that I see in KT's pistols vs. Glocks, Sigs, HK's, etc, etc.

Can you trust it?  Well, after proof firing to make sure it's reliable, and to me any gun has to be able to fire 100 rounds of self defense ammo with zero failures, and doing any work to see that it is reliable, then I'd trust it but probably wouldn't fire large amounts of ammo through it regularly.  Buy a second one of the same type for practice if you feel that lots of rounds through it are needed.  Sure, we'll get a lot of people saying "I've fired 10,000 rounds through my P11 with no failures", but if you look deeper you'll also see quite a number of people that have had triggers parts break, frame pins walk out, etc, etc.  For the most part these are minor problems and easily fixed, but not something you want to have happen during a fire fight.

I like the KT pistols, I own 3 and if they make a single stack 9mm I'll be one of the first to buy one.  But because of the parts failure issue I'll only carry them as BUG's or backups.  My main defensive pistol will still be one with a very proven track record of reliability and durability.  In my case this spells Glock, but I'd feel comfortably well armed with my Sig P220 or Browning High Power too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What can you tell me about the Keltec P-11? Go to ktog.org and ktrange.com for more info.  You might want to do a "fluff & buff" if needed.  Also, look at goldenloki.com.  
Can I count on it when I need it? I can count on the first round going boom.  After that, in my experience, reliabilty varies with the type of ammo I use.  Mine won't reliably feed 147 gr. ammo but is fairly reliable with 115 gr. ammo.  I ocassionally get premature slide lock back with the 115 grain stuff but I think that's because I'm not holding it firmly enough.  
Can it hit anything more then 12 feet away? 12 feet?  Absolutely.  It's not a target pistol but with practice you can learn to shoot fairly accurately despite the trigger pull.  I've gotten better with mine as I practice (I used to shoot patterns, not groups) but I'm much more accurate with my other pistols.  
Can I fix the trigger? (it is 9.5 pounds!) If you have the newer hammer spring (look at ktog to find out what serial number range has the lighter spring), I think the consensus is that you can't lighten the trigger pull but it might get a little smoother with use.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Good post by 3rdpig, above.....

I bought an early one, trigger was just shy of 16#s, gave it to dad as god gave him "paws" instead of hands and he liked it. (did run 200 rounds thru it with no problem;; other than finger cramps )

Years later guys here told me they would fix the trigger to a lighter pull weight so I sent it back for my dad. Sure 'nuff came back w/ approx 8# trigger pull.

The trigger broke around 100 rounds later, pistol was usless.

Returned it to them again, they replace the entire lower portion of the pistol. Trigger is around 9# now and has not given any more problems (with around 200 rounds thru it since it's return).

They got great customer service as noted, but I for one would NOT want my life hanging on it's questionable reliability.

YMMV,
Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top