Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:07:05 AM EDT
I am trying to simplify my business phone system, and I am getting a bit overwhelmed.

I have a toll-free number with Sprint that I want to forward to a few Vonage lines.

My question is this:

The Vonage routers allow for two land lines to plug in.  If I have three or four Vonage routers, can I plug them all into one router and that router into the DSL modem?  Or do I need additional DSL lines and modems for each VOIP router?

If that doesn't make sense, please post, and I will GLADLY answer any questions I can.  My phone bills are going thru the roof, and with multiple vendors, it's getting harder to manage.

Thanks

Roy
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the evening folks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a cable modem -> Linksys NAT router -> Sunrocket VOIP phone adapter.  I had a Packet 8 viedo phone over here a while back - just plugged it into my linksys, and both worked fine.

However - I dont know if multiple connections from the same IP to the same service provider (vonage) will work or not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about running multiple VoIP routers... but I do have Vonage, and tried to set it up like this:

Cable modem -> Linksys Router -> Vonage Router       keeping my computers on the first router.  The Vonage router did not like that, and I would not get a dialtone with that setup.   I had to ditch my old router and reconfigure my server, port forwarding and all that hoohah to make it work.  It's a great router that they provide, but yeah, you've only got two phone sockets.   I believe you could plug a splitter into one of those sockets if you needed to.

Otherwise, if you want to have multiple phones in other rooms, check out Uniden's cordless phone systems.  They will allow you to have up to 4 handsets on the same system, and I believe each of the handsets will actually act as a 'repeater' to extend the range of the whole system, if say, your base is on the other side of the house, and you have a handset between you and the base station.   Plus their phones have all the cool features (caller ID, voicemail indicator, name/phone number storage...).   I have a set with two handsets, and it works great.  I'm going to get another one or two handsets to expand it.  One for the bedroom and one for the garage.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The vonage router can be set up behind another router, you just have to play some config games.  The real fun is that the vonage router will QOS its service only if it's at the head of the network.  If you have it behind the router and someone starts hogging the net connection, your phone call turns to shit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
You can set up the routers in series, just be sure to connect the DSL to outgoing port. It should look like this:

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You can set up the routers in series, just be sure to connect the DSL to outgoing port. It should look like this:

www.pjrc.com/tech/mp3/simm/blk_diag_32.gif

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.pjrc.com/tech/mp3/simm/blk_diag_32.gif

Oh yes.... well said, and I completely agree.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]

It depends on the DSL up/down rate.  My vonage box on call averages about 60kbps peak.  

If you've got bidirectional bandwidth in sufficient multiples of 60k, (plus all of your internet browsing and downloads!) you should be OK.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes you can because VOIP is packet switched not circuit switched. In other words, the amount of calls your DSL can handle is directly limited to the bandwidth and the packet drops and jitter caused by it and the your routing/firewall equipment.  Closed-standard vendors like Vonage can put restrictions into their products (and they do), so you will need to ask Vonage.

Everyone should really be using vendors that use open systems and not Vonage, Skype, and most others. This is hard to do right now though.

Customers most call you. If your outbound bill is huge, you need to look at your detailed calling records to see if you have employees abusing your phone... i.e. making personal toll calls.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I sell this phone service for a living.  I don't know anyone that is happy with their voip that has more than two lines.  And I don't many that is happy with voip at all.  There are plenty of CLECs to choose from to get a good deal on POTS, prolly cheaper too unless you are doing telemarketing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#12]
www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk

www.asterisk.org

Asterisk, the open-source PBX

It is also sold as part of many different commercial packages.  It is fabulous.,  My current setup is thus:

PSTN line coming into Asterisk box
sellvoip.net trunk for outbound VoIP calls at 1.1c / minute pretty much anywhere in USA
Inbound tollfree 866 # from SellVoip.net
One IP telephone in my office.

Will soon add a WiFi Voip Telephone and get some ATAs for existing home telephones.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I sell this phone service for a living.  I don't know anyone that is happy with their voip that has more than two lines.  And I don't many that is happy with voip at all.  There are plenty of CLECs to choose from to get a good deal on POTS, prolly cheaper too unless you are doing telemarketing.

I use Vonage, but I only have one line and only make occasional calls.  A couple times, I have noticed connection 'weirdness' if my bittorrent client is running full steam... so I either throttle it or pause transfers, and then it works fine.  It's a good service, with lots of great extras for a good price.  I'm already paying for my high speed connection... why not use it more?  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Not sure if this would help but Vonage sells 800 numbers for $5/mo for the first 100 mins then 4.9 cents a minute thereafter.  They will forward to one of your existing main numbers.

FWIW I couldn't be happier with Vonage.  I love not getting raped for a simple line that has no features by the phone company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top