Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 9:13:35 AM EDT
Oh please some one help me speed this thing up.  Its a new Dell.  I guess it only has 256K RAM but it should work quicker than it is.  Some times it takes 2-3 MINUTES to do a task.  Its driving me nuts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
new with 256m?  what processor speed?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Brand new Dell Dimension? Uninstall the promotional crap that came with it.

The 256Mb ram has a lot to do with it, but it'll help a lot without all the advertisements loading on startup.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You must mean 256mb of RAM.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]
How?  I'm ready to shoot the fricken thing.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Lack of memory is the most obvious problem.  Get another 256MB, or go up to 1GB.  That's the place to start.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#6]
what OS is it running?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Lack of memory is the most obvious problem.  Get another 256MB, or go up to 1GB.  That's the place to start.

I don't have any way to fix it today.  I have a kid that does this that will be over GOD only knows when but in the mean time I need to speed this sucker up so I don't go crazy.  

*ETA* Windows XP
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#8]
run msconfig and get rid of the unneeded items at startup - likely there are lots of them.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How?  I'm ready to shoot the fricken thing.  

Click on START --> SETTINGS --> CONTROL PANEL --> Add/Remove Programs

This will bring up a list of all the programs installed on the machine.  Go down the list and click on "remove" or "uninstall" for the programs you don't want.  Then reboot.

You can also go into MSCONFIG and stop certain things from loading at startup, but that's a little more difficult.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#10]
all the new dells are slow.  IF you buy the bottom of the line system.

they put 5400rpm harddrive. ata 100 40-80gb harddrive

only install 256mb of ram when xp should have at least 512.  

install mcafee antivirus or norton.  which bogs down the system.

it probably only has a 90day warranty also.   So after 90 days if you have a problem.   you can't call for support or get it fixed from Dell.   your SOL

If i lived closer to you.   I would be glad to build a system for you.(that would run circles around Dells systems)      

trust me i know exactly how you feel.   These computers are brought to me everyday with the same complaint,  and more.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Dell = cheap crap.

why do people buy these crappy systems and then complain about them????

" My Bryco .380 keeps jamming on me"......

"My Jennings ain't real akurate"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Dell is not all crap.

You just have to spend money to get something good.

Yes you need more RAM.

Get rid all the preloaded shit Dell puts on their computers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't buy the darn thing.  A client of mine owed me money and gave me this in exchange.  I didn't ask for it.  I plan on giving it to my kid as soon as my computer is back.  I sent it to be cleaned up and more RAM installed.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Just keep in mind how far we've come....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want to buy a PC desktop (of ANY brand), find an ad for one you like, then find a geek and bribe them to go find out how much the PC you are thinking of buying is REALLY worth--what it could cost for comparable parts.

A friend bought a Dell some months back that was "reduced" from $2800 to $2300, and the parts included would only cost about $1800 to build yourself.
~
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oh please some one help me speed this thing up.  Its a new Dell.  I guess it only has 256K RAM but it should work quicker than it is.  Some times it takes 2-3 MINUTES to do a task.  Its driving me nuts.

new.? with 256 megs? thats a TINY amount of mem.. get at least 1 gig... didna know you could buy a puter with that little amount of mem...

also, if its really slow, sound like you make have viruses, spyware gobbling up the thing or somehting running in a loop, check processes and see which is running high percentage of cpu..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/computer.jpg

I owned(well, my parents) one of those!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much just echoing what everybody has said. You will notice a significant performance increase if you install more RAM. If you don't know what type it takes, you can go to www.crucial.com/ and go through the menus of identifying the Dell model number. Then you can take the memory specs and start shopping places like newegg for better deals.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Okay on the System Configuration I couldn't find what programs I must have.  I went to the link but I couldn't find any of the files shown as needed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#20]
You should start out with more memory.  256MB is the BARE MINIMUM I would ever use in a machine running XP.  

I take it it was running XP when you got it from your client?  I'd seriously NUKE and PAVE it.  Format and reinstall.  Chances are, there is a ton of CRAP installed on it, be it stupid little programs they wanted, or spyware/malware/adware.  

People nowadays really don't know jack about maintaining computers and keeping them running well.   It requires preventative maintenance, just like a car.  You can't just turn it on and go forever and expect it to run perfectly.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

new.? with 256 megs? thats a TINY amount of mem.. get at least 1 gig... didna know you could buy a puter with that little amount of mem...

also, if its really slow, sound like you make have viruses, spyware gobbling up the thing or somehting running in a loop, check processes and see which is running high percentage of cpu..

No, I run virus protection 24/7.  I just finished running CCleaner and yes it did remove some junk but nothing major.  No sig. difference.  This isn't a computer I plan on using long term but I do have to make it work for a week or so.  I do plan on upgrading its memory in a week or so.  Right now I have to make do.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/oldharddrive.jpg

lol i had a tandy, bought at the flea market for $10. That POS cant even play wolfenstien
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#23]
my suggestion, wipe the drive, reinstall and only install thoes progs you want.  also, get another 256 stick of RAM
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#24]
pattymcn: I would also run the defrag program to "line up all of the files" on your hard disk, this could speed up this things a little, because if your files are fragmented, the HD has to move the access arm all over the place to get at all of the pieces during start up time.  Access arm movement in your hard disk is probably one of the slowest in the computer, even in huge modern mainframes.  The defraging of the hard disk can take hours if your files are scattered all over the place and you have a moderate size hard disk.  I would also delete any unwanted files and anything in your internet browser caches before you start to speed things along.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Stop giving Patty brief/incomplete instructions on how to do things.  I worked in IT for a corportation for some time and, quite frankly, the average person can't do most of what you are suggesting even when accompanied by pictoral instructions.

IT guys are not Gods or geniuses... we're just poor bastards that do this crap day in and day out.

Patty, you need to have someone who knows 'puters sit down and take a looksy.  For starters, some more RAM will make all the difference.  The advice from other posters is good... but incomplete.

This "kid" that is coming over should be able to do most of the things above.  If you have him order/install RAM, I hope he knows what he's doing.  

- BG

EDIT:  I can confirm that you can indeed set RAM and motherboards themselves on fire when incorrectly installed.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I will update the RAM when I get my computer back.  I just need to farmerize this so it works for a week.  I will defrag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Task Manager is your friend. It lets you see what's eating up your CPU cycles and what is pushing your memory into swap space.

Stay away from multiple browser windows or tabbed browsing or anything like that with only 256MB.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Dell is not all crap.

You just have to spend money to get something good.

Yes you need more RAM.

Get rid all the preloaded shit Dell puts on their computers.

Unless you buy the XPS series for $2000, they suck.
Otherwise, she'd be a happy camper right now.

Not picking on you Patty.

oh yeah- is "new" new to you?? or "new" as in just built at the factory???

do a 'control - alt -  delete' (hold down those 3 keys) to access task manager.

Look in the lower left hand corner of the task manager box and tell us how many process are running.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#29]
There's about 30 things running.  FOR THE RECORD - I wouldn't have bought this computer.  IT was either take this or get nothing.  I plan to give it to my kid to do home work on.  My computer works fine - I had it built and probably paid a 1/4 of what my clients paid for this.  I wanted some work done on my computer [cleaned throughly, the CD ROM replaced] so I'm stuck with this until I get mine back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Slow isn't slow unless you've had to load anything from cassette tape media on a "home computer".

Come back in 45 minutes and you might be loaded if the tape didn't get screwed up.

And really slow is punchcards... LOL.

Don't get me started on slow modem connections.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

it'll help a lot without all the advertisements loading on startup.

That's no shit.  We bought a few for the office and ended up having to reformat them all and reinstall everything.  All the Dell crap bogged it down.  Without it they run fine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I owned(well, my parents) one of those!

The guy who sold my parents our first computer talked he into the 20Mb hard drive.  "That's more space than you'll ever need."

Oh, and they sprang for the 16-color monitor, upgrading from the monchrome green or orange.  That was sweeeeeeeeeet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top