Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 9:08:16 AM EDT
Anyone know?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I think 8"x10"x8' or 10' bought 25, last week, and they came in 8' and 10' approx weight for 8' was 200lbs. worked my ass off. i used them to line the bottom of my backyard fence, to keep the dogs in, so exact size wasn't an issue, but that is real close.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think 8"x10"x8' or 10' bought 25, last week, and they came in 8' and 10' approx weight for 8' was 200lbs. worked my ass off. i used them to line the bottom of my backyard fence, to keep the dogs in, so exact size wasn't an issue, but that is real close.

That sounds about right. You can also find railroad switch ties, they are about the same dimensions around but are right at 16' long. They are a bitch to move around.

If you are working off of a flat surface, one way I found to make it easier on yourself is to get several pieces of rebar and place the tie on it and you can roll it where you want it. But, it is has to be a flat surface like a driveway. FYI.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one in my backyard right now that was 4x6 by 4 ft long. (SP narrowgauge)

Most are 8x10, but older ones for lighter rail might be a little smaller and newer for heavier rail are larger.  Switch ties get longer and bridge ties are often 12x10.

Made a 30" retaining wall out of bridge ties once.  (Just once is more than enough)  Found a bunch of rocks trying to dig the holes about 3 feet deep for the verticals, dug out behind them enough to stack ties behind the verticals and then went back and filled and tamped behind them.  Convinced me that I never wanted to do time at hard labor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
big X heavy X dirty  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
7" x 9" x 102"  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]
8x10x8' long  sounds about right.  Any longer than that and they would be awfull hard to handle.  Them suckers are HEAVY.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Tracks cut to 6" make great mini anvils
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#9]
So far so good, on keeping the dogs in. If you have Labs, or most any dog, you know they will find a way out of a fence. I've tried electric fences, above and below ground, and sooner or later they figure out how to get past them, But they haven't been able to move, or go under the crossties.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:56:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone know?

Oh, about like so, by about this, by...oh...about yea.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top