Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 8:34:28 AM EDT
For those that don't know, if you are tired of getting credit card offers or other credit offer type notices you can call 1-888-567-8688 and have your name put on the opt-out list.  Your name only stays on the list for 5 years at which point you have to call and add your name back.  I just got done adding my name back on the list.  It was all automated and took maybe 2 minutes.  I've been getting 2 to 3 credit offers per day in the mail and finally got tired of it.

Here is more information on it.  www.pirg.org/consumer/credit/Bureaus.htm
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
(Not attempting a thread hijack)

Another useful piece of info:

Residents of 10 states can freeze their credit reports in order to prevent identity theft and people using and screwing up your credit:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20030613c2.asp
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag. Thank you both.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Residents of 10 states can freeze their credit reports in order to prevent identity theft and people using and screwing up your credit:

Bump to that.  Each credit reporting agency can put a "fraud alert" on your report, which means that you must be contacted by phone to verify info before any line of credit is opened up in your name.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Add North Carolina to that list
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For those that don't know, if you are tired of getting credit card offers or other credit offer type notices you can call 1-888-567-8688 and have your name put on the opt-out list.  Your name only stays on the list for 5 years at which point you have to call and add your name back.  I just got done adding my name back on the list.  It was all automated and took maybe 2 minutes.  I've been getting 2 to 3 credit offers per day in the mail and finally got tired of it.

Here is more information on it.  www.pirg.org/consumer/credit/Bureaus.htm

I did the Opt-Out, but I'd like to add that I received a letter confirming my desire to opt-out, that stated if I wanted to be removed forever (I chose to do so), I had to sign the form and mail it back in.  Food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump to that.  Each credit reporting agency can put a "fraud alert" on your report, which means that you must be contacted by phone to verify info before any line of credit is opened up in your name.  

And that "red flag" means, forget about getting any instant credit.
Also, it's detrimental to your report in general.
Try creditboards.com for more info

Opt-out is a very good idea. Red flagging your credit history is definitely not. And FYI, anyone can put a fraud alert on their report, not just those in ten states.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that "red flag" means, forget about getting any instant credit.
Also, it's detrimental to your report in general.
Try creditboards.com for more info

Opt-out is a very good idea. Red flagging your credit history is definitely not. And FYI, anyone can put a fraud alert on their report, not just those in ten states.

The freeze is different from a 'fraud alert':

Anyone can ask the three major credit reporting agencies to place a fraud alert on their credit reports. Fraud alerts are supposed to alert you when someone applies for credit in your name and signals creditors to contact you for permission to issue credit in your name. Residents of any state can put a fraud alert on their reports. Creditors, however, aren't required to abide by or even check the alert.

A credit freeze goes a step further. With a credit freeze, no one can open any form of credit in your name. Your credit file is off limits to potential lenders, insurers and even potential employers.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag.

ARFCOM is truly a wealth of knowledge.

(and tragic boating accidents for some reason)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top