Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 8:00:34 AM EDT
I'm interested in putting a gun safe upstairs in a new house. Wood structure and wood frame. Looking at something around 1100 lbs. Has anybody done this? Professional movers said they would do it, but didn't know if the second story, let alone the stairs could handle it. Anybody have any experience with it? Per square inch, it should be lighter than a water bed with two people in it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If you do that, and you have a house fire, it will fall thru the floor. Hell, it might anyway without a fire... Keep it downstairs and bolt it to the floor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Check with your home builder. They should be able to give you an idea what the second floor weight limits would be. I know people who put 125+ gallon fish tanks on the second floor with no problem.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Just moved my gunsafe downstairs 2 weeks ago. It is a 380lb model. nothing major other than the fact that the strap broke and the safe dropped square onto my foot from a 3' height. Got me good. Limped for 2 days still feel sore as hell. I could move all my toes at the time so I didnt go for x-rays.
That will be the last time its ever moved, So i cant imagine what moving an 1100lb safe would be like.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is in my bedroom closet on the second floor and I'm looking to add a second one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just moved my gunsafe downstairs 2 weeks ago. It is a 380lb model. nothing major other than the fact that the strap broke and the safe dropped square onto my foot from a 3' height. Got me good. Limped for 2 days still feel sore as hell. I could move all my toes at the time so I didnt go for x-rays.
That will be the last time its ever moved, So i cant imagine what moving an 1100lb safe would be like.  

You're lucky mag...

I guess that goes without saying.  I dropped a GBU15 bomb strake on my big toe when I was a bomb loader.  Spilt that son-of-a bioooootch right down the front.  Hurt like hell too.  The doc said I was luck that it didn't hit bone.

~Dg84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top