Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 7:08:06 AM EDT
Kind of interesting, ironic name at the least

link

August 19, 2005 Artist Michael Rakowitz feels strongly about the issue of homelessness. So strongly that when he focussed his creative attentions on the subject he began manifesting practical outcomes, specifically the ParaSITE. The parasite is a is a small, collapsible, double-membrane shelter that uses the escaping warm air from a building’s HVAC system to inflate and warm the temporary home. Rakowitz has now been nominated for a prestigious Index Award for the paraSITE and his work is far from finished. We invited Michael to explain the project.

The issue of homelessness is of global proportions and it is foolish to think that any one proposition will address all the issues associated with this problem. There are many different types of homeless people. The mentally ill, the chemically dependent, those who are unable to afford housing, men, women, families, even those who prefer this way of life are included among the vast cross section of homeless people in every urban instance. Each group of homeless has subjective needs based on circumstance and location. My project does not make reference to handbooks of statistics. Nor should this intervention be associated with the various municipal attempts at solving the homeless issue. This is a project that was shaped by my interaction as a citizen and artist with those who live on the streets.

PARASITISM IS DESCRIBED AS A RELATIONSHIP IN WHICH A PARASITE TEMPORARILY OR PERMANENTLY EXPLOITS THE ENERGY OF A HOST

paraSITE proposes the appropriation of the exterior ventilation systems on existing architecture as a means for providing temporary shelter for homeless people.

PARASITES LIVE ON THE OUTER SURFACE OF A HOST OR INSIDE ITS BODY IN RESPIRATORY ORGANS, DIGESTIVE ORGANS, VENOUS SYSTEMS, AS WELL AS OTHER ORGANS AND TISSUES

The paraSITE units in their idle state exist as small, collapsible packages with handles for transport by hand or on one's back. In employing this device, the user must locate the outtake ducts of a building's HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) system.

...continued
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Blocking the HVAC outlet hampers the system and can cause fires.

If the homeless don't have a home, what gives them the right to hook up to somebody's home, apartment, office or shop?

And yes, it's the perfect name.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Blocking the HVAC outlet hampers the system and can cause fires.

If the homeless don't have a home, what gives them the right to hook up to somebody's home, apartment, office or shop?

And yes, it's the perfect name.

I was about to point out that it would mess up the performance. As long as they are ruining the A/C unit, they might as well let them pee on the refrigerent lines so the acids in their urine can eat through those and release freon into the atmosphere.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhapes I am just used to home units, and industrial work different.
Why would you want heat in your little shelter if it is hot enough for me to put on the a/c in my building?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
How do the homeless afford to purchase one of these? Is this asshat manufacturing them for free distribution, or did he just create a 'politically correct' gadget to compete for the prestigious Index Award?

Sounds like an Index Award is a bunch of feelgood gobbledygook.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The unit cycles.

Does it defalte when the unit isn't running?

It is pretty stupid idea if you ask me.
So that jackass will probably get rich selling them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what happens when artists mistake themselves for engineers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Pull the plug on it and watch the fun as the oppressed homeless person struggles to get out
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess the owners of the HVAC systems that these things damage can sue the manufacturer for compensation, right?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple of CS capsules could turn that thing into a mini gas chamber.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Do they come in MARPAT?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#12]
They can hook it up to the tailpipe of my truck.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The unit cycles.

Does it defalte when the unit isn't running?

It is pretty stupid idea if you ask me.
So that jackass will probably get rich selling them.

he won't really sell them to the homeless.

Some bleeding heart liberal or liberal group will give him a boatload of money, and they'll hand them out to the homes...and in 24 hours they will all be sold for either crack or booze.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a link that works.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell, if the blower motor burns up that thing would turn into a death chamber..  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top