Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:08:02 PM EDT
I've decided to go with DirecTV. That said, I need some help choosing a reciever and dish. I have a few questions/comments:

1. I need a DVR (I already have a standalone Tivo, but having the same thing integrated would be nice).
2. Alot of folks seem to make DirecTV DVRs. Any recommendations?
3. Will I lose any features by eliminating my standalone Tivo?
4. I'll worry about the HD stuff later. I'm not buying a new TV any time soon.

Let's hear it guys! Is this a difficult decision, or do I just buy whatever?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use what the DirecTV installer brings, even the DVR.   Never really looked at the recievers in store at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just use what the DirecTV installer brings, even the DVR.   Never really looked at the recievers in store at all.

Well, I figured I'd install it myself because I'm like that anymore. I have had the WORST luck with installers/tech support/busineses in general for a few months. They're out to get me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit , that's crazy, mine post was first  !!!
That is real crazy .

Good luck with your problem !!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I figured I'd install it myself because I'm like that anymore. I have had the WORST luck with installers/tech support/busineses in general for a few months. They're out to get me.

I think I saw that the member Troy installs for DirecTV, have him do it for you
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've decided to go with DirecTV. That said, I need some help choosing a reciever and dish. I have a few questions/comments:

1. I need a DVR (I already have a standalone Tivo, but having the same thing integrated would be nice).
2. Alot of folks seem to make DirecTV DVRs. Any recommendations?
3. Will I lose any features by eliminating my standalone Tivo?
4. I'll worry about the HD stuff later. I'm not buying a new TV any time soon.

Let's hear it guys! Is this a difficult decision, or do I just buy whatever?

A couple things ... Since you are already using (and probably used to, and madly in love with) Tivo, you're probably going to want "Real" Tivo. The box that DirecTV markets as "Directv with built in DVR", is their version of Tivo, and I've heard that some die-hard Tivo people aren't as crazy about it ... It still does the same thing but lacks things like thumbs up/thumbs down, automatic sugggestions, and other things that make Tivo worthwile. I know Samsung makes an integrated 120GB Tivo receiver, that might be your best bet.

As far as I know Dish brand doesn't make a lick of difference, just get whatever.

VVVVVV   THIS PART IS IMPORTANT IF YOU"RE GOING TO RUN A DVR    VVVVVV
One thing you will want to also pick up though is a Digital Multiswitch. The feeds from the dish run into the Switch, and you then run TWO lines from the switch to your DVR/Tivo unit. This will allow you to record one channel while watching the other. Satellite works a little different than cable, you can't just split the cable and get another feed. It has to go through the digital switch. This was something they didn't tell me (nor did the installer bother to mention) when I got mine put in. It's extremely annoying if you don't do this because the Tivo will always be tying to switch to other stuff while you're watching.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can answer any question you might have.  Here's some basic info:

In the past, multiple vendors made DirecTV receivers, but DirecTV has, over the last 18 months, terminated those licenses, and now all new DirecTV equipment is "DirecTV brand".  This is because DirecTV is switching NEW CUSTOMER contracts from an equipment ownership business model to an equipment lease business model starting on 3/1/2006.  Customers who activate on or after that date will be leasing their DTV receivers, just like DishNetwork has been doing for a long time and cable has been doing forever.  This is good and bad: good because you no longer have to pay for a protection plan to cover a receiver that dies; that's included in the lease.  Bad, because you can no longer get out of your programming commitment without paying a pro-rated cancellation fee by returning your receivers.  Existing customers who own their equipment, or people who buy their own equipment anyway, will see no change to their current agreements.

-Troy

Odd. I have been paying an extra $1.00/month for the TiVo thing. wouldn't  that be considered a lease?. And I have been a Directv customer for years. We just got something in the mail the other day that they are going up another $1.00.

I still prefer Dtv over the fucking cable thieves
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top