Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 9:07:50 PM EDT
Hey guys , I'm giving up on cable . My wife and I are looking  DISH NETWORK and DIRECT TV .
I would like to know what is better .

THANK YOU GUYS !!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, that's too weird. I JUST started a DirecTV thread.

Tagged anyway.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
We have Dish because DirectTV didn't offer the local network channels and Dish did.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive had both.. I like dish better.... To me its easier and smoother interface (guide)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Dish
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Did Dish ever get OLN back?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
First, get dish.

Second, your timing is perfect, the new MPEG4 HD-DVR, model number 622, was just released this week.

Don't settle for anything less, all the HD will be mpeg4 by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:27:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a HDTV , I spend ALL my money on guns, mags and ammo.

Thanks ...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
got Dish- like it - way better interface than direct tv
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I had Direct and switched to Dish and like Dish much better.  Some things to keep in mind though is that Direct uses one satallite siganl and Dish uses 2 to get you all your channels.  If you have alot of obstructions i.e. trees houses, buildings you may have trouble getting both Dish signals.  A buddy of mine ordered Dish but it couldn't be installed unless he took down a few trees due to one signal being blocked.  He has Direct with no problems
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys !!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]
DirecTV. I like the interface better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had both.  I currently have direct and I'm waiting for my contract to run out so I can go back to dish network.  I think Dish is more user friendly and has better customer service. ymmv
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We have Dish because DirectTV didn't offer the local network channels and Dish did.

And Dish has a hell of a network to provide you your local channels.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I have Dish and have been happy with their systems and service.  I've been with Dish since 1996.  One brother has Dish and one sister has DirecTV.  Both systems are pretty good.

I'll be calling Dish this weekend to see about the new HD receivers.  The newer HD channels that came on line of the 1st are only available with the new receivers.

If you want to watch all NFL football games, you'll need to go with DirecTV.  DirecTV has more customers than Dish.  Dish has more HD channels.  Both provide a DVR, although I don't know enough about either to make a recommendation.

In regards to OLN.  It is available on Dish.  It's on Dish Top180.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Dish has a hell of a network to provide you your local channels.

DirecTV is offering local channels in a lot more markets. Check their website to see if it's available.
I actually like my eastcoast feed of the networks. The local networks in my area have shit programming.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ive had both.. I like dish better.... To me its easier and smoother interface (guide)

+1

Had both as well.

DISH…

Cheaper programming, better interface, and better customer service
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#18]
a few years ago Dish's parent bought out Hughes, the parent of Direct TV. So I guess they are now step-brothers?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I live in new orleans and Cox cable company went out during the hurrican and didn't come back on line till about 10/20/05.  I got a bill in november and paid what I owed.  Then I get a bill in December for $114.00 and called and was told it was for December and January because they bill a month in advance, but it was an error and I only owned $68.00 and I send in a check.  In January I get a bill for $95.00 and $46.00 for that for  a past due amount.  I'm thinking WTF and call then January 31, 2006 and it could not be explained and then requested the service to be disconnected.  The refused to disconnect because they said I was $46.00 behind on my bill.  So I ask if I never paid would they just let the cable run and the amount add up every month?  The said it would be disconnected some time in the future for none payment.  I asked for every supervisor in the departement, but they still refused to disonnect until they received payment.  Was told I could give my credit card number , but  I refused to trust them with any of  that kind of info.  So yesterday I got to the customer service center with a check in hand, they will not take cash,  and inisisted my cable be disconnected and Cox cable out of my life for the rest of my life.  Cable will never get another dime from me.  I'll now look into Dish Network.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Did Dish ever get OLN back?

No, And I'm still pissed about that!! I told wife we would only get Direct if we would be able to get OLN. She calls them and confirms that we will be getting OLN. They install on an evening I was at work. I get home, and try to watch OLN the next day. No OLN. It was taken off the program lineup the day after we had our system installed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I like my DirecTv. I won't say it's better, I have been very pleased with it, but never experienced the alternative (Dish).

I say you really can't go wrong with either. My main reason for having dish is independency. When Hurricane Wilma blew threw, weeks after when people didn't have cable or power. I plugged my tv and dish receiver into the generator, and suddenly I had friends!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had Dish for ~10 years, no complaints but I wish they had more HiDef channels before I commit to a new reciever.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Where are you guys that you can't get locals with DirecTV?  AFAIK, locals have been available everywhere for several years.

-Troy

I live in Nevada, 30 miles east of Reno. 2 years ago when we moved here DirectTV  did not offer the Reno local channels, but Dish did. Now both of them have the local channels.  Also, 2 years ago, DirectTV service was not available straight from DirectTV in areas considered to be rural. You had to get it from some subsidiary or franchisee of DirectTV, and pay a couple of bucks extra as a franchise surcharge or something. I can't remember the name of the franchisee (there was only one, I believe, for the purpose of getting DirectTV in rural areas). I believe that now DirectTV serves all areas now without the middleman.

There are mountains between here and Reno, so there is zero signal from the local stations to an antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top