Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 4:49:00 PM EDT
from:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060202/od_nm/britain_speeding_dc;_ylt=All.nsr_EMPleXlVNiKZXvqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

LONDON (Reuters) - A British traffic officer caught driving at 159 mph but cleared by a court of speeding and dangerous driving faces a legal move at the High Court in London Wednesday to convict him.

The Attorney General will appeal against the acquittal of constable Mark Milton and seek a High Court order that the advanced police driver should be convicted over his high speed blast in the early hours of December 5, 2003.

Milton, a qualified advanced driver, was recorded by an onboard camera in his upgraded unmarked Vauxhall Vectra police car traveling at 91 mph in a 30 mph zone and hitting 159 mph on the M54 motorway. The legal limit in Britain is 70 mph.

Milton's defense, accepted by the local judge in May 2005, was that he had taken the car on a test run around Telford, Shropshire, where he was based.

The judge said the prosecution had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he had driven dangerously and that the car was being "used for police purposes" when the incident occurred.

The ruling prompted outrage in the media and condemnation from motoring groups.

Wednesday, lawyers for the Attorney General will argue the district judge erred in law when he made his judgment.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bloody Limey Bastard!

'at's what I say, mate!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't happen here. The Crown Vic/ Interceptors catch on fire at 120.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
159 . . . that's at least 10 mph over my personal land speed record.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He didn't shoot somebody by mistake or crush some girls skull.
f'n a, I'd say quality is on the upswing!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He didn't shoot somebody by mistake or crush some girls skull.
f'n a, I'd say quality is on the upswing!

wHAT HE SAID...DAMN CAPS LOCK
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Good Christ, a Vectra doing 160mph? I didn't think it could go that fast.

Granted, mine is limited, but my S-4 tops out at 155, and that's designed to go fast. I'm trying to think what the equivalent is to a Vectra in the US. Chevy Malibu maybe? (Vectra is a GM product)

I wonder what a 'qualified advanced driver' is? Sounds like someone who's had driver's training more than the average constable would get.

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top