Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 3:21:28 PM EDT
I currently have no problems with the IRS, always file every year and my credit rating is 799, 799 and 798 with zero debt, but my girlfriend hasn't filed in over 2 years and credit rating is average like upper 600's, can I assume her debt would impact my credit rating if we do get married?

Can/should we file seperately and have seperate bank accounts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I currently have no problems with the IRS, always file every year and my credit rating is 799, 799 and 798 with zero debt, but my girlfriend hasn't filed in over 2 years and credit rating is average like upper 600's, can I assume her debt would impact my credit rating if we do get married?

Can/should we file seperately and have seperate bank accounts?

Thanks!

My ex husband filed bankrupcy after we were seperated and my credit history sucked when I re- married.  We kept my name off of everything except one credit card that I used now and then and paid off immediately.  My credit is now [I have no idea why] better than my husbands.  

Most likely you will want to file jointly.  I have yet to do a tax [and I do quite a few] where it pays more to file seperately [unless she has children i.e. an earned income credit].  

Why hasn't she filed her taxes?  I would recommend having her take responsiblity and file an amended tax ASAP.  Is she going to owe a lot?  How much money does she make annually?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't she irresponsible for not filing?]
I hate to say this but people's credit rating does say a lot about their character.
Keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
the reason she hasn't filed is that she doesn't have the time and didn't want to deal with it and she makes very good money too. i hinted that if she doesn't we might never get married. so she has already contacted a cpa and attorney. she went through a messy divorce 5 years ago too, i told her that is no excuse either and i don't want to be burden with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the reason she hasn't filed is that she doesn't have the time and didn't want to deal with it and she makes very good money too.

Most people don't have much time and most people don't want to deal with it but most of us manage to file every year.  Like I said, you can learn a lot about a person's character by their behavior.

Okay, I be quiet and go sit in the corner now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the reason she hasn't filed is that she doesn't have the time and didn't want to deal with it and she makes very good money too.

Most people don't have much time and most people don't want to deal with it but most of us manage to file every year.  Like I said, you can learn a lot about a person's character by their behavior.

I agree with you 100%, it pains me since I am very well organized and responsible.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuckin A!
You should be beaten with a woofle ball bat for using TAXES and MARRIGE in one Title!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1...

"didn't want to deal with it" doesn't quite cut it...Keep your finances separate......real separate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top