Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 2:14:22 PM EDT
twobabesandabrain.typepad.com/two_babes_and_a_brain/2005/09/words_from_a_fa.html

His words were used in a speach by Pres Bush and printed in newspapers the other day. I found it moving to read the whole letter . This is an edited version .

Words from a Fallen Soldier

Marine Cpl. Jeff Starr was serving his third tour of duty in Iraq when he died of a wound to his heart.  Cpl. Starr believed in his mission and at the tender age of 22, was prepared to die....

On a computer returned to his parents was a letter to his love.  The girl he was planning to marry upon his return to the states in August.  I'll let the letter speak for itself...

"Dearest ----

I'm writing this for one reason only. On April 13th 2004, I thought I was going to die. My only regret is that I hadn't spent enough time with you. That I hadn't told you everything I wanted to. Being in Iraq for a 3rd time, I don't want to feel that way again because it was the worst feeling ever.

"So this letter is in case I won't ever get the chance to tell you," he wrote.

"I kind of predicted this, that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances.

"I don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom. It may seem confusing why we are in Iraq, it's not to me. I'm here helping these people, so that they can live the way we live. Not have to worry about tyrants or vicious dictators. To do what they want with their lives. To me that is why I died. Others have died for my freedom, now this is my mark.

"Well I can't type forever, I know you want to read more but I thought simple and to the point would be easier.

"I love you with all my heart.

"Goodbye my Love."...

I cant find a copy of the complete unedited version. Anyone point me to one ?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top