Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 10:30:17 AM EDT
Las Vegas Officer Killed In Shooting

Two Metro officers were shot at about 1:20 Wednesday afternoon. One of those officers is dead. Metro Police say an officer was going to the house in the southwest near Durango and Russell for a domestic call.

When he got there, he was confronted with a gun-toting unruly man, 22 year old Amir Crump, better known in Las Vegas by his nickname Trajik, the name he's been using as an aspiring rap musician. The officer called for back up and that's when an off duty officer in the area came to the house.

According to police, the suspect shot the first officer, killing him. That officer was 37 year old Sergeant Henry Prendis. The off duty officer shot and killed the suspect.

The off duty officer was also shot. He's being treated for non life-threatening injuries at UMC. His name has not yet been released

The last time a Metro officer was killed in the line of duty was in 1988. Officer Marc Kahre was on patrol when he spotted a shooting suspect in a car. As Kahre waited for backup on his motorcycle, the suspect jumped out of his car and shot Kahre.

The suspect was involved in a traffice stop later, and that's where he shot himself in the head.

Kahre joined the Metro Police Department as a cadet in 1973 and became an officer in 1975. He was 34 years old and was married with two children.

The shooting that killed Sergeant Prendis stemmed from a domestic disturbance call. In October, a report from the violence policy center found Nevada is number two in the nation when it comes to deadly acts of domestic violence; Alaska is ranked number one.

That same report found that five percent of the time, the violence in domestic disturbances was started by a husband or boyfriend of the victim.

Metro officers respond to dozens of domestic abuse calls everyday, It can be dangerous because officers are often confronting violent suspects and trying to bring their emotions under control. Clark County holds over 70 percent of the state's population; it also holds a majority of the state's domestic abuse calls. Unfortunately, Wednesday's call turned deadly.

"Is there something that these officers could have done different? No, there's not. This is a tragic ending to a routine call," said Andrea Sundberg of Safe House, a non-profit organization that provides assistance for victims of domestic violence.

Sundberg says this type of violence is prevalent in Clark County. Police officers responded to over 21,000 domestic violence calls in 2004; Metro officers responded to more than 19,000 of those calls. Sundberg says that number placed Clark County number one on the list of domestic violence calls in the state.

Police say Crump fired at least 50 rounds from what they believe was a semi-automatic assault rifle. As long as a gun is not fully automatic, it can be purchased and owned legally in Nevada. There is no Nevada law that bans assault rifles or rapid fire ammunition magazines. In Clark County, only handguns have to be registered.

The Federal Assault Rifle Ban began in 1994, but Congress let the ban expire in 2004. Even when the law was in effect, gun makers were able to get around it by making small modifications to assault style weapons.

According to the Violence Policy Center, Nevada was part of a three state region dubbed "The Uzi Triangle" with the largest number of copycat assault weapon manufacturers. Ten companies in Nevada, Arizona and Utah marketed modified Uzi's, AK-47's and other assault weapons despite the ban.

Many law enforcement agencies wanted the 1994 Federal Assault Weapon Ban renewed because of the danger the guns posed to police officers. Between 1998 and 2001, one in five officers killed in the line of duty were killed with an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Assraping gangster?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
A rapper who was a criminal thug. What are the odds?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A rapper who was a criminal thug. What are the odds?

Over 60%
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad the second officer was able to keep his wits and off that fucker.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
i wonder how long i'll be able to keep my beautiful ARs
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
rapd fire ammunition magazine?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm glad the second officer was able to keep his wits and off that fucker.  

Now they can sing and walk in the streets with candles to remember the "fucker".

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think that's one of those mags where the feed lips are bent out too far, and the spring just pushes all the ammo out the top of the mag.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm proud to live in the "uzi triangle".
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#10]
When keeping it real goes wrong.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah...you don't have any for your ARs?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Is calling him an aspiring rapper the pc way of saying he's black now?

ETA: WTF is the 'Uzi triangle?' Ive never heard of that, and enough with the "they were able to evade the law bullshit" They didnt evade anything, they conformed to it. With 70% of the population, and being in the Uzi triangle, and 1988 was the last time an officer was killing I'd say thats pretty damn good. Almost 20 years without losing a single guy.

This almost pissed me off as much as my g/f's comment the other night during the State of the Union when i was talking about Alito and hopefully re-legalizing machine guns. She got all pissy and yelled at me for my "semi-automatic-machine-guns" and why anybody needs guns. Is it rational for me to spend 300 bucks on an AK? Just to shoot at the range? I shut her up in one line..."Have you ever shot a gun?"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Can I get a w00t for being lucky enough to live within the Uzi Triangle?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Can I get a w00t for being lucky enough to live within the Uzi Triangle?

w00t!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]

an aspiring rap musician.

Probably in town less than 48 hours.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I want to live in the UZI triangle, it must be very popular.  Look at what the populations of NV and AZ have done the last 10-years. Not to mention all the illegals trying to get in there, see every body wants a UZI.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When keeping it real goes wrong.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]

"The Uzi Triangle"

ahhhh, so that's where I can get that elusive "Buckmaster sniper rifle that's capable of shooting down helicopters". (Ted Kennedy, '04)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#20]
"at least 50 rounds fired"

beta mag??

or overzealous reporter
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is calling him an aspiring rapper the pc way of saying he's black now?

ETA: WTF is the 'Uzi triangle?' Ive never heard of that, and enough with the "they were able to evade the law bullshit" They didnt evade anything, they conformed to it. With 70% of the population, and being in the Uzi triangle, and 1988 was the last time an officer was killing I'd say thats pretty damn good. Almost 20 years without losing a single guy.

This almost pissed me off as much as my g/f's comment the other night during the State of the Union when i was talking about Alito and hopefully re-legalizing machine guns. She got all pissy and yelled at me for my "semi-automatic-machine-guns" and why anybody needs guns. Is it rational for me to spend 300 bucks on an AK? Just to shoot at the range? I shut her up in one line..."Have you ever shot a gun?"

I hope you aren't going long term with her!!  No piece of ass is worth putting up with that shit.  Consider yourself lucky, she just proved she is a brainless sheep with a mental disorder, who cannot comprehend facts and logic.......what you do with that knowledge is up to you!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotta get dat street cred, yo?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#23]
And on topic........if "Amir" had survived, I think we would all be calling for him to FRY.  Words cannot describe what a lowlife POS the guy obviously was.  It sucks that he took an innocent person's life and I hope he is burning in hell.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Gotta get dat street cred, yo?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Aspiring rapper = ghetto thug
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't MTV have a show about this guy not too long ago?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Was this fine upstanding musician "capped"?  I missed his fate?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#28]
He fired 50 rounds and still got capped.  So much for the usefulness of large capacity mags and “high powered” assault rifle.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Ah, what a "Trajik" ending.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This almost pissed me off as much as my ex-g/f's comment the other night during the State of the Union when i was talking about Alito and hopefully re-legalizing machine guns. She got all pissy and yelled at me for my "semi-automatic-machine-guns" and why anybody needs guns. Is it rational for me to spend 300 bucks on an AK? Just to shoot at the range? I shut her up in one line..."Have you ever shot a gun?"

Fixed it for you...I hope!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Aspiring rapper = ghetto thug

Aspiring rapper that shoots cop = piece of shit

I like my math better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Every black guy I know is an aspiring rapper.  All the guys that work for me are anyway.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Got a link?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This almost pissed me off as much as my ex-g/f's comment the other night during the State of the Union when i was talking about Alito and hopefully re-legalizing machine guns. She got all pissy and yelled at me for my "semi-automatic-machine-guns" and why anybody needs guns. Is it rational for me to spend 300 bucks on an AK? Just to shoot at the range? I shut her up in one line..."Have you ever shot a gun?"

Fixed it for you...I hope!

lol. Why cant they tell you before you start dating they're a hardcore liberal?

Pros:
1.Red head
2.Likes alot of sex
3. Makes me dinner

Cons:
1. Likes Ted Kennedy
2. Has Life magazine from the 70's on her living room coffee table...with Ted kennedy on the cover
3. Thinks guns are cool, but doesnt think people should have them.
4. Wants to move in  together next semester
5. Likes Jimmy Carter
6. She's a junior in college, i'm a freshman. She talks about marriage, and its freaking me the fuck out.
7. She's putting on weight and wont go to the gym with me when I ask if she wants to. ETA: Not too much though, she's still like 130, i just dont want people thinking im dating a fatty
8. She wants me to spend lots of $ on her, when it could be going toward my gun fund.

Well, im glad im in macro-economics this semester, i think i just calculated my marginal cost with my marginal benefit

I hope to god she never sees this, i'll be a deadman if she does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top