Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 7:33:57 AM EDT
Kind of pricey.

Here is the cold link to the video:  http://www.protectthehuman.com/teleshop/guns/

AK47 'Ad' Pushes Gun Control Movie Ad Part of Wider Campaign Against Guns
By LAURA WESTMACOTT

LONDON Jan. 26, 2006 — British moviegoers will be shown a spoof TV-shopping advertisement for an AK47 assault rifle as part of a shock campaign designed to increase awareness of the illegal arms trade.

The presenters glorify firepower and the merits of the AK47, and a young boy demonstrates how a Kalashnikov works.

Viewers are even told they will receive free ammunition when they call to place their orders with the phony advertiser, Teleshop.

The cinema ad is part of a much wider campaign. A glossy mail order "small arms catalog" will be sent to thousands of homes and will feature models posing with machine guns and automatic pistols. A viral e-mail campaign will surprise Internet users with fake special offers for weapons.

If that's not enough, a "roadshow" will tour shopping centers across the country, with people pretending to be company representatives demonstrating the ease with which an AK47 can be assembled and fired.

The mock advertisement will be shown in 300 cinemas, reaching an estimated 2 million people over a four-week period. The viewers are urged to text in their name as part of a petition to the British government urging tough control of the sales of deadly weapons.

"Some people might find our Teleshop advert disturbing. But what's truly shocking is that one person dies every minute from armed violence," Amnesty International U.K .director Kate Allen said.

Arms controls around the world are riddled with loopholes, allowing weapons to be sold to conflict zones and countries that repress and torture their people. The global arms trade is now worth $21 billion a year.

"Shock advertising" isn't a groundbreaking idea. Italian fashion retailer Benetton became synonymous in the 1980s and '90s, with campaigns that used images of a dying AIDS patient and a dead soldier's blood-splattered uniform.

But this time around, it is hoped that the shock tactic might coerce at least 1 million people to join the petition to put the arms control issue on the British government's agenda at a UN meeting in June.

Link to article=abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=1544526&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312&ad=true
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
So, they're going to give the public the impression that these types of weapons can be ordered by anyone in the UK out of a catalog? Nice.

There's really not much to say, other than "whatever".
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't that be so cool to order guns off TV or from mail order to your door?

This is how the gun industry should be run.  Repeal all gun laws including nics check.  If someone can't use a certain right of being a citizen due to being a criminal then why did you let them out of prision to begin with?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else find it ironic that a group dedicated to ending torture and genocide is also dedicated to disarming private citizens?

There is just no understanding the mind of a liberal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is how the gun industry should be run.  Repeal all gun laws including nics check.  If someone can't use a certain right of being a citizen due to being a criminal then why did you let them out of prision to begin with?

Thats how it was prior to the GCA of '68, even Sears had rifles and shotguns you could mail order..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]

A viral e-mail campaign will surprise Internet users with fake special offers for weapons.

If this isn't illegal, it ought to be.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]

. A glossy mail order "small arms catalog" will be sent to thousands of homes and will feature models posing with machine guns and automatic pistols.

I want one of those! maybe vito113 can get  a bunch of the catalogs and send over here?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
That is so stupid they have it all wrong.  There will always be bad and crazy people a shortage of guns will not prevent them from doing wrong.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]
What absolute stupidity.

Gee, they even brought it on after the ice cream makers. Wonder if they troll here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#9]
We can only dream of the day when we can buy guns on the Home Shopping Network!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone else find it ironic that a group dedicated to ending torture and genocide is also dedicated to disarming private citizens?

+1 - That's the first thing that came to my mind.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"Hi, I would like to order that M-240G that you're advertising. Oh, it comes with 1000rd free ammo? That is very reasonable. Here's my CC info... Oh, free 1 day shipping to my house? Sweet!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
What are they trying to do, frighten the Brits into giving up their "assault" candlesticks.

If I were a Brit with any warm blood running in my body, I'd want one of those, JUST BECAUSE someone a little crazier than me might someday have it, someone like the Black Knight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Don't kid yourself.  These people are communists, outright.  If they were in charge of the world, there would need to be another amnesty group to protest their gulags.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#14]
DUPE!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Seems like an awful lot for an AK...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#16]
If any of our limey compatriots gets one of these bogus catalogues, I wouldn't mind if it got sent this way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So, they're going to give the public the impression that these types of weapons can be ordered by anyone in the UK out of a catalog?  

Where?

BTW, fuck 'em

Mark
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Seems like an awful lot for an AK...

I thought so too!  I'd place an order for an MG at that price but some dickhead reprtesenative said I can't have one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#19]
if its full auto at that price I'll take two.  Maybe this could be a new fundraiser for Amnesty International
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

. A glossy mail order "small arms catalog" will be sent to thousands of homes and will feature models posing with machine guns and automatic pistols.

I want one of those! maybe vito113 can get  a bunch of the catalogs and send over here?

+1   Get me on that mailing list!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm still waiting for the ice cream truck driver to start carrying the guns in stock, or for the assault weapons to flood the streets. It's been a year plus and nothing yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Fuck them, besides this BS, they were also the ones that wanted to free Mumia.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm still waiting for the ice cream truck driver to start carrying the guns in stock, or for the assault weapons to flood the streets. It's been a year plus and nothing yet.

You seen any blood filling the streets? I sure haven't.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spots...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Something that many don't  seem to realize is that the loss of rights is part of the sentence that does not end upon release from prison.

Why do so many give a shit about assholes who have most likely contributed to the gun control morons' cause?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I MUST HAVE one of those catalogs.

Ebay!!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't let the truth get in the way of your story....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump because the video made me .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top