Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:23:57 AM EDT
I wanted to punch some holes in a  couple of old propane tanks so the dump will take them and even the fmj's went right through with no problem.
The green tips make larger exit holes, I would have thought it would be the other way around.
Maybe I'm wrong but thats the way it looked.
I'll post pics later if I get the chance.

People who think they could hide behind a car are in for a rude awakening if they ever find themselves in a tight spot.
Even behind the wheel rims is suspect I'm pretty sure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot a huge number of different types of tanks.  Propane and freon type tanks don't seem to present any problems for WWB 55 gr FMJ.  I have had several instances of failure to penetrate when shooting older steel oxygen tanks.  Fire exstinguishers (even the old steel ones) also don't pose a problem.  Next time I go to bang the tanks I will grab a couple of different car rims and give them a whirl.  My shooting distance on all of the above is 63 yards cause that is where my barrier is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]

They make great reactive targets
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
needless propane tank wastage

propane tanks are the same thickness as the guard on the top around the valve.......for reference

oxygen tanks are set up for about 2000lbs of pressure.............propane for 200.  big thickness difference there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I once got a scrap piece of I-beam, about 4" across the flats and nearly a quarter-inch thick steel.

Nosler 55 gr Ballistic Tips went through it like it wasn't there, leaving .30 caliber holes.  I was stunned.

Mild steel is no barrier to high-velocity .22 caliber bullets.  

Apparently steel wheels are hardened steel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]
kegs are fun to shoot too.  empty of course
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Your supposed to refill them...
...with Tannerite

Just keep your head down
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You wanna see all the neat stuff bullets will penetrate ?  Go to a Bulletfest MG shoot.

Nowhere on a car is safe from bullets.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Try shooting a full 20lb'er with a flare taped to it or another ignition sorce around for some REAL fun. Haven't made it to the 20's yet, but me and my buds do it all the time with the smaller Coleman camping tanks. I makes about a 12ft dia Fireball, and is awesome at night. Put one in a car or old refrigerator for even more of a light show.  Just something fun to try when you get tired of shooting at paper targets.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
A .223 will go through at least 5 propane tanks.   Even a .45 acp will go through both sides of a propane tank if shot straight on.  

Both .223 amd 76.2x39 will go through car rims without difficulty.  Brake discs put up a little more fight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MURDERER!!!

NOOOOOOO!!!  The HUMANITY of it all...think of the BEER!!!  

How can you suggest that?

MUST refil and reuse...multiple times!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Anhydrous Ammonia tanks make some mighty fine targets also!!he
(note/disclaimer: do not, I repeat, do not attempt this at home! This is very dangerous and could have caused serious injury and/or death! We performed this experiment in an environment that was closed to the public and no where close to cause damage/injury to anyone/anything)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have shot a huge number of different types of tanks.  Propane and freon type tanks don't seem to present any problems for WWB 55 gr FMJ.  I have had several instances of failure to penetrate when shooting older steel oxygen tanks. Fire exstinguishers (even the old steel ones) also don't pose a problem.  Next time I go to bang the tanks I will grab a couple of different car rims and give them a whirl.  My shooting distance on all of the above is 63 yards cause that is where my barrier is.

We were at the range, banging away at the oxygen tank downrange with 223 & 7.62x39.  Those tanks will take quite a licking from those.

For 'cease fire', my buddy would shoot the tank with his M44.  Even 7.62x54R won't reliably punch a hole in that tank... But it will knock it over.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#15]
before

after
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top