Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 6:08:27 AM EDT
I just received an e-mail saying it will be released on Feb 3.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is an IT guy that says its real.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=37&t=222398&page=1
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sweet. I pre-ordered mine. I'll be getting it from Amazon before any of you chumps!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
K--thanks.  I think I've seen every freaking internet joke there is anyway, so there's no real need to open attachments.  

Me too, I just need to emphasize it to my wife.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]

The Kama Sutra worm, which has numerous aliases, is set to deliver its first destructive payload TOMORROW (February 3). This worm is believed to have infected anywhere from 200,000 to 700,000 computers worldwide.

The worm is programmed to destroy numerous antivirus program files and Microsoft Office document files, thirty minutes after an infected machine is powered up, on the third day of each month.

Microsoft has included detection for this worm in its Malicious Software Removal Tool. However, Microsoft is withholding that update from all but paying members of their "Windows Live Safety" and "OneCare" beta services. Microsoft refuses to release the update to the general public, before their regularly scheduled general update, on February 14th. I will have plenty to say about that in tomorrow's newsletter, believe me.

Whether you believe that you are infected or not, you should take precautionary steps now, just in case. Any documents created by Microsoft Office as well as .rar and .zip archives should be backed up and stored on separate, removable storage, such as a CD or DVD. Files and documents of this type will be corrupted beyond repair on infected machines.

Symantec has released a free tool that will remove the virus. Download the tool and run it, even if you are certain that you are not infected. It is a very small file and you have nothing to lose by running it. You don't want to be wrong and lose your boss's spreadsheets, now do you?
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

If you already have an antivirus program, make certain it is updated and run a full scan of your computer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet. I pre-ordered mine. I'll be getting it from Amazon before any of you chumps!

Let us know how well it works for you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Kama Sutra worm, which has numerous aliases, is set to deliver its first destructive payload TOMORROW (February 3). This worm is believed to have infected anywhere from 200,000 to 700,000 computers worldwide.

The worm is programmed to destroy numerous antivirus program files and Microsoft Office document files, thirty minutes after an infected machine is powered up, on the third day of each month.

Microsoft has included detection for this worm in its Malicious Software Removal Tool. However, Microsoft is withholding that update from all but paying members of their "Windows Live Safety" and "OneCare" beta services. Microsoft refuses to release the update to the general public, before their regularly scheduled general update, on February 14th. I will have plenty to say about that in tomorrow's newsletter, believe me.

Whether you believe that you are infected or not, you should take precautionary steps now, just in case. Any documents created by Microsoft Office as well as .rar and .zip archives should be backed up and stored on separate, removable storage, such as a CD or DVD. Files and documents of this type will be corrupted beyond repair on infected machines.

Symantec has released a free tool that will remove the virus. Download the tool and run it, even if you are certain that you are not infected. It is a very small file and you have nothing to lose by running it. You don't want to be wrong and lose your boss's spreadsheets, now do you?
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

If you already have an antivirus program, make certain it is updated and run a full scan of your computer.

So, if I am reading this correctly, my norton should catch this?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the note Cruze, I will get the update...

I had read in the news this virus is expected to really do damage in India and places around there (3rd world places).

I planned on being firewalled up tomorrow for everything but a little extra file never hurt.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Not as bad as the LORENA BOBBIT worm. It'll turn your hard drive into two 3.5" floppies and then delete THEM!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you keep the virus definitions updated, yes.  Run a full scan of your hard drive(s) just to be safe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes,

It's infected tons of systems already.

It has a destructive payload (removes data) at a later date (I think the 3rd.)  It removes all files with certain extensions, like .zip, .xls, .doc, etc.

It's not something to disregard, but it's also not time for chicken-without-head routines.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you keep the virus definitions updated, yes.  Run a full scan of your hard drive(s) just to be safe.

This virus removes anti-virus software, so your Norton would have to have been up to date with a signature for this virus before your system got infected.

It tries once an hour to remove AV software.

Nasty little bugger, ain't it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I had read in the news this virus is expected to really do damage in India and places around there (3rd world places).

I planned on being firewalled up tomorrow for everything but a little extra file never hurt.

Nothing special will happen tomorrow that a firewall will protect from.  If the system is already infected, it'll be damaged tomorrow.  If it's not, it'll be fine.  There is no surge of infection attempts expected.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmmm powering up pg2
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Your firewall won't make a difference, I'm afraid.  Either you already have it or you don't.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This virus removes anti-virus software, so your Norton would have to have been up to date with a signature for this virus before your system got infected.

It tries once an hour to remove AV software.

Nasty little bugger, ain't it?

So, I am guessing that I need to run the tool posted by cruze5.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I am running the removal tool right now.....I am on dial up and it took less than one second at 44.2kpbs to download the tool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
if you are running symantec products  please download the denitions from this page

latest definitions
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#20]
well i got a newer computer after Christmas and its got all sorts of scanning shit on it...

Symantec, McAfee, so much annoying crap I really hate.  

Personally anyone that creates a virus to harm millions of computers...should be hunted down unmercifuly.....
AND SHOT!!  That would stop that!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I think I'm infected, I got this yesterday:

Subject: Mexican Virus

JOU HAVE YUST RECEIVED A MEHICAN BIRUS!!!!! SINCE WE NOT SO
     TECNOLOHICALLY ADBANCED IN MEHICO, DIS IS A "MANUAL" BIRUS. PLEASE
     DELETE ALL THE FILES ON JOUR HARD DRIVE JOURSELF AND SEND THIS E-MAIL
     TO EBERYONE JOU KNOW.  TAN JOU POR YELPING ME.

JULIO MANUEL JOSE CARLOS ARMANDO RODIRGUEZ LOPEZ MARTINEZ GARCIA,
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I no have thess birus!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Holy Shit that is funny.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top