Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 10:56:22 PM EDT
Read a thread a while back suggesting that cheap vodka when run thru a Brita type water filtering pitcher would make said cheap vodka taste nice and smooth.  Well, tried it tonight, and it works.  Used a Pur brand pitcher, and Popov vodka.  Ran it through 10 times or so, then  mixed it 50/50 with orange juice and drank it as shots.  Watched Super Troopers, did a shot for every 'meow'.  FUN.  Damn, don't post while drunk.....try it, it really takes paint thinner and makes it taste like damn good vodka!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Y'welcome.

Next, get yourself a bottle of everclear and fortify that stuff before you start filtering so you can keep the alcohol content up to 80 proof, and then go to www.brewhaus.com and order some of their gin essences or other essences.

Mmmmm good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Y'welcome.

Next, get yourself a bottle of everclear and fortify that stuff before you start filtering so you can keep the alcohol content up to 80 proof, and then go to www.brewhaus.com and order some of their gin essences or other essences.

Mmmmm good.

No.  BAD idea.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Y'welcome.

Mmmmm good.

No.  BAD idea.....

You're going to lose about 10 proof filtering 5 times.  Add a little everclear to keep it at 80, you'll be "happier."  Also, go to www.brewhaus.com and order a bag of activated carbon, which is the stuff that's in your brita pitcher.  Pour about ten tablespoonfuls into your handle of cheap vodka.  Shake it up a couple times a day for a week or so, leave it to marinate on the window sill.

Then, get a funnel, two coffee filters, and two cotton balls.  Unroll one cotton ball and put it down the neck of the funnel.  Unroll the second one and coil it around the first one at the base of the funnel.  Open the two filters and set one inside the other and set them in the funnel.  Last but not least, pour the vodka through the coffee filters, through the cotton balls, and down the neck of the funnel and into a waiting receptacle.  Much cheaper, works very well, probably cheaper.

After you do this a couple times, take your activated carbon and put it on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven until it stops stinking.  That means your pollutants have burned off and it's time to put that activated carbon back to use again.

This will work forever.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Run it through an aquarium filter then report back!  

I have to know!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Y'welcome.

Mmmmm good.

No.  BAD idea.....

You're going to lose about 10 proof filtering 5 times.  Add a little everclear to keep it at 80, you'll be "happier."  Also, go to www.brewhaus.com and order a bag of activated carbon, which is the stuff that's in your brita pitcher.  Pour about ten tablespoonfuls into your handle of cheap vodka.  Shake it up a couple times a day for a week or so, leave it to marinate on the window sill.

Then, get a funnel, two coffee filters, and two cotton balls.  Unroll one cotton ball and put it down the neck of the funnel.  Unroll the second one and coil it around the first one at the base of the funnel.  Open the two filters and set one inside the other and set them in the funnel.  Last but not least, pour the vodka through the coffee filters, through the cotton balls, and down the neck of the funnel and into a waiting receptacle.  Much cheaper, works very well, probably cheaper.

After you do this a couple times, take your activated carbon and put it on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven until it stops stinking.  That means your pollutants have burned off and it's time to put that activated carbon back to use again.

This will work forever.

WTF?  Why not just buy good Vodka?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Cause this is more fun

Kinda like building vs buying an AR, look at it that way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to piss in your wheaties, but why go through the trouble if you're just going to cut it with OJ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a case of Tito's for $14.40 per bottle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#9]
BTW, thanks P_O.

I did that a couple of months ago after your post.

I ordered the Rasberry essence from Brewhaus.

That shit was AWESOME.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not to piss in your wheaties, but why go through the trouble if you're just going to cut it with OJ?

+1, I was wondering the same.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, I was wondering the same.

Looking for the elusive "can't taste any liquor at all" flavor.  Actually the OJ wasn't my idea, and since I didn't pay for any of this, I didn't have final say.  I'm going to make some infused vodkas this way though, orange and pineapple for sure.  Can someone explain the deal with these essences from brewhaus.com?  Akin to a koolaid packet that adds flavor?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a little 1oz bottle that flavors your vodka.  Add one bottle of essence to a 750mL bottle of vodka and voila.  Their gin essences are absolutely outstanding.  I prefer the essences to Tanqueray and Beefeater.  Especially after filtering the vodka a couple of times.  So good.

I'm not a big fan of the whiskey essences.  I tried the Jakt (Jager) and it's OK, nothing to write home about IMO.  You can make whiskey with oak chips and whatnot, there's recipes out there if you want to take the time to do it.  I'd just rather get a bottle of Evan Williams and call it a day.

Of course, you can just make an infusion with juniper berries and liquorice squares and whatnot to make a kind of juniper schnapps, which I really like.  Frozen fruit and vodka is great.  I made one a while ago with cloves, frozen peach slices, a cinnamon stick, and black cherries.  That was really really good, I am definitely doing that again.

I like to experiment with different things though, this isn't for everybody.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You're going to lose about 10 proof filtering 5 times. .

Maybe you can explain the science here? I have filtered vodka many times with no loss of volume. Since "proof" is a measurement of alchohol by volume and 10proof equals 5% by volume you are saying that you would HAVE to lose volume.Do you condition your filter prior to filtering(i.e. saturate filter with water and then drain)?

Additionally I don't believe that alchohol can/will bond with carbon. Educate me please.

It has been my experience that filtering in excess of three times is little more than an exercise in futility. Also why waste your time unless you are drinking straight?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone in the FAL forum advised me never to shoot ammo from a country where they pissed in the water.

Don't buy booze you have to filter. By the time you get it good to go you could be waxing poetic on some good stuff.

edited for split infinitive
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you can explain the science here? I have filtered vodka many times with no loss of volume. Since "proof" is a measurement of alchohol by volume and 10proof equals 5% by volume you are saying that you would HAVE to lose volume.Do you condition your filter prior to filtering(i.e. saturate filter with water and then drain)?

Additionally I don't believe that alchohol can/will bond with carbon. Educate me please.

It has been my experience that filtering in excess of three times is little more than an exercise in futility. Also why waste your time unless you are drinking straight?

the alcohol evaporates because it contacts the air.  I can measure the alcohol content in my vodka with a thermometer-looking thing called an alcometer, I think.  Mine doesn't say what it's called.  It's been my experience that using a Brita pitcher cost me about 10 proof filtering six times.  YMMV.  I lose almost nothing with the activated carbon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I dont believe that you lose any "proof". In fact, it may go up!(very very slightly)  Because you are filtering out the fusel oils therefor leaving more alcohol to water/oil/contaminants ratio.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I dont believe that you lose any "proof". In fact, it may go up!(very very slightly)  Because you are filtering out the fusel oils therefor leaving more alcohol to water/oil/contaminants ratio.

Interesting idea.  Why don't you try it and see?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#19]
btw.

homedistiller.org
has all this kind of info archived for you alchemists
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#20]
re: filtering more than 3 times....

Well, after three trips thru the pitcher, the Popov was still reeking of paint thinner.  By ten times thru, no aroma, and almost no taste at all.  Going to have to get some of those essences...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Just a thought but what if you heated the vodka, captured the vapors, and distilled it again?  You just need to make sure that you are at a temperature that will boil off the alcohol and not the water.

Would that work or am I way off?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just a thought but what if you heated the vodka, captured the vapors, and distilled it again?  You just need to make sure that you are at a temperature that will boil off the alcohol and not the water.

Would that work or am I way off?

That would be distilling, and you can get in trouble for that.  It's better to buy everclear and vodka, get some activated carbon and whatnot, and just play with that.  No reason to advertise your intent to commit a felony on the interweb.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if this method would make "cheap" Gin taste better.
Guess I'll have to give it a try.
Since I brew beer I have an alcometer, I'll check the before and after alcohol content.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

After experimenting extensively with filtering that is exactly what I do. I buy Tito's for about $25 for a 1.75 liter bottle and I gave my Brita pitcher to one of my friends who wants to waste his time filtering shit.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought that your kidneys and liver were there to filter liquor?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top