Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 8:32:45 PM EDT
I had about 5 months with nothing to do work wise I went on terminal leave, got paid for 60 days, had some money from a real estate deal, savings on top of that as a cushion, still in the reserves so I did some IDT drills and ADT (got paid). Now I am going to school full time and getting my GI Bill money but it has been difficult to get back in the groove of having responsibility (to school anyway). Life going by with "nothing" to do was fun and boring at the same time, I'm almost happy to have a schedule now. If I hit the lottery I think I would go insane from not having the structured responsibility
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
A few years ago I quit my job and moved back to my home state.  I planned on taking an extended vacation, I lived off savings for about a year.  I would definitely not go crazy without a job.  I loved it.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a divorce, quit my job because of stress, and sold some real estate. I paid off my mortgage, got custody of my kids, and bought another house. I was able to live off that money for three years before I had to go back to work part-time.
I'm still spoiled, I just wish I had gotten another job after I quit but I had a lot of things on my mind to resolve at the time..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
When I got out, I had 30 days terminal leave.  My plan was to burn my leave and collect unemployment benefits for a few weeks, relax and look for a job.  Within two weeks, I was going bat-shit stir crazy, worked p/t at an electronics sub-assembly contractor building robots before finding a f/t job.  I lasted 7 weeks at the new f/t job.  I left to work in NYC with a better company and lasted 4.5 years.  I took one week off before starting with my present employer.

So, after getting out of the service in late 94, I have had about 4 weeks off with no job.  I need a vacation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I just retired the last day of November 2006 2005.  WOW I goofed on the date... no one ever does that!  Federal hazardous duty 20 year retirement.  I have stayed busy with the transition and stuff needed done around the house.  I have about a months worth of stuff to keep me busy yet... then I will need to find a job or start a business to keep me busy.

As much as I have enjoyed the time off... and it makes getting things done so much easier as I do not have to take time off to get vehicles services or meet with my investment banker or what-ever.  I am in no hurry to get a job until I have all the transition tasks over.  The last one relates to a workman's comp settlement on my hearing loss.  AND hopefully buying a new truck or car

Once they get my monthy checks right... I can live on them.  the first two months with only $81.00 a month... they really screwed up the calculations!!!  But they will eventually get it sorted out... and I will be fine.  BUT... at 51 years old... I am too young to do the full retirement stay home thing!

Once I start the grind again... I think I will really miss the freedom of totally having my day to do as I please!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I got laid off shortly after 9/11.  Decided I didn't want to look for work before the holidays.  Had plenty of savings to spend (it's pretty much all gone now).

Best 6 months ever.  All day to do everything or nothing.  I still have too many hobbies, so I can waste mucho time with zero effort.

If I could win the lottery, I'd be made, and start some new, more expensive hobbies, like Class 3, real estate, cars, etc.

Having to work for a living sucks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad I am not the only one who enjoys being out of work.  I resigned last fall, had all I could take of it.  The new job I was wanting to get didn't work out.  Wife has a pretty decent job so she told me not to worry, take my time finding something I want.  

Last 4 months have been great.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just retired the last day of November 2006. !

You went in a time machine and retired in the future? you lost me dude.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Ive been off since dec 16 because of surgery, i enjoy it, i imagine id enjoy it less if i wasent getting 100% pay,but i am so i dont.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Going stir crazy, would love to have something to do. Just can't find work with my degree.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I was laid off last May....I love it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me guess... you are a board grammar Nazi too.  Shoot me... I made a mistake!

November 2005.  I even edited my original post!

Are you un-lost now?!

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just retired the last day of November 2006. !

You went in a time machine and retired in the future? you lost me dude.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top