Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 10:18:29 PM EDT
what is a pre ban tec 9 with one 15 and one 30 round mag worth...being about 90% condition with no case or papers.  

Also, what accessories can one get for the tec 9...does anyone know of a web-site that has accessories or a person and phone # or e-mail...

thanks,
medcop

I am buying one from a friend and don't want to get burned...thanks again
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually paying for a TEC-9 will get you burned.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
why so...are you saying they are junk?  I want to add one to my collection of strange and unusual evil feature weapons.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes they are junk, I own two, they jam every other shot, but they do look evil.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
it's without a doubt a P>O>S>.....better off throwing rocks...
IMHO....same money will get you a Cobray M11 still not accurate but better with the same features.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't want to get burned, don't buy it; Tec-9's are junk.  Yeah, they're fun for about 10 minutes, but when you realize you can't hit the broad side of a barn with one, the novelty quickly wears off.

I guess about $250-300 would be about right, but honestly, compared to a Tec-9, you'd be much better off with a decent pistol...or even just a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
hmmm...getting me worried about this...What if I could get it for under $200...heck, from what I hear maybe I should not get it....

Also, it has a threaded barrel, but not a shroud like the many I have seen...anyone know anything about them...I have no clue about them at all....any help with variations and crap like that would be great...thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not get that Tec9 look-a-like.

Something that starts with a "K".

Looks eXactly like a Tec9.  Shrouded barrel and all.

Does anyone recall the name of this fine weapon?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hmmm...getting me worried about this...What if I could get it for under $200...heck, from what I hear maybe I should not get it....

Also, it has a threaded barrel, but not a shroud like the many I have seen...anyone know anything about them...I have no clue about them at all....any help with variations and crap like that would be great...thanks
View Quote

Well there it is in LIVING COLOR. They made a movie about this. Guy asks for advice. Guy gets
advice. Guy ignores advice. Guy gets fucked.
Guy cries and whines.
HAHAHAHA PT was wrong, its not a sucker born
every minute, its every second!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You might be thinking of the Kimmel AP9...bigger pos and harder to clean!

For $200 bucks it's ok for a plinker if its in good shape? for $350 you can get a brand new M11 Cobray. The Cobray's have more accessories including a full carbine barrel stock assembly. If I were you I'd save the $200 and when you get more money saved up buy a quality gun you'll be glad you did.
Are you looking for Evil features or what? Rifle? pistol? Shotgun?
$150 will get you a Ruger 10/22 you'll get a lot more use out of it and cheaper to shoot and 100 times more accurate!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
i'm not ignoring advice...i am taking it very strongly...I am now thinking resale for profit...if i can get it for under $200 more like $175 and sell it and make $50 - $75  I just want to know the variations and if certain ones are worth more than others....

Hell, I don't want a weapon around that I can't hit anything with...even if it does look cool...i really don't want one around that jams all the time....man, nothing pisses me off more than a weapon that jams every third shot or so....

.maybe I should just buy it...re-sell it and buy another AR lower receiver....hmm...i know you can hit with an AR.

I am actually just looking for something diff...I have an AR, 870, 10/22, 1911, SKS, I just want something diff to play with..but If everyone says the tec 9 is junk..then so be it...anyone else have any suggestions on unusual looking weapons that don't cost an arm and a leg?  thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Why even bother wasting your time trying to make a couple dollars on it ???
You'll just piss off the next owner by selling him a piece of shit...

ALL the advice so far has said NOT to buy it PERIOD.

My advice is the same.

2 of my 3 brothers each own the later version, the AB-10.

They both broke firing pins after a couple boxes of ammo...

Any more questions ???
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup- its a Kimmel AP-9, as I recall.  Same sort of crap as the Tec, but different body style.

I forgot to mention though, there is ONE reason to buy a Tec - to support Navegar.  The one thing I will say for the Tec-9 - I have immense respect for Navegar (the company that makes the Tec).  I don't like their product (mainly for its low quality) but they have been at the forefront of a lot of anti-gun litigation.  They are always the target of the antis, and they always fight back.  They even brought a challenge to the 1994 AWB to the supreme court (the SCOTUS did not hear the case, but Navegar fought every inch they could).  You've got to respect that sort of willingness to fight back when other bigger gun companies have simply knuckled under.  So if you've got money to burn on a gun that doesn't shoot well, go buy a [i]new[/i] Tec-9 to help support Navegar.  Otherwise, don't buy one, you'll just be aggrevated with the damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
intratec still makes these without the shroud and threading and calls them ab-10's. They cost less than $200 NIB. They are absolute crap. you can pick up a hs2000 for about the same as the pre-ban tec 9. If you want it just so you can own another banned weapon then go for it.

F#$k the liberal pu$$ies.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's one of the stainless finish (K-Kote) ones buy it hold onto it then sell it for $400 or so. Otherwise it really isn't worth the case it's sitting in....(Only say that because I have seen those sell)
I noticed you didn't mention you had an AK?
You can get an AK varient for about $300 that will be more worth while to own....
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup- its a Kimmel AP-9, as I recall.  Same sort of crap as the Tec, but different body style.
View Quote

Thanks shaggy.  

That's does sound like the same worthless POS I saw in a gun joint before.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
"Also, what accessories can one get for the tec 9...does anyone know of a web-site that has accessories or a person and phone # or e-mail..."

Phone number...? Website...?  Nah, you don't need those!

Just drive down to the "hood", and check in with some of the local illegal controlled substance dealers you will encounter.  Inquire of them what the most popular accesories they would recommend.

I would suggest using a rental car for the trip, since carjacking is also a popular activity in these locations.

Remember, the TEC can be counted on to fire at least the first shot before jamming...

"I am buying one from a friend and don't want to get burned."

Is your friend smiling alot as he talks about his gun to you?  If so, could be you are about to solve a problem for him.[:P]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Geez...I knew it first and never get credit!
Shaggy sniped me!

LOL
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, I admit it.

I too was gonna get a POS Tec9 before just to piss off the anti's.

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shaggy sniped me!

LOL
View Quote

Sorry Beagles - I started writing right after Ulysse_Nardin_1846 posted, but I've got stubby fingers and I type slow, so it didn't get up for a while.  [:)]

...and of course I was too lazy to edit it...
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
OKAY, I am not going to by the piece of crap, worthless, jamming, part replacing Tec9!

hehe..i din't know i would get so many responses on this subject.  Also, I learned something....tec 9's are JUNK!  

I would like to thank everyone who relied..and saved me a pain in the butt.  I guess my friend is stuck with it...heck, I am sure he can sell it to someone who knows nothing about them (like me) but will not research them....

thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#21]
At least you were smart enough to ask BEFORE buying the gun...

I usually ask after it's too late.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Please don't buy it. I had one that jammed perpetually, and in one instance, the rear sight fell off. I JB Welded it, spray painted over it, and passed it off at a gun show. I still feel guilty about that. I only hope some that some gangbangin POS pulled that POS Tec9 and got his self whacked by a cop or citizen with a real gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You might be thinking of the Kimmel AP9...bigger pos and harder to clean!

For $200 bucks it's ok for a plinker if its in good shape? for $350 you can get a brand new M11 Cobray. The Cobray's have more accessories including a full carbine barrel stock assembly. If I were you I'd save the $200 and when you get more money saved up buy a quality gun you'll be glad you did.
Are you looking for Evil features or what? Rifle? pistol? Shotgun?
$150 will get you a Ruger 10/22 you'll get a lot more use out of it and cheaper to shoot and 100 times more accurate!
View Quote

Thanks to you too Beagles747.

Somehow I missed your reply.  Maybe it was delayed?

I swear it wasn't there when I saw shaggy's post about the POS Kimmel.

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#24]
LOL!!!

No biggy. I did have one of those about 5 years ago it was very hard to break down to clean and had a nice 16" group at 15 feet!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shaggy sniped me!

LOL
View Quote

Sorry Beagles - I started writing right after Ulysse_Nardin_1846 posted, but I've got stubby fingers and I type slow, so it didn't get up for a while.  [:)]

...and of course I was too lazy to edit it...
View Quote

Ok, complimentary raffle ticket to the both of you.

Grand prize is your choice:

- Tec9 POS
- Kimmel AP9 POS

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll donate my raffle ticket to charity.....
Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll donate my raffle ticket to charity.....
Thanks...
View Quote

If I had one, I would donate it to the NRA firearms museum.

If they'll have it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually the earlier Tec9 was the KG9. It was an open bolt that could be easily converted to FA. And of course the BATF came in & made them make some changes, mainly making them closed bolt weapons. The models made after that, IIRC, are the KG99, Tec9, Tec DC9 & the AB10.

I have owned a few & not really had any problems with them except when I used after market mags. The one I have now has never jammed & is quite accurate as well. For $200 I would buy it, considering the Blue Book value for a 90% Tec9 is $315 & I've seen them on the auctions going for around $400 & up.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I am probably the only guy in the world who Actually  hit the side of a barn with a TEC-9. I was INSIDE the barn trying to clear a jam. Save your money
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:00:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I have one and it also is a jammer, I reloaded every type of bullet,changed bullet seating depths, polished the feed ramp and chamber and it still jambs. I paid $200 used, I keep it just because it looks cool. I can't understand why this gun, with such a bad reputation for jamming, is so hated by the antis, it shows how uninformed their leaders are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top