Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:23:31 PM EDT
I received an invite to go wild boar hunting in a couple of weeks, and I'm thinking I'll take one of my milsurp or mil style rifles. I only own 9mm pistols so I'll be taking my Glock as my sidearm (which they strongly recommend for wild boar hunting) so no 1911 unfortunately.

Right now I'm leaning towards my Springfield Armory August 1943 M1, but my other choices are my M1A and a real nice BYF42 Mauser 98k.

Any thoughts on which to take, or any thoughts on wild boar hunting? Experiences?

Any specific ammo recommendations? I want to stop this thing in it's tracks and not piss it off with FMJs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
M4 with 75gr TAP
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend went javalina hunting in AZ, and he shot one dead on with an AR15, it just dropped dead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, two votes for the AR. Hadn't even considered that. I might need a poll on this one...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesnt really matter any of them will stop a wild hog DRT use any commercially available hunting ammo.   The unstoppable bullet proof Wild Boar is a myth.  Good shot placement with just about any bullet will be a dead on the spot porker.   I killed a 80 lb little porker with a 17HMR behind the ear.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It doesnt really matter any of them will stop a wild hog DRT use any commercially available hunting ammo.   The unstoppable bullet proof Wild Boar is a myth.  Good shot placement with just about any bullet will be a dead on the spot porker.   I killed a 80 lb little porker with a 17HMR behind the ear.

That is your target.

.223 will drop them in their tracks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a good excuse to pick up a M44!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
a bayonet !
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow....I think you guys are nuts...an AR for a wildboar???

Taking a havalina with one is nothing...but a wild pig???

Those fucker can run upwards of 400 pounds and one thick ass hide...many have been known to charge completely unprovoked....

I'd go .06 at the least....

And I'd go out and buy a .45 with some nice ammo, good excuse for a new gun

Either that or a Smith .50
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Yossarian: I though a javaline was a wild boar, but I guess it is not the same "animal."  In that case I would go with an 308Win with some soft points.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
In my experience 30-30 and .243 have worked very well, anything larger is A-ok though. I don't know about .223/5.56, seems a litle under powered for those tough bastards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#11]
.308 Winchester
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ever shot anything with a .223?

Yep......

Those fucker can run upwards of 400 pounds and one thick ass hide...many have been known to charge completely unprovoked....

Yep again.

Cool.

A .223 would plant a 400 lb boar, without so much as a single step. Aim for the area right behind the ear. On a 400 lb pig that area would be 16 to 18 inches across and would plant his ass.

A pig's vitals are right behind thier front shoulder, not behind like most game animals.
EDIT for clarity.
The vitals are hidden behind the shoulder, much further forward than a deer.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have killed alot of pigs..... never had one charge me unprovoked.... they usually run real fast in the opposite direction.   I have killed them with everything from the afore mentioned 17 HMR to Belted Magnums.    I have killed quite a few at 400+ yards with a 22-250.  I think you will find the ballistics of a 55 grn bullet out of 22-250  at 400 yards to be on par with a 55 grn out of a 223 at closer ranges 100 yards and under.   22-250 way out there dropped them with one shot kills to heart lung area.   Killed a 230 lb sow with a Ruger Mini-14 at 60 yards one shot right behind the  shoulder = sausage.  

Only time I have been charged was after sticking one with an arrow and he didnt appreciate it very much.

Having to deal with a charging pig I would rather have a 10/22 preferably 10/22 magnum than a bow.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever shot anything with a .223?

Yep......

Yep again.

Cool.

A .223 would plant a 400 lb boar, without so much as a single step. Aim for the area right behind the ear. On a 400 lb pig that area would be 16 to 18 inches across and would plant his ass.

A pig's vitals are right behind thier front shoulder, not behind like most game animals.

I shoot them behind the shoulder but when it is in the forward position no problem to get to vitals
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yossarian: I though a javaline was a wild boar, but I guess it is not the same "animal."  In that case I would go with an 308Win with some soft points.

Well, they are wild, more like big feral pigs that have changed from the nice cosy pink piggies to ugly mean sob's....I think they get up to maybe 50-60 pounds....

They are mean little bastards though, but .223 should be adequate to dump them.

javelinahunter.com

Pardon me, I misspelled it the first time.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#16]
any of the above mentiened rifles
I think 223 is a bit light when you have other choices
I vote for the M1A  just cuz i like them
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I shoot them behind the shoulder but when it is in the forward position no problem to get to vitals

Shoot them behind the ear if you don't want to track them.

www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

There ya go.

Credit Kevin Ryer of TexasBoars.com with the photos
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Nuke them from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure...

Seriously I always believe you should use enough gun and if in doubt... overkill it.  Too much gun is rarely a problem, especially with medium to big game.  Look at all the Impala shot in Africa with .458's with good results.

If it can charge and has tusks, why piddle around?  I say .30 caliber or larger if you have one.  A .223 would probably be ok though.

I know the whole shot placement argument has merit.  WDM Bell shot elephants with 7x57 Mausers.  Doesn't necessarily make it a good idea...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have killed alot of pigs..... never had one charge me unprovoked.... they usually run real fast in the opposite direction.   I have killed them with everything from the afore mentioned 17 HMR to Belted Magnums.    I have killed quite a few at 400+ yards with a 22-250.  I think you will find the ballistics of a 55 grn bullet out of 22-250  at 400 yards to be on par with a 55 grn out of a 223 at closer ranges 100 yards and under.   22-250 way out there dropped them with one shot kills to heart lung area.   Killed a 230 lb sow with a Ruger Mini-14 at 60 yards one shot right behind the  shoulder = sausage.  

Only time I have been charged was after sticking one with an arrow and he didnt appreciate it very much.

Having to deal with a charging pig I would rather have a 10/22 preferably 10/22 magnum than a bow.  

Wow, I am suprised by that...I beleive you...just didn't think it could get through all the fat and have enough left to do enough damage.

I stand corrected....but I would still go bigger than .223

Regarding being charged.  We had some biologists in California working in an area with wildpigs/boars....they were charged a number of times and would not go in the field without someone who had a nice sized rifle at hand.  Unfortunately that someone was not me:(
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
.12 ga slug

works every time

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I gaurantee I have 4 ARs that will take it down and then some............AR10s.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There ya go.

If shoot just a little higher and forward of his elbow there  its right on the money and right where I like to take the shot
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There ya go.

If shoot just a little higher and forward of his elbow there  its right on the money and right where I like to take the shot

I haven't shot a pig with a gun in several years. I have lost track of how many I have killed with a gun.

I shoot about 20 more a year with my bow, the aimpoint you describe is my target with my bow. You will be much more successful killing them within 20 yards with a quatering away shot instead of broadside, which can be as much as a 400 yard blood trail. Over the years I learned to wait on that broadside shot.

That is experience of more than 100 bow kills alone on pigs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Javalina is techinally a rodent not in the same family as a boar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Um, actually Javalinas (Peccaries) are more closely related to pigs, hippos, and bears.

The Capybara is the largest rodent in the world and similar in appearance and weight, but definitely NOT a Javelina...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Me and my buddy are planning to go boar hunting in central CA sometime in early June. I am taking my .308 Tikka T3 and he has a .30-06 Savage. I will probably use 165-180gr SP, and he will stay in the 150-165gr range. We dont plan on using any of the uber-advanced soft points, just the plain old kind like Rem Core-lokts or Federal Power Shok. I will probably take a sidearm... my S&W .357magnum and he will bring his SA 1911 too(not just for protection from the critters, but the two-legged threats you might meet out there as well).

Your 8mm 98k would be plenty powerful for a hog. Pick up some Wolf Gold 8mm 196gr SP ammo and mount a scope w/ a S&K scout mount and you got a mighty fine pig killer(actually, the 8mm can handle just about anything you might stumble upon).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#27]
.22lr...it's all about shot placement!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My friend went javalina hunting in AZ, and he shot one dead on with an AR15, it just dropped dead.

Don't bank on ANY one shot kill.  Make sure you have a backup plan, be it a sidearm or even a knife.  And don't trust that only the boars are dangerous.  A sow with piglets (even without) can and will fu** you over.

I rarely kill them (feral hogs) around here with the intent to eat them.  They are a terribly distructive nuissance.  Therefore I prefer my Sako 7mm Rem. Mag.  It has plenty of reach and rarely leaves a mobile target.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#29]
if you are talking BOAR a 9 will do the job, and be  a man and pistol hunt WART HOGS, with a GD 10mm!

Rifle!! Pussy!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Real experience here...

Mr. Piggie #1
.308WIN w/168gr Nosler CT Ballistic Tip (Ruger M77), 90 yards, perfect heart shot thru the shoulder, in and out on the other side.  The 300+ pound boar stumbled once when hit, then walked 100+ yards navigating a creekbed before bleeding out.  Simply a muscle hit that was lethal, but mr. piggie had all his mental capabilities about him.

Mr. Piggie #2
.223REM w/55gr Sierria GameKing (AR15 16" carbine), 60 yards, perfect shot behind the ear.  The 75lb boar was Dear Right There.  Not one step, nadda.  End of story.  Saw the whole thing thru the scope.  Bang! Drop!  Dead!.

So there you go.  The little .223 that could....  and no meat waste either.

IMO, shot placement rules over caliber within nominal ranges.

YMMV.

ETA:
Retract yardage figure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top