Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 1:14:50 PM EDT
Where did all the Radio Shack branded products go? No speakers, electronics, etc.

Why do they think they can compete with BestCircuitcityBuy etc on real commodities?

Where did they go wrong?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Circuit City is owned by Radio Shack.
Most of the Radio Shack branded stuff is made by the other companies anyway
ETA: I can't find any info on the Circuit City Radio Shack connection so I might be mistaken
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
All the radio shack brand stuff was made by panasonic I believe. Might be the wrong company but it was one of the major ones. I used to work there
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Circuit City is owned by Radio Shack.
Most of the Radio Shack branded stuff is made by the other companies anyway

. . . and if you can find the same items in another store, they'll likely be much less expensive.

M.L.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I think my largest purchase ever from a Radio Shack was $1.39 for some fuses. I have no idea how they are still in business.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think my largest purchase ever from a Radio Shack was $1.39 for some fuses. I have no idea how they are still in business.

I doubt those fuses you bought cost them more than $.15 ...

I worked there through college and they used to really stress selling what they called this "force feed" stuff because of the profit margin.

Ah, that was a fun job back in the day.  I had some psycho's come through there though.  I don't miss that part of it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Radio Shack...You've got questions...We've got dumb looks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
20 years ago you could fix most of your electronics--TV's, stereos, radios. Now everything is proprietary and made using surface mount components, or driven by a large CPU loading its programming from flash memory.

For a serious electronics hobbyist Radio Shack no longer stocks the required components.

Radio shack mostly sells mobile phone and beeper service. The guys that work there are clueless about electronics.

Tandy and Radio Shack brands were always known for being conservative, low performance stuff based on old designs.

I don't know how they are in business either. If you have a Fry's Electronics around you, that is what Radio Shack would have become if they weren't stuck to the franchise business model.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top