Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2001 9:15:21 PM EDT
The sentiments and mindset of this country were made patently clear to me yesterday. I was coming home from my LSAT class when I walked through the bookstore in the mall. I picked up a book and talked to some people. I was distracted and then left with the people forgetting I had the book. I got all the way to my car and then realized I had the book. I ran back as fast as I could, and announced to the cashier that I had just walked out with the book. He thought it remarkable that someone would walk all the way back to pay for a book. Told me I was a great customer. And I did a very nice thing. Since when did just doing the right thing become something special. When I went to pay with m credit card he said "aww.. thats a nice looking card". It was the NRA card with the flag on it. I thought he recognized it was the NRA card and replied that not many peopkle have the NRA credit card, to which his expression soured. He made some stupid anti comment about it.

Just goes to show the mentality of the people out there. So untrusting, and then quick to judge.

Anyone else practice "random acts of kindness" and the like only to have people marvel at you?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell with me no good act goes unpunished. I have opened doors for womenz at the store and got dirty looks or completely ignored. I told another womenz that she dropped her car keys on the ground and I was told "mind your own business".

People now days are damn rude and have no manners at all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By enemy of the state:
The sentiments and mindset of this country were made patently clear to me yesterday. I was coming home from my LSAT class when I walked through the bookstore in the mall. I picked up a book and talked to some people. I was distracted and then left with the people forgetting I had the book. I got all the way to my car and then realized I had the book. I ran back as fast as I could, and announced to the cashier that I had just walked out with the book. He thought it remarkable that someone would walk all the way back to pay for a book. Told me I was a great customer. And I did a very nice thing. Since when did just doing the right thing become something special. When I went to pay with m credit card he said "aww.. thats a nice looking card". It was the NRA card with the flag on it. I thought he recognized it was the NRA card and replied that not many peopkle have the NRA credit card, to which his expression soured. He made some stupid anti comment about it.

Just goes to show the mentality of the people out there. So untrusting, and then quick to judge.

Anyone else practice "random acts of kindness" and the like only to have people marvel at you?
View Quote

Hmm.  What LSAT class are you taking?  

I just took the test during the June administration.  If you want any advice about it, just ask and I'll see what I can do.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Like it or not honesty is pretty rare these days, come down South,we still say "yes sir", and please and best of all thankyou. The South may be backward in some ways but I like it that way..
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes .....sadly honesty is a rare quality these days especially with young people. I have worked as a Store detective in retail and grocery stores over 7 years now and sadly I must say the majority of people that steal think they did nothing wrong and the "world" owes them a freebie. Parents, society to blame???
Also here's a statistic that will make you think and look a little more closely to the people around you. As a national average 33% of all employees steal from their work place. So, think about it...you got 100 guys working with you and on average 33 of them are ripping off your company!
At least I have the comfort of Job security.....

John
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with Confederate Ya'll come on down heah! Its a whole different world. And the womenz just LOVE that door opening thing!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Enemy of the State, the best part of it all was paying with a NRA card. You have forever skewed that cashiers preconceived notion of NRA members.

That person probably will never give credit or mention the story of the "honest NRA member" he met, but in the back of his mind he knows what is true from personal experience. And he will always be uneasy with that conflict. Good job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes it must be true, no good deed goes unpunished. I remember when I was 15, and working as a cart boy at my local Shopers food wharehouse I droped $5 on the ground. There was a man behind me and I turned around thinking it was his. I said excuse me sir is that $5 yours. He looked me in the eye, and smiled and said "Yes it is , thank you." Right after he left, I checked my pockets where I kept my tips, and my $5 was missing. Lying son of a bitch!
That type of stuff just makes my conviction to be a better person stronger.
BTW I'm taking the october LSAT. Studying with Kaplan right now. Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought 2 12-packs of Old Style beer yesterday

Gave me a warm fuzzy to go along with my cold buzzy...[;D]

Semper Fi!

Ken Little
View Quote

You actually paid for old pyle? [;)]
It can get you nice and buzzy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There would be more honesty if folk's remembered they will one day stand in judgement.  Fewer and fewer people believe
View Quote
It would be a better world if more folk were honest [i][b]without[/i][/b] the threat of some all-powerful being sitting in judgement staring over their shoulders.  Self-respect and empathy for others should be all that is necessary.  It is for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top